Sydney Dollies

hookerbruce

20220323_192256.thumb.jpg.315e6fb3da031a93186186a33fe22e9c.jpgThe weather Tuesday morning looked okay for an offshore trip. Launched the boat at 630 am and arrived at the FAD a bit after 8 am with 12 livies on board. First two casts produced 2 throwbacks next fish a legal so in the ice it went , then another throwback. 
After that each bait produced legal fish, final tally 3 in low 60’s, 3 mid 60’s and 3 in low 70’s. Stopped fishing bit after 10 am and headed back to shore. There were 3 boats at the FAD I only saw 1 other fish caught, they had larger live baits and fishing heavier tackle. I started off fishing 6 Kg then went down to 4 Kg and finally a 3 Kg outfit, fished 20 lb trace, all unweighted with reel in freespool so they could make a good run. Baits were candy size 12-15 cms. 12 baits landed 12 fish kept 9.

This was only my second solo offshore in 6 months and I was very pleased with the result. My sons and families have fresh fish and I ended up with 4 fish.

Thanks       Bruce 

Edited by hookerbruce
Add photo
  • Like 18

14 hours ago, Welster said:

Well done Bruce.   The little livies and fishing light produced the goods 

I pick out the larger baits and use them first then as the bait size goes down use lighter outfits. There were not many fish at the FAD, I think maybe  because there was no current at all, just a wind powered drift. Got most fish about 70 m from the FAD  slow trolling. 

14 hours ago, Larkin said:

Some good fish there 👍

Looks like the lighter gear did the job - bet it was more fun too!

13 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Lovely feed mate, well done. A bit of light gear would've made for some awesome fights👍

The light outfits are great fun and still produced a good feed, I did have a 10 kg outfit with me in case I ran into some larger fish

10 hours ago, Rebel said:

Good haul.

Well done.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 3:50 PM, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish there Bruce.

I have just returned from a van trip to Victoria, so will be fishing again soon.

The other week we had a couple of days of reasonable weather and no report from you, next good day I went out and you weren’t there. Then you posted you were away, what a relief I thought you had given up fishing.

Yes quite pleased with dollies, it doesn’t seem as far out to FAD when you catch fish. Looking at weather forecast I think I’ll appreciate having the canopy on my boat. See you out there.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:35 AM, dlvbw said:

Great catch mate. I am still trying to nail a keeper this year after a million micros! Time to get back out there! 

I was lucky first dollie trip for a year and I struck it lucky. Must admit I was a bit concerned when first couple were throwbacks and no visible signs of fish, but there were a few legal around and the smaller ones disappeared.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, masterfisho7 said:

Top effort there some fine Dollies all so top report 

They were good to catch you forget how hard they go. Hope to find some the next size up next trip, just got to get the right day I like comfortable conditions.

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant effort Bruce - light tackle produces the goods, exciting see Dollie’s dancing once they know they’re  hooked.

A couple of times I had them jumping and dancing 50-60 m from the boat it is little awkward (but thrilling) to control and chase them when your in the boat on your own.

Next trip I’ll have to get the fly rod out and maybe even the 2 kg outfit.

4 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Then you posted you were away, what a relief I thought you had given up fishing.

I won't be giving up fishing unless not able to do so - that will be when I am physically incapable of holding a line.  🤣

38 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:Hi Bruce

Those comments about them dancing on the surface reminded me of the queenies up north and both are great sport on light tackle.

Have you got a Weipa trip planned for this year?

cheers

Fil

There is a difference I have never lost a dollie to a shark, I’ve lost count of the queenies the sharks have eaten.

Heading up for the second week of July school holidays, see if the grandsons can catch a fish or two.

Bruce

15 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

There is a difference I have never lost a dollie to a shark, I’ve lost count of the queenies the sharks have eaten.

Heading up for the second week of July school holidays, see if the grandsons can catch a fish or two.

Bruce

And about time you took those Grand kids up there. Be a great adventure for them. 👍

17 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Bruce

I'm booked in on the Tillimay for what I think is the first week of the July holidays. We wouldn't normally go that late in the year but one of the crew this time is a school teacher. I'll send you a PM with my phone number in case you want a fishing report.

Fil