“Funny” stuff at boat ramps over holidays

Pickles

I usually avoid weekends and holidays if I can, but been out a few times of late and thought we could share some “amusing” stuff seen when launching / retrieving.

1. at Patonga creek ramp last week I helped a fellow who was trying to push his tinny off the trailer with tie downs still on. When he got it off he had to swim after it as he forgot his “hold rope”. He was a bit embarrassed when he got it back on the sand to realise he’d left his boat keys back in his tent.

2. A few days ago (long weekend)  I was waiting in line to come in at the wharf at Roseville because a SUV was jack knifing left & right attempting to line up the trailer. The boat was hovering just off the ramp and so it appeared an experienced team who were going to get the boat on and away quickly - not so. This was taking up all the lanes and had been happening for about 10mins and so everyone was getting frustrated (except me) but especially the boat driver who was shouting on the mobile to the driver. I was just about to dock my boat and push it off on “spot lock” and back the trailer down for the obviously inexperienced driver. I didn’t get the chance as the drivers door opened and a very upset young woman got out (with the car now blocking 2 of the 3 lanes) threw the keys away and stormed off (leaving the car door open).

I can only reflect that “An angry man has fool for a friend”. I don’t know if they are still together, but I’d be certain she’s never going fishing with him again.

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Haha 7

Joys of summer Bob , i rarely intervene these days as even offers of help end up in a gobfull a lot of the time. I generally find early morning is fine as its usually folks who know what they are doing-but arvo's at this time of the year can be a challenge!

Story 1.  loved it ... they do say it comes in threes and he got all of them ... I was expecting the usual missing bungs but the missing keys was a nice twist.

Story 2. I think it's safest NOT to make any points  - except maybe about the "boat driver who was shouting on the mobile to the driver" ... what a fool (maybe better spelt that with a T) to put an inexperienced person in that position ... 

My story ... around 3pm Little Johnny and I had just pulled my rig out of the water at Ermo just before Christmas, two guys raced up and parked next to us. It looked as if the rig hadn't seen water for a while ... One guy started undoing the straps and made small talk with us about the conditions outside, then the other cranked their motor, it barked to life and he gave it a few spurts of the throttle for good measure.  High and dry at least 20m from the water. I flinched and  I made a polite comment that perhaps its better to have the leg and impeller in the water - well that went down like a lead balloon. Think he was about to bark at me ... then looked up at me, at barrycuda ... then muttered something to himself .... at least I didn't get a gobfull. 

Cheers Zoran 

• Haha 1

Can be quite entertaining at the ramps up here this time of year especially when we get a strong westerly. Not that I find it that funny but some people need to learn the basics when launching and retrieving their boats. But most generally learn the hard way! 

A very simple tip to all……….

Use your side mirrors only. 
When reversing….. If you can see your tyre in the right mirror turn the steering wheel to the right and visa versa. If you can’t see any wheels then your going straight. Pretty simple really.

cheers scratchie!!!  

• Like 3

I'm only imagining the entertainment/delays some of the twats are providing out there.

Not intrested at all to go and see it live thanks.

If I wanted to be a waiter I'd work in a restaurant.😂

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Joys of summer Bob , i rarely intervene these days as even offers of help end up in a gobfull a lot of the time. I generally find early morning is fine as its usually folks who know what they are doing-but arvo's at this time of the year can be a challenge!

Gotta agree about early start - I usually try to be on the water by 5 if launching at Roseville.

Ramp activities are comical. We experienced a VERY busy ramp at Berkeley down at Illawarra on Monday. 
There were people holding back launching - they were nervous I think due to their inexperience. 
Caravan parks are also full of people who have zero clue how to back a van into a site. They end up in all sorts of trouble. Swordie has helped many by parking their vans for them. 
As @Pickles says people are very thankful. 

• Like 1

I even had a newbie experience this week at Shoalbay.

Reversed the boat down the ramp and into the water, which had a slight swell running up the ramp, went to unhook it and noticed the bilge pump was on and lots of water pumping out. I watched for a few seconds with the boat still on the winch and then realized I still had the bung in my pocket.

so I pulled up the ramp waited a minute and put the bung in much to the delight of my wife who gave me some smart comments about being a green horn.

she then turned to the guy on the other side of the ramp who was also launching and said, hey your bilge is flowing as well, like ours, did you put your bung in, his wife quickly put their boat back on the trailer and he also had forgot to put the bung in.

Both wives had a laugh and both of us sheepishly parked our trailers and had a great day.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, 2218 said:

Hahaa f%#k’ng haa,,,this is me earlier in the week.
Caught out in a tide change.... Sooo sunburnt!6DAC3DDD-B538-4F33-B37E-1B270868D0AF.thumb.jpeg.328fc67db279be3de62f8a001f8817a2.jpeg

Bummer - easily done (once) if limited knowledge of the local area, especially with king tides we are experiencing at present. Where is this area?.

7 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Reversed the boat down the ramp and into the water, which had a slight swell running up the ramp, went to unhook it and noticed the bilge pump was on and lots of water pumping out. I watched for a few seconds with the boat still on the winch and then realized I still had the bung in my pocket.

so I pulled up the ramp waited a minute and put the bung in much to the delight of my wife who gave me some smart comments about being a green horn.

she then turned to the guy on the other side of the ramp who was also launching and said, hey your bilge is flowing as well, like ours, did you put your bung in, his wife quickly put their boat back on the trailer and he also had forgot to put the bung in.

Both wives had a laugh and both of us sheepishly parked our trailers and had a great day.

We’ve all done it Jeff (some of us more than once).

I guess I’m like all of us & have a systematic procedure of steps (over 1000 hours now on my current boat now in its 6 th year). We were all ignorant until experienced others (or our own poor judgements) informed us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Could have been worse................could have left them at home 😆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:
10 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

We’ve all done it Jeff (some of us more than once).

I guess I’m like all of us & have a systematic procedure of steps (over 1000 hours now on my current boat now in its 6 th year). We were all ignorant until experienced others (or our own poor judgements) informed us.

Yep

its what happens when you have 5 kids and get side tracked. Normally I even do a check at the ramp but missed it there to.

Dave me too (3 on ski hooks on transom, 2 in boat glove box and 1 in car glovebox - but not needed as I never tow my boat). I’ve “gifted”  many to others who have lost or forgotten theirs (never accepted any money, but been offered $20 once)

If someone is trying to do something, and having issues, yelling at them and carrying on will not help at all. It will just make things worse. Steady, positive encouragement generally will work. And if not just park the boat, stand next to them and give directions while they reverse down the ramp.

Too many people forget how they went when first trying to do something. We all get it wrong at first. Some people do make me wonder.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jiggy said:

If someone is trying to do something, and having issues, yelling at them and carrying on will not help at all. It will just make things worse. Steady, positive encouragement generally will work. And if not just park the boat, stand next to them and give directions while they reverse down the ramp.

Too many people forget how they went when first trying to do something. We all get it wrong at first. Some people do make me wonder.

Cheers

Rob

Totally agree, I also don't think jumping into someone else's car doing it for them is the right thing either, you could get yourself into a situation if something goes wrong that will bite you.

All being good, thanks for your help buddy 

All going bad, your paying for it!

That's the world we live in now!!

Edited by kingie chaser

Years ago I went to the boat ramp on the minnamurra river just under the bridge there on my way back from Nowra to check it out.

I was with the mrs and mil.We launched within minutes and were off exploring and fishing(first time there) for a few hours only to find on the way back it was getting very shallow and my prop was bottoming out on the sand.

I got to the point where I was  still fairly far from the ramp( I could not see it) and couldn't continue on so had to tilt the motor up,get out and pull my boat along with a rope fully laden with the mrs,mil and my boy sitting in it as land bases fishos had to all wind there lines in while this imbecille(me) pulls his family and boat past them through the shallows.

Mrs eventually gets out and helps push boat and decides to walk ahead.I see she'd stopped at the final bend before we could see the ramp and her look on her face said it all.

I finally catch up to her and as I peer around the corner with my boat,mil and son still being dragged by me I could see the ramp.

Problem was the end of the ramp  to the waters edge was a good 30 meters away with wet sand in between the two.The tide had gone out further than I thought.

So I had a brainstorm and decided I'd back the wagon/trailer down hoping I wouldn't sink in the sand,skull drag the boat on the trailer then drive off.No worries.

By now I managed to drag the boat on the trailer with one final instruction to the mil and mrs.

I told them to push on the rear door of my wagon to help as I take off in case I get wheel spin and get bogged when I said now!

I yelled out to them now! And took off up the ramp to look back in the rear vision mirror to see them both lying prone in the sand  then look up with both their faces covered in sand.🤣

They looked like mrs Doubt fire in that scene with the pie in the fridge. 🤣 except it was obviously sand.

Anyway,I never did forget to check the tides since that day ever again.Those fisherman fishing on the bank have probably retold the story of that imbecille trudging along pulling his family and his boat along too.

Cheers.

• Haha 2