Starting them young

Pickles

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Showing young folk how to enjoy fishing and the outdoors"

Pickles was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 20 points.

Had my 8 yr old Grand daughter for a sleep over on Sunday/ Monday and she wanted to “play Barbies” with grandma and catch some “cute little fish” with grandad. The prediction was for rain and wind and wanting to encourage her interest, I didn’t think it wise to get her up at normal fishing time (3.30 am to leave by 4). My darling wife  suggested we leave at 9.00 after playing “Barbies” with her new “Barbie camper” As it’s our 45th wedding anniversary tomorrow, I wasn’t  going to “push it” and so we left to arrive at Berowra ramp for the high tide at 9.40.

We stayed till 11.20 and caught a load of tailor and about 15 herring, which went in the live bait tank. It’s good to see the herring back, but also a lot of mono’s in the burley and swallowing our baits, which were all released of course.

Charlie spent more time “patting” the herring in the live bait tank than fishing - but the aim of the exercise was to let her have a fun day on the boat and the goal was achieved. She named each fish as they came in. The pic is with “Trevor” the mono6287898E-492E-4E5D-9AED-65E6EBFE77A8.thumb.jpeg.8dbdae437ec99f350c907667b93a2d18.jpeg

B5BF68A6-E194-4094-B929-21302D11120C.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 17

Congratulations to you both on 45 years of wedded bliss. You are a lovely couple who have a great life together. Great to see investment in the future Pickles fishing clan. If she turns out half as capable as you she will be a good un. Cheers, bn

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

Congratulations to you both on 45 years of wedded bliss. You are a lovely couple who have a great life together. Great to see investment in the future Pickles fishing clan. If she turns out half as capable as you she will be a good un. Cheers, bn

Too kind Neil - HOPEFULLY in a few weeks, this inconsistent weather will settle down and we can get out for a week of fishing - not pennants season is it?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Happy Anniversary Bob, quite a milestone!

Great to see you creating another amazing fisho, those barbies have no future!

Many thanks mate - I’ve got to say, she did want to bring the “Barbie Dream Camper” on the boat, but I wasn’t sure it would get damaged so left at one with Ken and Scooter.

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work Bob, teaching the youngsters the world of fish.

My father, grandfather and great grandfather taught me at different times, and look what happened to me.  🤣

Yep - I’m keen Dave, but you’re a tragic / legend (good clean, healthy sport though that is not overly affected by age or health.)

• Like 1

What a top report mate ... the little ones remember these "advenchas" for ever. 

And may I congratulate you and Julie on a fantastic achievement ... well done.

Cheers Zoran

PS - Hmmm is Julie another great catch for the perfect pescator?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Too kind Neil - HOPEFULLY in a few weeks, this inconsistent weather will settle down and we can get out for a week of fishing - not pennants season is it?

No Pennants on this year Bob (in our region). Certainly keep me posted in developments at your end regarding fishing for Kingies or even the Hawkesbury. I really enjoy your company and have stacks to learn. 'Bidgee still flooded and we have had some serious fish kills due to black water, occur in one of the local creeks. Been heading to Deniliquin to fish the Edward river which is fishing really well at present. Cheers, hi to Julie, Neil

Great stuff. I've got the same experience with my kids. It's about catching as many little fish as possible in short amount of time. Not about getting up at 3am and working for the rest of the day to (maybe) catch one big thing. My son looked super happy from catching his first little slimy mackerel the other day..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FrigateMack said:

Great stuff. I've got the same experience with my kids. It's about catching as many little fish as possible in short amount of time. Not about getting up at 3am and working for the rest of the day to (maybe) catch one big thing. My son looked super happy from catching his first little slimy mackerel the other day..

So true, “size doesn’t matter”

5 hours ago, dunc333 said:

congratulations on the 45th anniversary mr and mrs Pickles well done. Always great to see the kids smile on there faces when catching a fish cheers dunc333

Thanks Dunc - being married for 45 years is a bit like playing a good fish, the first hookup fills with joy and excitement, then there is the hard slog of giving line / taking line, letting the fish have its head and it finding structure to bust you off, but steering it in the right direction, then when you think you’ve got it all together and at the side of the boat and the net is insight the “fun” really begins 

10 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

What a positive role model you are.

Cheers Bessell, - we should catch-up for a fish given you’re “just around the corner”

Edited by Pickles
Addition

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Thanks Dunc - being married for 45 years is a bit like playing a good fish, the first hookup fills with joy and excitement, then there is the hard slog of giving line / taking line, letting the fish have its head and it finding structure to bust you off, but steering it in the right direction, then when you think you’ve got it all together and at the side of the boat and the net is insight the “fun” really begins 

I just love that analogy @Pickles, but you didn't mention the 'catching' bit! Using the right lure (a better version of yourself), the right colour (clothes, hairstyle, etc), the right tides (life timing), finding the right spot and then working said lure amongst the snags until you succeed! And then the battle begins!

It's funny when I was younger I didn't understand why people celebrated wedding anniversaries. In my (younger and immature) mind, if you found the right person, how hard can it be? Well, having been happily married over the past eight years, I have since learned my lesson!

Well done on 45 years. It certainly is a wonderful achievement. You should be very proud.

7 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

What a top report mate ... the little ones remember these "advenchas" for ever. 

And may I congratulate you and Julie on a fantastic achievement ... well done.

Cheers Zoran

PS - Hmmm is Julie another great catch for the perfect pescator?

Thanks Zoran, once the teenage years happen, interests and hanging out with “significant others”, usually doesn’t include grandparents, or parents either, so “make hay while the sun shines”.

Julie is the best thing that happened to me - our “success” has been more about her sacrifices than my wise decisions. Looking forward to sharing with you and Maria.

• Like 1