Fishing the Pacific Pond Thursday 29.04.2021 (Browns Mountain)

zmk1962

Hey Raiders

With the Thursday forecast being for very calm conditions, it was too good an opportunity to pass up for a trip out to the shelf (Browns Mountain) for some deep dropping activity. So I reached out to a few Fishraiders and got a positive from Dieter @61 crusher and Bob @Pickles.  

image.png.375413b10dbe90666e2b3a8ed861af89.png

With crew set and conditions holding through the week,  the excitement was building especially after the success of  the previous trip to Browns with Sam @GoingFishing

Well Thursday finally came around. We hit Ermington ramp at 630am dead on time. Our trailer was the 3rd in the carpark and Mr Asia Atlas was just finishing his morning swim.  After an easy launch we raced out to the heads. There was still some debris in Paramatta river, but it was simple to spot and avoid in the morning light.

The trip out was one of the quickest I've had, pretty much sitting on  or above 55kmh, but I wasn't quite sure if we'd missed a turn for Browns coz the place we ended up at really looked like a pond - the "Pacific Pond". There were another 10 boats floating around so I concluded we were there.

image.thumb.png.b300378a8287875269fdc1dba0ee21da.png 

I said it was calm - didn't I.

We stopped about 1.5km out, set up the electrics, had a quick lesson on how to operate them, marked our drift and direction.... and then..... we were there ...  dropping on the mark that produced the big blue eye last trip. 

Caught bottom on both drops, 2 sinkers, 1 rig, 400m of braid, flashing light gizmo gone ... hahaha that's fishing.

Re-spooled fresh line onto the reel (I had remembered to bring some this trip), re-rigged, zoomed back to the mark and we were dropping baits back down. At 200m depth both rods shake,  lines go slack, another 2 sinkers gone. WTF. Sharks again !!! 

But we are Fishraiders and we persevere - someone once even said we were legends 🤣.  Anyway, re-rig, re sinker, re bait and down they go.  So by 1pm the tally was up to 8 sinkers for  1 hooked mako and one gaffed and released green eye 7 gill shark.  @Pickles being the star fisherman.

image.png.75753b84b321932dabef2f77c30b3e1b.png

https://www.sharksider.com/sharpnose-sevengill-shark/

Here's a short video of the "action" of the day ! 

Well with no cod or gems to be seen and no other boat showing any action we decided to cut our losses and raced to sandy grounds off Collaroy  for  a total of 4 keeper flathead.

At least we had a feed. Fishraiders rule 🤙

Despite the scarce fish, I had an absolutely fantastic day, I think we solved most of the world's problems and listened to some great blues - Bob and Dieter - you are great company and awesome human beings.  I look forward to the next sesh !

Cheers Zoran

PS -

For those wanting stats at Browns:  Current is running S - N at 1.4kmh. Water temp 20.4C.

We flew through 12mile at 64kmh and there was not a boat to be seen going out and coming back! 

• Like 9

Gee wizz, I've seen bigger waves on Burrinjuck Dam. What a fabulous report and video. Real shame that the fish didn't co-operate but that's fishing eh? The humble Flatties save the day! One of the best benefits of Fishraider is catching up with like minded souls to do what we all love to do. Good onya Zoran, Dieter and Bob. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Great report Zoran! Absolute perfect conditions for wake boarding 🤣🤣

Usually on the calmest days, the fish take the day off too. But sounds like a great trip anyway! 
Well done gents! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

You can surely see why it was your quickest trip out & back with those conditions!

Shame about the the lack of fish but looked like a great day to be out on the water.

What was that in the top left corner of the screen?

The Mako??

Hopefully the planets align for the next time 🙏

Great vid, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great report Z. Bad luck on the gemmies and cod but im sure you fellas had a great time. Good company is just as good as getting the fish onboard ! 

Perfect conditions for offshore fishing !

Thanks Sam. But I think you meant to say - Perfect conditions for offshore boating! Great company for sure never makes for a bad day on the water.  We never gave up. There was a school of small Tuna that showed up - hence why we dropped the bait and jig in .. but even they were on holidays enjoying the calm warm water. 

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

Gee wizz, I've seen bigger waves on Burrinjuck Dam. What a fabulous report and video. Real shame that the fish didn't co-operate but that's fishing eh? The humble Flatties save the day! One of the best benefits of Fishraider is catching up with like minded souls to do what we all love to do. Good onya Zoran, Dieter and Bob. Cheers, bn

Thanks BN.  Waves - I dare say they did not qualify for that.  Maybe ripples would be more apt 🤣.   Flatties rule as do Fishraider mates. I don't think we stopped chatting for a minute - always something interesting to discuss. 

11 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Usually on the calmest days, the fish take the day off too. But sounds like a great trip anyway! 
Well done gents! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Yeah - Pickles did mention we could waterski - and my comment was - I'm ok with that, but the guy on the skis has to hold a large hook as well - just in case we get a hit - wouldn't want to miss a strike 😁

11 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

You can surely see why it was your quickest trip out & back with those conditions!

Shame about the the lack of fish but looked like a great day to be out on the water.

What was that in the top left corner of the screen?

The Mako??

Hopefully the planets align for the next time 🙏

Great vid, thanks for sharing.

Hey Adrian ... Yes it was the mako. If you watch the video on a larger screen in high definition (HD) youtube setting you can see the mako break the water. It must have had the sinker lodged in its mouth because we only lost the sinker - the deep drop rig/hooks came back all ok. Let's hope next time work will align with conditions and we can get you out there and on to some deep edible ooglies. 🤙

10 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Some report well done great video 

Thanks mate. Wasn't sure what to write, as there were no real fish to report on - but thought it worthy just to document the trip and mateship ... and the uncanny conditions. Who'd otherwise believe the "Pacific Pond" story?

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

That's fishing Zoran. At least you could gun it over the flat water.

Thanks Yowie.  We certainly did that!  Total trip 10h24m. Distance on water 153km. Max speed 66.5km/h.  Fuel 110L. You can't help but smile when the motor is wound out and the boat just kisses the sea - ahhhhh... Offshore with buddies... Fishing ... Boating LOVE IT !   I think we were still grinning at the ramp !

8 hours ago, Rebel said:

Super report. Well done.

Thanks Rebel always good to get out.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Well done gents! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

very true

• Like 1

A brilliant Day with Raider legends Zoran and Deiter. “Barrycudda”, Zoran’s Haines is a weapon and one heaven of a boat, fast comfortable and immaculately well set up. The day was great, none of the target species, but a great day with great company. Raider camaraderie is a blessing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great title & super right up of our very enjoyable day on the water, loved the sped up bit in the vid just shows how busy we were even though the fish weren’t cooperating 

Even though I was dead tired from the previous long days at work to be able jump onboard good old Barrycudda I thoroughly enjoyed the day out with you & Bob, thanks again Zoran 👍👍

• Thanks 1