Back to the normality!!!

JonD

So after last weeks tuna I decided to target the inshore reefs given the forecast wasn't the greatest. Promised a young lad another trip to give his parents a break 🤪. It was one of those mornings where all I wanted to do was roll back over in bed when I saw my vehicle covered in frost, most of which was still on the 4x4 when I reached the ramp.

The bar crossing wasn't the best and I must admit feeling a little apprehensive having broken down in the bar last time I took my boat out!!!!....thermostat overheating issue.

Water temp was 13.4'c, the coldest Ive seen it here. Stopped at the first mark to find the whole area loaded with pike so moved to another where gummies are normally very common. After an hour or so and only sweep to show for our efforts I decided to head out to deeper reefs in the hope of at least one snapper. This wasn't to be, just one sergeant baker and a rock cod from the dirty brown water. 

Decided to head to another gummy shark spot closer to shore and drop the anchor again. Had the burley cage down for another hour and managed about 10 green eels ☺️.

The decision was made to head back to the first spot and finish the day catching pike again. Things certainly haven't changed much on the inshore reefs, came home pondering if this boat owning is worth it.

Sorry no pic's of the eels and pike.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

Great report Jon - from Tuna to Sweep 🤪. I wouldn’t be disappointed with yellowfin Pike, if they are bled and eaten the same day, I reckon  they’re pretty good, but always disappointing when you miss the target species.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:30 AM, Pickles said:

Great report Jon - from Tuna to Sweep 🤪. I wouldn’t be disappointed with yellowfin Pike, if they are bled and eaten the same day, I reckon  they’re pretty good, but always disappointing when you miss the target species.

From tuna to sweep followed by a quick dip over last weekend. A tasty treat for the elderly neighbours.

IMG_6971.thumb.jpg.30818b006ec7ef871a3f9137f9e3a627.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JonD said:

From tuna to sweep followed by a quick dip over last weekend. A tasty treat for the elderly neighbours.

IMG_6971.thumb.jpg.30818b006ec7ef871a3f9137f9e3a627.jpg

Hard to believe, but lobster were once fed to Tasmanian convicts in the early days of the colony as they were (then) easily available, easy to collect and considered “poor food”.

hHow things have changed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Hard to believe, but lobster were once fed to Tasmanian convicts in the early days of the colony as they were (then) easily available, easy to collect and considered “poor food”.

hHow things have changed.

Can't expect the Brits to know much about quality food Bob. The #1 being fish and chips, #2 being fish, chips, and sloppy peas.

Just saying like.   bn

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

Can't expect the Brits to know much about quality food Bob. The #1 being fish and chips, #2 being fish, chips, and sloppy peas.

Just saying like.   bn

To be honest Neil, I really like them but developed allergies to shellfish 🤨

I do eat a little every now and then but they have to be very fresh and even then I get itchy fingers from handling them and itchy gums!!!!....

The old couple are in their 90's and used to catch their own seafood but only mange the odd bream these days. I find catching lobsters simply so much fun, being able to give them to people who really appreciate them is the icing on the cake.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, big Neil said:

Just saying like.   bn

Ha Ha, so true Neil, (from one who should know)