Saturday morning mid north coast

TK01

Hi all

Had a great start to the day today chasing snapper on soft plastics.  Really nice conditions this morning that only got calmer during my short 2.5 hour session.

I went to a spot that I have visited a couple of times before with no luck but today there was a bit more action on the sounder.  I was drifting over an area about 20m deep casting ahead of my drift and also had a second line out with a plastic just sitting in the rod holder.  5 minutes into my first drift I came up tight on my PB snapper of 75cm!  Stoked with that, even though the rod holder gets the credit for getting the bite🤣.1255481160_bigsnapper.thumb.JPG.e90113b7e9e1789477b3c37bda71ca31.JPG

On my second drift I got lucky again with a 58cm model, again credit goes to the rod holder.  While I had him on the deck getting my phone out for a pic the other rod went off and I fought the fish for a little while but the hook pulled.1016365364_smallsnapper.thumb.JPG.a493a7ceb6057632763703c1b581d567.JPG

I can't remember now if it was the same drift, or the next drift, but finally I managed to hook a fish with the rod in my hand and landed a 70cm snapper which also would have been a PB if I hadn't already caught the 75cm fish earlier.  I think my old PB was 65cm.

996138510_mediumsnapper.thumb.JPG.5d76b862a3cffd36461314c9550b6303.JPG

I had a couple more hookups that didn't stick and landed some red rock cod before deciding it was time to go home.  Off the water by 8.45.  Boat is clean, fish filleted and I'm now looking forward to a game of soccer this afternoon.  A win will top the day off nicely 🙂

The bigger fish came in on my little 2500 freams with a 3-7kg spin rod 1/4 oz jighead and a blue/white 5" bait junky.  The other 2 fish were on slightly heavier gear with a certate 3012 and 1/4 oz jighead, and a 6.5" powerbait nemesis in bloodworm.

A bit more effort into this report than usual as I know a lot of you guys are stuck in lockdown at the moment and could use the distraction.  I hope you enjoy this little report, I certainly enjoyed gathering the content!

Tim

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rummers said:

Good report mate. What do you do with the rod in the holder? Drop it straight down and let it float with the drift?  

Yeah pretty much, I just cast out to the side and stick the rod in the holder.  I imagine the lure was probably sitting about 2/3 of the way down to the bottom but I honestly don't pay much attention to it.  Rodney Rod Holder has  bagged me quite a few snapper this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Awesome fish mate thanks for sharing. BTW what’s that shiny clear blue stuff all around you?
I vaguely remember it. 
cheers Zoran 

Yeah I feel for you guys.  Most of my family are in lockdown too and it's no laughing matter for so many people.  Feeling very fortunate to still have my freedom up here and will enjoy it while we still have it!

• 2 weeks later...

They are some seriously nice Snapper. Never caught one on SP's, not caught any big ones on bait either. Must try and put an SP out next time I go after Snapper.
Can I ask what general area you were fishing? Not after the GPS coordinates unless it is off the Northern Beaches of Sydney and you want to share🙂

8 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

They are some seriously nice Snapper. Never caught one on SP's, not caught any big ones on bait either. Must try and put an SP out next time I go after Snapper.
Can I ask what general area you were fishing? Not after the GPS coordinates unless it is off the Northern Beaches of Sydney and you want to share🙂

Thanks Gordo

I’m fishing out from port Macquarie. Mostly been fishing in about 20m depths and drifting over reefs that are holding bait. There’s no doubt it’s a bit easier up here though 

• Like 1

The perfect report Tim! Thank you for taking the extra time to compile it. Description of location, conditions, method, tackle, results, and time frame all included in the report. Congratulations on your PB (for now) ... some quality fish brought aboard.

ps. hope you enjoyed your soccer game and won. Cheers,bn

• Like 2