George's river mulloway

Restyle

g'day, before I start I did post this report in greater detail in my "quest for the mighty mulloway" thread, where I go through my plan and where I'm targeting, if me posting this report here as well isn't allowed, I apologize. 

Alrighty, a pretty action packed trip last night! Got out a bit later then I would've liked and paddling over to where I was fishing took a little bit longer then expected. Arrived at around 8.15pm and sounded out the bottom and decided to anchor on a river bend on the edge of a drop off which drops from 2.5 down to 6-7 meters not to far from Alfred's point bridge 

First rod - a whole pille/ mullet strips with a heaver sinker

second rod - whole fresh squid, set up with a small sinker and I would open the bail arm every 5 mins to let it drift with current
both rods had 14 pound leader/ 20lb braid to begin with

Had a third rod to try and catch some of mullet or tailor which came close to my burly bag, while putting bread on the hook my rod with squid over and take a few meters of moderately tight drag, i grab the rod and as soon as tension was applied the line cut - bullshark

Upgraded leader to 20lb and threw out another whole squid also replaced the pilchard with a fresh mullet strip

9.40pm rolls around and I put my second jacket on, as I sit back down my rod with squid buckle's and the drag is flying off, this run easily took 75meters of line and I'm thinking of when is it going to cut me off, then the famous run ends, and dead weight until under the kayak where I loosen the drag and I also finally feel those  big thumping headshakes and it makes a few small runs.

I tangle with my other line somehow but the fish is on the surface, a few attempts netting it. finally goes in, my god, its big.

Colossal tangles in the net and a large jew taking up the entire deck of the kayak, I sat there looking at it in awe, spent a stupid amount of time cutting lines, untangling the net  and struggling the even lift the slimy basted off the deck never alone release it without flipping the kayak, I knew it was too late, the fish would release poorly so I made the decision to put it out of its misery and eat my first ever jew.

I'm a catch and release guy, but if I do get a feed I like to keep the slightly above legal models and leave the big ones for someone else to catch, my only regret of the night is not trying to release it and not taking so long just looking at the fish, trying to measure it and also untangling the net.

The fish was 104cm, stoked to have cracked the meter. took it over to Georges river national park where I fillet the fish, some for me and some for the neighbour and gave the other half of the fish to a group of boys fishing for jews along the shoreline there. Forgot the fish had a tag, hopefully they see it and know what to do with it, as it was still in the fish.

Here's the picture and its final measurement 

20211006_220958.thumb.jpg.373928770298dfe4cd8c715cb025e850.jpg

104cm, caught 9:55pm on a whole fresh squid just after the change of the tide which was at  9:05pm, Georges river, near Alfred's point bridge. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

104cm Thats a solid jew mate! Great report and photo as well. 

Don't worry about taking it home. If you honestly thought it wouldn't of made it then you did the right thing.

Great job:thumbup:

Edited by BigHorse
  • Like 1

Just read this over my lunch break, congrats on cracking a metery and it sounds like you did your homework and had all bases covered. Make sure the tag gets back to fisheries as it will be important for research! Awesome job!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max_fish said:

Wow that’s epic, how long have you been targeting big Jewies?

Previously I would go out for jewies here and there at various spots and only ever pulled out 3 jews all at around 60-70cm. I never really focused to hard on them. My main focus for fishing the last year or so has been gummy sharks and kings and my more relaxed sessions are flathead, bream and other bread n butter species.
was until about a week ago I decided to target big jews, but more importantly target and also catch them more frequently.

I spent a few days mostly looking on google earth & Navionics screenshots I took of the river years ago looking for spots in the Georges where I think they would be while also having the thought of the outgoing tide in mind, so I'm fishing areas where the current isn't as strong compared to the rest of the river as I plan to fish the top of the tide and a good chunk of the outgoing as I believe more food is present during that period of the tide.

A good side note is the fishes belly was also empty.

I am stoked to have ticked off the fish I had on my mind for awhile and getting it on my first serious session. not to rub it in or anything 

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Just read this over my lunch break, congrats on cracking a metery and it sounds like you did your homework and had all bases covered. Make sure the tag gets back to fisheries as it will be important for research! Awesome job!

Thank you, unfortunately I left the tag in the fish when I gave the entire fish to the boys fishing on the shoreline after filleting the other half off.

I'm pretty bummed out about that as I really did want that tag (and also the jewels). I hope the boys there took care of it properly 

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Well done. Great report.

2 hours ago, BigHorse said:

104cm Thats a solid jew mate! Great report and photo as well. 

Don't worry about taking it home. If you honestly thought it wouldn't of made it then you did the right thing.

Great job:thumbup:

1 hour ago, yting said:

Awesome stuff well done mate and nice informative report too.

Nath

Thank you, keen for my next trip when the wind quietens down.

17 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Solid jew mate, well done on the first.

thank you, may see your on the hacking one day, soon.