No kings but brimming with bream

Pickles

Holidays at Patonga - DAY 1  pumped up nippers on low tide ready for tomorrow (Monday) morning, then out early launching at 4.30am, no other boats around. On the spot behind Lion Is for sunup and had a 2 hour window before having to get back to campground (funeral in Sydney at midday) then breakfast and heading off. Tomorrow I should be able to get out for a few hours, then out to 40m mark for some serious fishing - flathead, then maybe Pittwater to chase some kingfish.

Unfortunately only bream (low on my list of quality fish and no Jewies or flathead.

Before I get a serve about “too many nippers”, there was my mate and his three kids pumping and they took 20 each to fish the sand flats and we took those left to fish for the bream.

we’re out again tomorrow - hitting Flatties.

Biggest 42cm😊

B33D42EE-27CD-4E13-8EBA-207DD97D79C0.jpeg

7D157006-1950-49C4-ACBB-226B5725110A.jpeg

18AA57A9-FA13-4FFA-A551-F3020520B845.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Pics added
  • Like 13

44 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Holidays at Patonga - DAY 1  pumped up nippers on low tide ready for tomorrow (Monday) morning, then out early launching at 4.30am, no other boats around. On the spot behind Lion Is for sunup and had a 2 hour window before having to get back to campground (funeral in Sydney at midday) then breakfast and heading off. Tomorrow I should be able to get out for a few hours, then out to 40m mark for some serious fishing - flathead, then maybe Pittwater to chase some kingfish.

Unfortunately only bream (low on my list of quality fish and no Jewies or flathead.

Biggest 42cm😊

B33D42EE-27CD-4E13-8EBA-207DD97D79C0.jpeg

7D157006-1950-49C4-ACBB-226B5725110A.jpeg

Nice one champ! Always love your post!! Where was this? Looks like a good spot👌👌

Great catch for the start of the holidays. Hopefully more good days ahead!

55 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Any recipes that make bream edible are much appreciated

Seriously Pickles, whole bream, a couple of slits across the shoulders, rub down with olive oil, and a liberal dose of salt. Grilled whole over charcoals for 10mins each side, then eat straight away. So moist, succulent & tasty. 

InShot_20211220_143636829.jpg

Edited by seasponge
add photo
  • Like 1

Great catch of Bream including the "Red Bream" 😀

Back in the day we cooked them similar but used a Vertical Grill, remember them.

We would leave the scales on and when they were done just peel them on the skin off. Squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper.

Very nice fresh.

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report Bob. Some very healthy looking Bream there. What rig did you use for the nippers? Good luck for the next trip, bn

I use 8lb braid to 6lb leader (FG Knott) straight to 2/0 Mustad Demon hook (circle hook) with the smallest pea sinker I can. I hook the Nipper through the head sideways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, beachwormer said:

Gee Pickles you're a hard marker on the bream - egg and bread crumb fillets fried will do me just fine!

Much prefer kingfish to just about anything that is in the sea and flathead a close 2nd

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bryant fish said:

Waiting to hear your  report pickles hoping  to get out 40mtr Mark Thu or Fri good luck

Plenty out there - took a few drifts to find them  & because we’re camping we are only catching what we can eat in one day - unpowered Site so no freezer.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:46 PM, Pickles said:

Camping at Patonga - bream spot is just behind Lion Island

You didn't happen to retrieve your boat at Patonga boat ramp on Monday morning by any chance? I have a feeling you may have been the one next to the ramp when I was launching (black bow rider boat) - you or your mate have a white 4WD? 

When you say behind Lion island, do you mean behind when driving to the island from Patonga (ocean side) or behind (closer to Patonga beach) 

P.s awesome catch! Bream is my family's favourite fish so your tips about spots around Patonga area were greatly appreciated, Thanks :)

Sounds like you’re having a great time at Patonga with some real quality in your bags of fish Bob 👍

Had lunch there on Thursday, was that you guys in the quintrex runabout with the canopy. I was in the white barcrusher with a group onboard dodging the rain