Great fun trashing a few big Carp...

big Neil

A lovely Spring day here in the Riverina, so I had a look at the channel regulator, located at the bottom of my street. One gate slightly open and a nice little run in the water. Unlike the river, which is still flooded, the channels are quite low for this time of year. BEWDY! I gathered up the tackle and some bread and set up just downstream of the regulator. 5 minutes in and the rod buckles over. A big BLACK coloured Carp in the low 60's takes off. Nice tussle tiring it out as it went up and down the channel numerous times. I had a bit of trouble getting it into the landing net as I was about 5 ft above the water. Over the next few hours or so I got 3 more, the biggest in the low 70's and probably in the region of 12 lbs (estimated). Had a few people stop to chat, one visiting from Qld and another guy out for a walk. I seconded him to help with the landing net when I had a Carp on both rods. Lucky he arrived when he did!

The regulator...

IMG20221004153307rs.jpg.d169e7c9d4741770abfcbd3664abfed5.jpg

The Black Carp

IMG20221004143918rs.thumb.jpg.157d3d3137e1900e53d845651975edc2.jpg

Good to get rid of these lot...

IMG20221004170045rs.thumb.jpg.6323db700e5da686b7d054691a2f5523.jpg

If the weather holds, look out Mud Marlins.

bn

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice work b.n. 

I was surprised how hard they go. The biggest I caught was 59cm at Nyngan a few years ago - just passing through so dropped in a line with floating bread crusts. Hooked a bigger one and could not stop it before it tangled the line in tree roots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Looks like a good way to test out a @wazatherfisherman's new rod @big Neil! Is that the new reel you picked up in Syd as well? That should give you some confidence it will readily handle a big cod.

I'm sure it will handle big Cod, if the river ever drops so I can go catch them Mike. Much more rain on the way so that's not going to help, in the short term. Meantime Mud Marlin will be the target. bn

2 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Nice work Neil .... thats 4 less carp in our waterways!!

I'm off to Split Rock tomorrow morning so with a bit of luck will get to bank a few carp. 🙂

Good luck, hope it stays dry for you. I'll look forward to your report. bn

2 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done, any fish is a fish! Good to see you getting out. Hopefully the weather clears out and you can catch a few more.

Also, is that the new rod that @wazatherfisherman made for you?

Yep it sure is. Can't wait to get throwing some lures around with it and the new reel. Fingers crossed for the river being fishable by Dec 1st when Cod season opens again. bn

• Like 1

16 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good luck, hope it stays dry for you. I'll look forward to your report. bn

Well, it stayed dry but overcast with a bit of wind ... not the best conditions for sightcasting to carp.

The main reason I went up to Split Rock was to see if an issue I've been having with the motor is fixed after yesterday's service ... unfortunately its not so the motor cuts out after it runs for a couple of minutes. More investigation needed on that one.

I was under some time pressure and not keen to move too far from the ramp so only fished for about 30 mins - opened a hook up on the first carp but boated the 2nd - it was just a whisker over 60cm.

With all the recent rain, a massive boulder must have come loose and finished up in the car park - there was a trail of destruction where it rolled down the mountain side.

Split Rock is now at 99.1% full - its come up 15% in the past 3 weeks with more rain forecast this weekend. There is now about 1 metre of boat ramp from car park to waters edge.

IMG_5050.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about your motor Steve. I hope you can get it running properly for Cod season opening. Good to see the demise of another Carp. Looks like you will be suffering from flooding in your region too. After my little assault on the Carp yesterday, it has rained non - stop for over 24 hrs and will continue for a few more days, according to the Bureau. Looks like the Carp will get a small reprieve till next week.

bn

• Like 1

Way to go Neil, great to see the pics of dead carp - I was in Adelaide recently and they were in a fishmongers in the markets for $35 kg. You could start a new venture selling carp - maybe the blokes at the bowling club might be interested (not).

I think you’re correct about the rain event putting the stops on fishing for a while.

keep well mate.