Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out to Bate Bay with my mate yesterday arvo. Wind and swell a bit bigger than forecast.

A bit bouncy on the drift, however, found a few flatties. The first 2 at 44cm, then the rest were not too big, but big enough for a feed.

Just before sunset, we anchored on a patch of reef for the reddies, in low 30's, tailor, a bite-off from a bigger tailor, an average squid and a little kingie. Plenty of yakkas and slimies for bait, but rather quiet otherwise. The usual chorus of penguins sqwarking away after sunset, but no other birdlife and only a couple of boats out.

fish.jpeg.343_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Great catch's, have a few questions unrelated but mayaswell ask them if that's fine.

What are the legal size on pinkies? Catch a bunch of em and don't want to eat them but but just curious at what size can you take them.

And recently I attempted to learn to fillet a fish, it was a decent flatty from my mate and I watched a few videos on how to fillet them and they all seemed to be about the same (cut under the wing thing and go straight down to the ribcage, run knife along the spine then peel skin off) but got confused on the last part as there's still bones at the top of the fillet and have no idea how to take them out.Was a large fillet so just cut off the top until the bones ended, didn't lose much of the fillet but want to avoid losing some good flatty fillet.So just wondering how I go about taking bones from the top of the fillet.

Apologies if the question makes no sense at all.

Regards, Macca 

Hey Macca, the legal size for snapper is 30cm

31 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Great catch's, have a few questions unrelated but mayaswell ask them if that's fine.

What are the legal size on pinkies? Catch a bunch of em and don't want to eat them but but just curious at what size can you take them.

And recently I attempted to learn to fillet a fish, it was a decent flatty from my mate and I watched a few videos on how to fillet them and they all seemed to be about the same (cut under the wing thing and go straight down to the ribcage, run knife along the spine then peel skin off) but got confused on the last part as there's still bones at the top of the fillet and have no idea how to take them out.Was a large fillet so just cut off the top until the bones ended, didn't lose much of the fillet but want to avoid losing some good flatty fillet.So just wondering how I go about taking bones from the top of the fillet.

Apologies if the question makes no sense at all.

Regards, Macca 

The legal size for snapper (pinkies) in NSW is 30cm.

Sounds like you had a very sharp knife and the bones you are talking about are part of the spine or backbone, being left along the centre of the fillet. That sometimes happens with flattie fillets. I use a knife that is fairly sharp and has a long but thin blade.

If that is what you are referring to, then it is a matter of carefully removing the small piece of bone with the point of the knife. A knife with a tapered point, rather than a straight non-curved point, makes these easier to do.

try again on another fish or 2.

7 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Gotta love a feed of laughing flatties:)

Maybe no lamb on the BBQ for Oz day but fillets aplenty:))

Thanks Rob. Fish tonight, lamb on the BBQ tomorrow, washed down with a bottle of chilled sparkling shiraz.

48 minutes ago, Larkin said:

thought it was about time you did the flatty run!

nice catch, a little change from all the whiting of late.

Reddie fillets last night, flattie fillets tomorrow night.

11 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Can always tell when you fish with someone else because it’s not the usual bragmat 😂

Nice choir of flatty there Dave 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff. It's nice to fish in my mate's boat now and then, a bigger boat and I can stand up and fish, rather than sitting down in my tinny when outside.