Entrance Whiting

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Had an afternoon free yesterday after a busy few days. Old mate Ralph rang and said hes bored. So we packed the car and did a last minute trip down to the entrance. 

Arrive at 7pm and the whiting were on. It was good fishing between 7 and 930 when the current started to reallly run hard. But we fished on till midnight bagging a few more legals. Plenty of seagrass in the water too which was quite a pain in the arse.

We managed a nice bag between us two using tube worms as bait on a size 6 long shank. Fish ranged between 35 and legal size. Fisheries came through around 10pm checking fish. They were very pleasant but it sad to report alot of people got caught with undersize fish. Good on them for getting out there and enforcing whats right.

Interesting observation. The red long shanks outfished the black long shanks by far. Anyone else encounter this with whiting ? 

Overall, very pleasant conditions. Fishing off the sand is so relaxing and the entrance in general is a lovely spot.

Thanks for reading.

20201223_171848.jpg

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 12

Good bag of whiting.

I always use the red long shanks. The old fishos ran a 5cm piece of plastic on the line above the hook, and sometimes red beads, saying that attracted the whiting. Never tried it though. The red colour was the attractant.

• Like 1

I'd agree there is something with whiting and the coloured tackled. I reckon one of those bright coloured beads just above your hook results in more whiting as well.

If you want to avoid the weed and if they're on the chew I've had some great days with small yellow/clear/sand coloured poppers catching whiting. I've found 3 quick pops followed by a short pause does really well, popping in a straight line and tying directly to the popper (no loop knots) also increases the hook ups.

• Like 1

nice catch. can i ask. what kind of rig do you use for whiting. and what singer? i struggle to fish when the tide runs hard when the current move fast. the sinker rolls all over the place.  is it a sinker to the hook or a star sinker etc??

• Like 1

@papafish Simple rig Papafish...... 6 pound main line...smallest sinker you can get away with then swivel.....attach 1 Metre of 6 pound trace to a size 6 long shank. Red color hook.

If the current is runnin hard thats ok...the fish will find it eventually but the difficulty is tangles with other fishos and that bloody sea grass.

When the current started running hard we packed up and moved to a spot which had an obvious eddy (still water, or water moving slower)...we found more fish there.

Edited by GoingFishing

oh nice. thx for that info. im not good at whiting but i did catch them with very small sinker up forster with little and very slow moving water. but tried it in the beach and entrance. but water moved so hard. it was at 12 clock then 10 second it was 50m away to 3 o clock.. so i though u need to switch to heavier star sinker. and yet then. u can't feed the hits. and link tangle even more

• Like 1