Rabbit out of the hat at Broughton

GoingFishing

Im happy to report that the tuna steaks were an absolute hit on the bbq. Between 15 people (yes we were a big group) we all but annihilated all the tuna steaks....plus the usual other bbq suspects we put on the grill.

Simple recipe, olive oil, chilli, pepper, lemon and garlic. Cooked medium rare they are a treat. Melt in your mouth

20201208_194609(0).jpg

• Like 5

Great write up & photos @GoingFishing well done on the mixed double header, reckon that bream didn’t know what hit him & then got dragged around 😎

Cograts on the yellowfin @Scratchie good to see one caught in close again 👍👍hopefully you stumble across another one or two sooner than later, another twenty years & you’ll be an old grandpa 😂🤣

My effort, really need some tips you chef badges!!!! 

DCF3FEF2-8E93-48C5-ACF9-B5E679552060.thumb.jpeg.ae388596c7e51547584f8392b2a4b843.jpeg

Nothing wrong with that dish 😋 fresh & simple is delicious 😋 yum

• Like 5

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks Baz. Hope you found some time to get out this week!

Thanks, Sam. I actually got out on Friday. I didn’t get anything worth reporting but it was so good to be out on the water after such a long hiatus - only my 3rd trip since COVID, I think. I’ll definitely have to make it happen a lot more often! This Thursday’s a slim chance... 🤷‍♂️.

Again, a great report. I enjoy reading reports of other Raider’s efforts. 😎

9C99C2D0-D09C-41A3-8D5D-E95188C7CF95.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Welster said:

That change of tactics paid off big time!  Whiskers will be there for  another round in the future, having YFT come through and managing to land would be such a rush.   Good thing it hit the heavier rod too. 

Definitely got the heart pumping when I finally realised what it was! Sam did a great job with no gaff! I must admit, I was nervous 😬 

After speaking with the locals up here, no one can recall a YFT being caught at the island the past 30-40 years. 😳 

Goes to show, fishraiders can do anything! Lol 😝 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Definitely got the heart pumping when I finally realised what it was! Sam did a great job with no gaff! I must admit, I was nervous 😬 

After speaking with the locals up here, no one can recall a YFT being caught at the island the past 30-40 years. 😳 

For sure that tail grab would of been a big relief.  Top job Sam 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That is incredible Jeff. 
raiders rule 👏🎣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Ill also admit...i was nervous ! First time catching a tuna and no gaff ! Alot of pressure to get it right i tell ya especially when its head barely fit in the net 😬😬

Thats good old murphy for you ! But we came out on top🤙🤙

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Ill also admit...i was nervous ! First time catching a tuna and no gaff ! Alot of pressure to get it right i tell ya especially when its head barely fit in the net 😬😬

Thats good old murphy for you ! But we came out on top🤙🤙

🙏🙏🙏

Tataki!!!

I do mine with the same ‘log’ cut of tuna, but otherwise different:

Coat log with raw sesame seeds before cooking. Use the browning seeds as a guide for how done the fish is.

Slice thinly and serve with a dressing just like KC’s marinade, plus chives and a raw egg yolk. Maybe some pickled veg

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders

I received a last minute invitation to join a few friends up to Port Stephens for the week. A few calls later and with leave approved at work it was on. 

Of course, it would have been silly to visit this beautiful place without reaching out to local legend @Scratchie to say hello and to also invite him onboard for a fish.

Jeff and i had tried to get this meet together for a few years now but logistics proved difficult the last few times. It was all very last minute but luckily Jeff had an opening and we locked it in for Monday morning !

So we met at the ramp at 5am and were on our merry way. A quick sound around cabbage tree island for bait but none there so we moved on to maximise fishing the first light. Scratchie fished plastics whilst i stuck to baits with a pea sized sinker.

Scratchie did a fantastic job explaining and navigating the many marine parks around the islands all whilst imparting his wisdom about plastics fishing for snapper (at which i am yet yo learn). There was plenty of bait stacked on the sounder but the reds just werent there.

As we approached the edge of a reef Scratchie proceeded to tell me about the David and Goliath battle that has been unfolding over the last few years between him and whiskers... "this is where Whiskers lives Sam". A few casts later and Jeff had a huge strike followed by an immediate bust off.  Jeff was absolutely gutted, but did a great job holding in the dissappointment. To quote " you would have learnt a few new words Sam" 🤣

We proceeded to move around the island fishing the permitted zones when we came across some surface action. We wacked on two lures in the Christmas tree colors and did some trolling. On the first pass we managed a double hook up of two rat kings, second pass one more rat and then third pass had a huge strike on Jeff's Saragosa. The head shakes were violent followed by a huge run. Jeff played the fish like a champ and we both agreed it was a solid king. I soon noticed the boat was spinning in circles and it was just about this time Jeff had the fish in sight and said " its a Tuna!!, a yellowfin" 

Both panic and excitement racheted up to the next level. Do you have a gaff ? Nope, shit how do we get it in the boat. Try getting its head in the net, didnt work.

In the end i just reached over grabbed the tail and lifted it into the boat. An unexpected but welcome catch ! High fives all round.

@Scratchie thanks for an awesome day on the water mate, good company, good fishing in one of the best places in Australia.

Ps @Berleyguts we both discussed it and agreed that any replies to this post are forbidden from including any mention of chores, housework etc etc 😅

Thanks for reading fellas.

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

Nice one fellas 👌

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...