Berleyguts

I might just have to buy a lottery ticket! All the planets must have aligned for me, there were no health issues at home and no dramas and I actually managed a fishing trip for the first time in many months... and to top it off, all went smoothly on the water and the boat and motor performed extremely well. 😂

Launched at Little Beach ramp with the wind blowing a tad more than I’d been expecting - makes for a battle launching solo. 🤔 I was out of the heads by 6am and stopped at Cabbage Tree Island to get livies. Filled the tank with slimies quite quickly then headed for Broughton Island. It was a slow run as the swells, although not big, were close together with a bit of wind chop. I tried the Sisters first, fishing with plastics and drifting a bridled slimey out the back. Tried about 3 drifts but the direction wasn’t too good, so I moved north of the island and got a better drift. Had a couple of little hits on the plastic but it was a lot of fruitless casts. I dropped a paternoster rig out the back and got a few undersized snapper. The slimey was going crazy, so there was something about. I caught a rat king on the paternoster so it might have been that. On the second drift, as I dropped the paternoster rig, something hit the bait on the way down and line screamed off. I flipped the bail arm over and line kept screaming off. It was quite a tussle but I could feel that head thump and I thought I might be onto a decent snapper, finally! As I got the fish to the boat, I realised I had a triple hookup... an undersized snapper on the top hook, a thumper on the second hook and a big assed sergeant baker on the bottom jig! The snapper went 57cm, my PB for NSW. and I was stoked! I did a few more drifts and managed one pannie but mostly undersized snapper and lost two live baits, one to a bonito and one to a small shark.

I fished an inshore reef on the way home, hoping for a beakie. I found a huge school of bait and worked the area thoroughly with livies but couldn’t raise anything and turned the boat south for a bumpy ride home. Stopped for a quick flathead drift and got a nice blue spot (44cm) but mostly small ones and back to the ramp about 1.

Geez, it was good to finally get out again after so long!

E006B46E-75AD-488F-BD4E-22E8E9FC0663.jpeg

8A897C24-7AA1-49E5-AB77-5366544740D7.jpeg

5E166C0A-E03B-42E4-94BF-2EFB109E6721.jpeg

829734C7-2621-453B-8DA1-C96FA3AE87FC.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
FFS
  • Like 17

Great result and write up Baz ... looks like the troubled waters are behind you and it’s smooth sailing ahead ! 
I just came of a dry spell having been off the water since September and can vouch it’s hard to beat the feeling of that first run to your fav spot and the first crank of the reel handle. 
cheers Zoran

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...