The nips are getting bigger

jenno64

Headed out at gentleman's hours on Friday for a fish on the rising tide over the flats. Collected some nippers and a few poddies first stop then headed up river but no joy except for an Uber Nipper pumped from a flat where I was trying to stir up some sand action. Measure 150mm from nipper to tail! No fish here but no wonder with a nipper that big....scared them off!

Headed into Gunnamatta to drift along the front of the flats and it was pretty quiet except for a cormorant stealing one of my poddies. Spooked a couple of big flathead out of the weed beds and finally picked up a bream and a whiting before I had to pick wifey up from the wharf. Was stopped by a police officer on a jetski who politely asked for my license number and took off ready for the long weekend cowboys:)

Headed onto the Maianbar flats and anchored up before  a school of bream came along and a couple of luderick took a liking to the nippers too. Had a 1 m wobbie hanging around the keeper bag looking for an easy meal:)  Ended up with a good feed of fillets so headed off as the storm clouds came over around 2pm. Wasn't planning to attempt a fish over the long weekend with the crowds of late.

Filleted, skinned and boned, the fillets went down very well.

Off now to put a leg of lamb on the BBQ for a feast before the GF. Happy days:)

nipperkong.jpeg

Fillets 1.jpg

skinned.jpg

• Like 13

12 hours ago, jenno64 said:

That was me...were you on the jetski or wading?

That was me fishing off the JetSki.

20 mins before you got there I cruised over the flats, normally would see some big whiting on that corner where you started, but nothing around, so decided to sit on the drop off instead.

I think I must of also come past you and your missus up near maianbar - went for a little explore up that side Chanel. Noticed quite a few ludrick scooting amongst the weed beds over there.

if I see you out there next time I’ll come say hello.