Out at last...

big Neil

Went out for 2 hrs of "exercise" yesterday and today.

Tuesday: I went to the Sturt Canal and fished for 2 hrs in very windy conditions. Cod season is closed so time to target some Carp. I used double paternoster rigs on both rods, each loaded with corn kernels and bread dough baits. I sat there patiently for a few hours and never got any interest whatsoever. Good to get out of the house though.

Wednesday: Change of venue. The irrigation channels have regulators along their length. These provide flow when the authorities open them to move water from one section to another. Normally these times are good because the fish come up to the downstream side to feed. I fished for a couple of hours and used the time wisely to collate information on the fish habits at this time of year. I started off with the same rigs as the previous day but had no interest whatsoever. There was a nice steady flow along the bank which I was on so decided to run some corn kernels just above the bottom using a float. Once again, absolutely no interest. Last option was to use a running sinker down to a swivel and 12" of leader, down to the hook. Bread on one rod and corn kernels on the other. Things started to liven up instantly with several decent fish hooking up. HOWEVER I made the mistake of taking some cheap hooks with me and each hook up ended the same  The fish got off with the hooks in their mouths. I'm not sure what brand of hook they were as I had put them in my tackle box compartment. After I had lost 3 decent Carp I checked the hooks and noticed the very poor finish of the eye of the hook. I suspect the line was cut through by the hook under the pressure of the fish pulling. When I got home I took them all out of the tackle box. I will need to get some more decent hooks as I only have 5 good ones. I think the "bodgy hooks" were SURECATCH or something like that. Anyway lesson learned. I hate losing Carp when I target them cos I reckon each one I can get out of the system is equivalent to about 100,000 Carp over their lifetime.

I put a shrimp net in and was pleased to get a few decent sized shrimp which I released anyway. Good to know that the water is warming up and the shrimp and yabbies are getting active. Could mean a trip out to target some Yellowbelly in the near future.

Thanks for reading, a couple of pics of the local areas visited.

Fields of Canola along the channel bank, channel regulator, paternoster rig with bread and corn,

IMG_3817rs.thumb.jpg.8b4bc43a14dd84adf5df99e921ff514c.jpg

1604929078_IMG_3442(1)rs.thumb.jpg.5daae20ae01f1c240d34c4f40261bcb3.jpg581238490_IMG_3440(1)rs.thumb.jpg.28cf65c51cea64fcdfddb20cd21916f5.jpg1201848727_IMG_3443(1)rs.thumb.jpg.209796d8f36f2b308da3499a1e13a04f.jpg

• Like 13

What a top write up Neil. Brought back so many memories. I started fishing freshwater for carp as a toddler in Croatia- that’s what hooked me on fishing for life. My mother was the fisherwoman and passed the gene to me  

I’ve set myself up for carp fishing again - this time to use as salted bait offshore- but the fresh water near me is in an LGA of concern so I’ve got no access for now. 

You got out and had a go. Luv it!

cheers Zoran 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

What a top write up Neil. Brought back so many memories. I started fishing freshwater for carp as a toddler in Croatia- that’s what hooked me on fishing for life. My mother was the fisherwoman and passed the gene to me  

I’ve set myself up for carp fishing again - this time to use as salted bait offshore- but the fresh water near me is in an LGA of concern so I’ve got no access for now. 

You got out and had a go. Luv it!

cheers Zoran 

Hi Zoran, hope you're keeping safe. I have heard that Carp are an excellent bait for Snapper. Fishing is a fantastic pastime, that's for sure.

I have been to Croatia, actually when it was Yugoslavia. In 1963 I went there and visited Split and Zagreb. Very interesting at that time as it was a communist regime (Marshall Tito). The people were very friendly and it was my first encounter with sun, surf and sea at Split. Also went to Dubrovnik. Fantastic culture. Cheers, Neil

• Like 2

Neil. Good to see you out and about and wetting a line, fish are always a bonus and it's the leisure time taken up with something you love doing what counts. The photos are great as always and I enjoy reading what you say.

Won't be long and the Savage will be registered and ready to go. Can't register it till the restrictions are finished. 

Frank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Zoran, hope you're keeping safe. I have heard that Carp are an excellent bait for Snapper. Fishing is a fantastic pastime, that's for sure.

I have been to Croatia, actually when it was Yugoslavia. In 1963 I went there and visited Split and Zagreb. Very interesting at that time as it was a communist regime (Marshall Tito). The people were very friendly and it was my first encounter with sun, surf and sea at Split. Also went to Dubrovnik. Fantastic culture. Cheers, Neil

Yes you are correct Neil ... it was Yugoslavia at that time and I almost said that but Yugoslavia today does not include my birth city. We emigrated long before any of the sad subsequent troubles that ensued that beautiful part of the world eventuated. Anyway, back in happy 1963 you could have driven some 300km east of Zagreb and visited me ... I was a 1yr old future Aussie Fishraider  🎣  !

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3

UPDATE: So I went out early this morning to continue the mission. A beautiful morning...no wind and the sun creeping higher in the morning sky.

Thursday: Followed on from the experiences learned from the previous 2 days. I made up some fresh bread dough and scored another can of corn kernels from the pantry. Running sinker down to a swivel and about 30 cms of line to the hook. Lobbed in at the exact same spot as the previous day and settled down to wait for the action. I put a shrimp net in too and caught some really big male shrimps. 2 rods, one with bread dough and the other with corn. Nothing for an hour but I knew there would be fish about with the cormorants and this white bird being active. I re baited the bread several times as it dissolves in the water. Ended up with 4 bites and 4 Carp, 2 on bread and 2 on corn. I released all the shrimps again... they start breeding as soon as the water warms up. Here are a couple of pics...

29133094_IMG_3446(1)rs.thumb.jpg.fedcd5f5c6a8b127bc578b27c5d379f9.jpg1610809152_IMG_3445(1)rs.thumb.jpg.592cef7051373b7e356942f4635ec778.jpg

Thanks for reading, bn

• Like 4

As a teenager I tried cooking carp. Mum made me cook it over a fire outside with a wire grill. I was not impresssed and that was as far as it went. A German couple, Ella and Ernie, down the south coast lived near my grandparents who were keen for us to take some carp down at Christmas. So we obliged with a couple of larger models every year and they loved their carp. Not for me though. Maybe these days we are much better at looking after our catch & more creative with secret herbs and spices the humble carp "might" be more appealing!!?? Still think they are more suited to fertiliser.

And you are not allowed to release carp back into the water being a non native species - well done Neil for your fishing prowess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puddlejumper said:

Serious question, do you eat the carp or throw it away?

No I don't eat them but many Asian and European countries eat them regularly. We are somewhat fortunate to have plenty of species that actually taste bloody good. bn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Awesome BN. Good to see you out and about mate in a COVIDSafe way. Looks like a few exercising hours well spent. Definitely go and invest in some quality hooks. Nothing worse than losing fish because of poor gear! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

You're dead right Jeff. I was appalled to see the poor finish of the eye of the hook. Lesson learned. I go through a lot of hooks and sinkers fishing in the snag infected river. I'll be on the lookout for some bulk supply of quality hooks. I did find the Daiichi brand but they don't seem to make them in size 3/0 and 4/0, nor in bulk packs. I'll keep looking and have it sorted before the Cod season reopens on Dec 1st. Keep safe mate, bn

• Like 1

I haven't ever eaten a European carp but have eaten another variety when I was at uni in China and thought it was just fine. Here's a video - note how the species is different:

I'm curious to give European Carp a go with traditional Chinese techniques (though I might need to head over to my Grandmother's for help when lockdown ends). I do have a suspicion the European variety are different, because if they were good to eat, my Grandma would have been eating them! She eats a lot of fish considered as 'rubbish'. For instance, sweep and parrot fish turn up on the dinner table regularly.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:40 PM, zmk1962 said:

Zoran, I can't help but think that you should be able to find Carp in your LGA? The lakes of Norwest come to mind. Not all of them allow fishing though, would need to research and do a bit of exercise to suss out the situation. Even if not right now, at least it will give you a close source of bait for your offshore sessions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Zoran, I can't help but think that you should be able to find Carp in your LGA? The lakes of Norwest come to mind. Not all of them allow fishing though, would need to research and do a bit of exercise to suss out the situation. Even if not right now, at least it will give you a close source of bait for your offshore sessions.

Yes I've considered the Norwest lakes but having observed the fauna there I'm convinced I'll pull in more duck than scale. Every time I approach the bank the ducks head straight over, they are used to being fed. Paramatta river is where I plan to try.... eventually. 

Cheers and Thanks. Zoran

PS - we used to eat the carp in Europe... it's a staple in lots of spicy soups like the hearty Hungarian Paprikash.  In my case we'd catch them from the Drava River which is a fast flowing river. The fish out of such waterways were well conditioned and toned unlike the fatty (obese) fish caught in a muddy brackish pond or lake. The conditioning gives a very different texture and flavour profile.  Sorry for the digression BN ! 

7 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yes I've considered the Norwest lakes but having observed the fauna there I'm convinced I'll pull in more duck than scale. Every time I approach the bank the ducks head straight over, they are used to being fed. Paramatta river is where I plan to try.... eventually. 

Cheers and Thanks. Zoran

PS - we used to eat the carp in Europe... it's a staple in lots of spicy soups like the hearty Hungarian Paprikash.  In my case we'd catch them from the Drava River which is a fast flowing river. The fish out of such waterways were well conditioned and toned unlike the fatty (obese) fish caught in a muddy brackish pond or lake. The conditioning gives a very different texture and flavour profile.  Sorry for the digression BN ! 

Not at all Zoran. I really enjoy learning about other cultural values. It helps to understand how and why certain things happen. Many places which are inland can't access ocean fish so they make do with what they can access. They also learn how to improve the eating capabilities of things like Carp. Neil

Great report Neil, good to hear you’re getting out and having success on the BC (Bloody Carp). Have you tried using Gluten instead of bread - works a treat and I can guarantee it won’t wash/ melt off (health food stores sell it and costs about the same as flour)

Also “Hoods” is not correct, the DPI legislation states you are allowed to release carp back into the waterway in which they were caught (but not in another waterway). Not that you would want to release them as they are a feral introduced species, but so are rainbow and brown trout. The extract below is from DPI.

Is it illegal to return carp to the water?

It is not currently illegal to immediately return captured carp to the waters from which they were taken (defence under section 216 of the Fisheries Management Act). However, NSW DPI encourages recreational fishers to retain and utilise any captured carp rather than returning them live to the water.

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Neil, good to hear you’re getting out and having success on the BC (Bloody Carp). Have you tried using Gluten instead of bread - works a treat and I can guarantee it won’t wash/ melt off (health food stores sell it and costs about the same as flour)

Also “Hoods” is not correct, the DPI legislation states you are allowed to release carp back into the waterway in which they were caught (but not in another waterway). Not that you would want to release them as they are a feral introduced species, but so are rainbow and brown trout. The extract below is from DPI.

Is it illegal to return carp to the water?

It is not currently illegal to immediately return captured carp to the waters from which they were taken (defence under section 216 of the Fisheries Management Act). However, NSW DPI encourages recreational fishers to retain and utilise any captured carp rather than returning them live to the water.

I haven't tried Gluten Bob but will get some as my attack on Carp is just warming up. Will let you know how I go, thanks for the tip. bn