Port Stephens- Damn!!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Headed out early this morning with @back cruncher to go and chase some reds and see whatever else was out there. 
We were surprised to find the water temp was around the 24deg mark but it was still pretty green and dirty. The wind was a bit up on forecast and with a strong current running downhill, it made it a difficult decision where to start. 
We pulled up to the first spot and after two casts we both looked at each other and said let’s move! 
Found another area to work and got our drift set. A few casts and not much doing and then suddenly I loaded up and a screaming reel and then I lost wait! The snapper had swallowed my plastic and crushed the leader. Damn! A couple more drifts and finally a pannie into the bag.  Then the live rod goes off and I’ve got wait of a good king. As Mick clears the lines the fish runs under the boat and into structure then gone! Damn! 
Time to move on, and another two areas are devoid of bait and fish! 
Our next spot had a good drift and finally Mick comes up tight to a fish and into the bag. We kept casting our plastics but it just didn’t seem to be working, so I chucked some yakka fillet on a jighead and fished it the same way and finally, it loads up and with some line peeling, I finally stop a decent red (75cm) 

We both now switch over to bait and cast out fresh and old fillets and started getting a couple! We adjust our drift once more and I cast out and get absolutely smoked by a brut and almost lost my spool. Damn! 
Reset the drift, cast again and bag I’m on! This time I managed to stop its run and there was enormous weight. It takes another run and I stop that too. Now I need to get some line back, so we chase it down and as I’m about to get on top of it, Pop! (The next few sentences I made will not be repeated on this site 😂) DAMN!!!! 
Called it a day not long after that. It was good to see @Peter Nelsonout there and share some info! 
Me and Mick had a cold beer on the travel home just thinking about what might have been! Oh well, you can’t win them all but yes I will be having nightmares for a while. 

Thanks for reading, 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

231DC94F-4F65-4F4F-AD54-8D6154F289EC.thumb.jpeg.725b0d85bebe049cf35551339531d04c.jpeg

A2E38764-A545-47D9-B82E-C69188954F21.thumb.jpeg.21a3ea259e0ebd0eab2717e56d842a9a.jpeg

• Like 21

Can't really be totally disappointed about that catch conciderating the water conditions. Hopefully the water comes good for the tournament in a couple of weeks, can't wait. Fished Port Kembla yesterday for 2 small snapper and a heap of bi catch water hot but dirty plenty of debris.

1 hour ago, Smobaby said:

Can't really be totally disappointed about that catch conciderating the water conditions. Hopefully the water comes good for the tournament in a couple of weeks, can't wait. Fished Port Kembla yesterday for 2 small snapper and a heap of bi catch water hot but dirty plenty of debris.

Mate, I was really surprised how the fish turned on! But we had to move a fair bit to find them. Not much debris at all 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Your bar is pretty high Scratchie! You still managed some very nice fish and I'm sure you will tame the next brute to taste you plastic or bait:)

Cheers Rob. Yeah I can never get use to losing that many fish 🥲

48 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Agreed! I'm just waiting until you have a 'good' day @Scratchie. Suspect it will end with Whiskers in the ice box!

Hahaha! The day I catch whiskers there will be a quick photo, a stern talking too and I’ll send him on his way! 

28 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Good to see you and Mick out there.

The current made it difficult to read the drift, I was surprised how there was bugger all debri floating around.

I could hear you cursing from over where we were fishing, I knew you must have lost a good one.

Good to see you too! 
Im just glad Mick is half deaf lol 😝 

To lose one or two big fish I can handle, but today I lost 5 and there was nothing I could do about it. No gear or angling failure, they were just too big! 🥲

• Like 1
  • Sad 1