WARNING - No Croc’s in the Hawkesbury - but dangerous critters ⛔️

Pickles

It has been a cracker year or Bass since the floods and I’ve had a few fisho’s keen to catch these hard fighting river / creek sports fish. Joel and Zac came out on Friday and he was relating how aware you have to be of Crocs in NT. and how there are serious “interactions” every year. Idid mention that the Hawkesbury / Nepean system has its own “baddies” and thought it worth warning ‘Raiders who might be giving new and unchartered waters a crack.

We all know about catfish and stingrays, and stone fish, which are rarely encountered  and the much more common red rock cod (red scorpion fish), which can inflict extremely serious and painful injuries (I know from personal experience and “not happy Jan” experience). However very common in the Hawkesbury and tributaries are the Bullrout (notesthes robusta) and Fortescue (centropogon australia). They are very similar and often confused with each other - not that this matters as either inflict an extremely painful “sting” from their venomous dorsal spines. We call them “Kroki” (Dhurug name), but whatever you call them (and I’ve heard a few irrepeatable names), they should never be handled with bare hands.

They will take a lure on the bottom when Bass fishing, but most commonly encountered when scooping prawns. It’s worth looking up on the internet.

E0FECC94-CDF8-4CCB-9CB8-7B0F9045012F.jpeg

580CCE89-BAB8-4052-BAB6-50AF39A878DE.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Addition
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

We used to get another type of fish in Sydney harbour when catching bait - we called them happy moments but I think their correct name is a black spine foot/Siganus fuscescens . I merely brushed against one of its dorsal spines and it stung me in the back of my hand and it hurt like hell for a few hours - I was extra careful from there on !

I was always taught if you don’t know for certain what fish it is then don’t handle it .

If you are fishing in a spot that things like catfish , rays or any sort thing that can sting ,spike or bite you are a likely catch a long handle set of pliers to grab the hook  is a good idea or get used to cutting the line near the hook to release them .

773BB5CD-8A61-4519-8F66-E6BF6C689E59.jpeg.d75ffaaa8332116b0769860855afb970.jpeg

Edited by XD351
To kill the evil that spellcheck is 🤬

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

We all know about catfish and stingrays, and stone fish, which are rarely encountered  and the much more common red rock cod (red scorpion fish), which can inflict extremely serious and painful injuries (I know from personal experience and “not happy Jan” experience). However very common in the Hawkesbury and tributaries are the Bullrout (notesthes robusta) and Fortescue (centropogon australia)

Have had a couple of close calls with fortescues while prawning & a bad experience with a red rock cod, it’s painful enough to stop you focusing or concentrating on the task at hand for a few hours, seen what a catfish can do, major swelling & pain. A mate got barbed by stingray in the ankle a few years back & made the 6 o’clock news because he ended up in hospital & required stitches, the paramedics suggested soaking the affected area in hot water for as long as you can bare till the pain & swelling subsides. I believe that’s the best trick for most fish venom

Another one to be wary of is the blue ringed octopus, quite common in & around Sydney foreshores. @PicklesI’m aware of the frog fish(3 dorsal spines are venomous) & similar looking to the dreaded stone fish but haven’t heard of any encounters down this way, have you heard of any in the Sydney region?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XD351 said:

We used to get another type of fish in Sydney harbour when catching bait - we called them happy moments but I think their correct name is a black spine foot/Siganus fuscescens . I merely brushed against one of its dorsal spines and it stung me in the back of my hand and it hurt like hell for a few hours - I was extra careful from there on !

I was always taught if you don’t know for certain what fish it is then don’t handle it .

If you are fishing in a spot that things like catfish , rays or any sort thing that can sting ,spike or bite you are a likely catch a long handle set of pliers to grab the hook  is a good idea or get used to cutting the line near the hook to release them .

773BB5CD-8A61-4519-8F66-E6BF6C689E59.jpeg.d75ffaaa8332116b0769860855afb970.jpeg

Yep, I know the “Happy memories” / black Trevally well, get lots when fishing for Dollies off the FADS, - fortunately I’ve never been spiked by one, but it’ll take your word for it that They are not fun.

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Have had a couple of close calls with fortescues while prawning & a bad experience with a red rock cod, it’s painful enough to stop you focusing or concentrating on the task at hand for a few hours, seen what a catfish can do, major swelling & pain. A mate got barbed by stingray in the ankle a few years back & made the 6 o’clock news because he ended up in hospital & required stitches, the paramedics suggested soaking the affected area in hot water for as long as you can bare till the pain & swelling subsides. I believe that’s the best trick for most fish venom

Another one to be wary of is the blue ringed octopus, quite common in & around Sydney foreshores. @PicklesI’m aware of the frog fish(3 dorsal spines are venomous) & similar looking to the dreaded stone fish but haven’t heard of any encounters down this way, have you heard of any in the Sydney region?

Hey Deiter, don’t know the “frog fish” and not sure how south Stone fish are found, but I’ve been spiked by the Red rock cod and truly thought that I was going to end up in emergency with the pain, I had a fever and was stripped down to my jocks on a July - cold winters day off the artificial reef off Sydney. Fortunately ad a thermos of coffee and put my finger in the hot water (breaks down the poison which is a protein) and had 3 Panadol from the first aid kit - always on the boat.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I’ve been spiked by the Red rock cod and truly thought that I was going to end up in emergency with the pain, 

Are you talking about the dorsal spikes Bob?

I have handled many red rock cod, under the body and also grabbed the head, sometimes snapping the neck to kill them. Have not been spiked to date.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Are you talking about the dorsal spikes Bob?

I have handled many red rock cod, under the body and also grabbed the head, sometimes snapping the neck to kill them. Have not been spiked to date.

Yep dorsal spines, the one that got me was alive. I have handled and cleaned them (dead obviously) and not had a problem, but the one that got me, I’ll never forget.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 2:56 PM, Pickles said:

Hey Deiter, don’t know the “frog fish” and not sure how south Stone fish are found, but I’ve been spiked by the Red rock cod and truly thought that I was going to end up in emergency with the pain, I had a fever and was stripped down to my jocks on a July - cold winters day off the artificial reef off Sydney.

I think it’s called the eastern frog fish with a big ugly head & a short small body, brown to olive in colour. Bob I must’ve  been lucky as I only got one dorsal %%%%% to my knuckle & didn’t have to strip down to my jocks 🤣 I do agree though the pain was pretty severe, worse than a very bad tooth ache 

Edited by 61 crusher

On 11/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, James Clain said:

I heard a silly story that for one summer a long time ago there was actually a croc in the Hawkesbury. Escaped from the park where the famous panther is supposed to have come from. :) 

He only last a season before the yowie finally got him

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 12:33 PM, 61 crusher said:

the paramedics suggested soaking the affected area in hot water for as long as you can bare till the pain & swelling subsides. I believe that’s the best trick for most fish venom

And suggested to also soak an unaffected part of the body in the hot water as well otherwise you can end up burning yourself due to the pain of the sting masking pain from any burns. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, Blackfish said:

I didn't think Stonefish came this far south but I could be wrong. 

Oh and don't forget the Sharks either.

Agreed, I was a bit perplexed at that. Distribution of the 'proper' Stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)is roughly south to the NSW/Qld border. 

Common names can be so deceiving. Many folks probably refer to Red Rock Cods as stonefish, well, they kind of look like part of the reef in their own pretty way. About 25 years ago I accidentally placed my bare hand on a Red Rock Cod while photographing something underwater at Shark Point, Clovelly. The pain was incredibly strong and I was nauseated for quite some time after the sting. 

Black Trevally = Happy Moments = Black Spinefoot = SUPER painful sting. 

Antoher bit of info is, that Frogfish is Batrachomoeus dubius, are not an anglerfish (Family Antennariidae), which is what Americans call frogfish. Here is a link to our Aussie frogfish.... very common in estuaries like the harbour, Hawkesbury etc....

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2835 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Amatteroflight said:

Antoher bit of info is, that Frogfish is Batrachomoeus dubius, are not an anglerfish (Family Antennariidae), which is what Americans call frogfish. Here is a link to our Aussie frogfish.... very common in estuaries like the harbour, Hawkesbury etc....

I’ve caught a couple & seen others catch them which they usually mistake  (colour & appearance) for a stone fis

13 hours ago, Amatteroflight said:

Caught one once off the rocks which was in the high 30cm range & had blotchy tan & white markings, managed to remove the hook & as the next wave washed it back further on the ledge a pelican nabbed it & amazingly after a lot of tentative juggling managed to get it down the hatch

On 11/10/2021 at 8:36 AM, Amatteroflight said:

Agreed, I was a bit perplexed at that. Distribution of the 'proper' Stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)is roughly south to the NSW/Qld border. 

Common names can be so deceiving. Many folks probably refer to Red Rock Cods as stonefish, well, they kind of look like part of the reef in their own pretty way. About 25 years ago I accidentally placed my bare hand on a Red Rock Cod while photographing something underwater at Shark Point, Clovelly. The pain was incredibly strong and I was nauseated for quite some time after the sting. 

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2835 

Very helpful info - thanks for adding.

• Like 1