Port Hacking - a bit quiet

Yowie

Quite a bit of colour in the water up from Lilli Pilli, so expected to pull out something. Well, it did not work out that way.

I anchored near Lilli Pilli in the early morning, for a couple of under sized tailor and reddies. Fish were scarce, and no yakkas either.

Moved along to Maianbar flats, pumped some nippers, still some colour in the water on the run-up tide, but the only bite was a small whiting, nothing else. The water was full of kelp and slimy weed pieces, washed in from the big swell a couple of days ago. If you left your line in the water for too long, it was picking up the weed and kelp, so moved from there.

Eventually moved to Lilli Pilli flats and drifted with the nippers. That's where I hooked up to the trevally. The were feeding along the edge of the channel, just off the sand bank. Kept the smaller one for fish cakes, the larger one was released, and, it fought for some time before swimming into the net. Apart from those 2, nothing else there.

I tried a few secret spots for one just over legal flattie, another small whiting and a couple of little bream. Even the pickers were quiet.

fish.jpeg.367_files_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.368_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Stonker Trev Yowie! Handline or not, it would have given you a run for your money.

At that size, they want to keep away from the boat, and it made a couple of long runs at first. 6 pound mono and a whiting hook, happy it was not on a handline.

46 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Not as good as you would have liked Yowie and the weed is a damn nuisance, for sure. Hope things improve for you, although I fancy there is much more rain due.

bn

It can only get better b.n.

Looks like more rain for inland NSW this week, not what the farmers need at this time of year. I'm guessing grain harvesting will be starting about now.

44 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

At least you managed something, got an idea on what this weekend will be like now.

Well done

Give it a go, and see what happens.

• Like 1

To Yowie:     Who would be a farmer? Conditions are seldom ideal. Presently they can't get Canola harvested, nor can they get their cotton and rice sown. The extra wet weather means massive costs for the wine industry (spraying to prevent mould / disease). One thing which is on the improve is Murray Cod farming. Stacks of farmers have put the infrastructure in and are farming them for the market. They are becoming very popular in many restaurants. Potentially they could take over from the Barramundi farming market, or seriously impact it.

bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restyle said:

good sized trev, not to surprising its rather quiet after all the rain we've had the last few days.

The rain usually brings something on the bite, but not today.

Edited by Yowie

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

To Yowie:     Who would be a farmer? Conditions are seldom ideal. Presently they can't get Canola harvested, nor can they get their cotton and rice sown. The extra wet weather means massive costs for the wine industry (spraying to prevent mould / disease). One thing which is on the improve is Murray Cod farming. Stacks of farmers have put the infrastructure in and are farming them for the market. They are becoming very popular in many restaurants. Potentially they could take over from the Barramundi farming market, or seriously impact it.

bn

My wife and I travel around the country with our caravan, and we visit many places. Not only larger towns, but also many smaller towns. We like to spend some dollars in the smaller towns to assist in their economies - some bakeries do make good cakes and other goodies. :1clap::wine:

We also speak to the occasional farmer, and hear the real words of farming, not what is printed in the media.

Another thing to see is the Silo Art Trail, both here and in Victoria. Great work by the artists, considering the height of the grain silos.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done @Yowie. Even though you may not have had the expected session, but you still certainly managed to enjoy getting out.

Any thoughts, @Fab1?

Only one.He’s keener than me.Well done Yowie.I enjoy my pillow and blanket way more than any fishing in this crap weather mate.

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Larkin said:

Good couple of trevelly! 
Did well to get a few on a quiet day. 👍

Hate it when that fine slimy weed is around, its real pain to get out of braid.

Very hard to get any bites when the nipper is covered in slimy weed. :puke:

The bigger one made up for nothing else.

Nice trev Yowie, that must have gone ballistic near the bank! That snot weed is a pain! I took my son out last Tuesday for a fish with his mates but when my main motor wouldn't start I used the electric to get us over to Maiainbar for a flats wade. The weed kept coming in with the tide and fouling lines. My theory is it grows every spring from lawn fertiliser:)

8 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice trev Yowie, that must have gone ballistic near the bank! That snot weed is a pain! I took my son out last Tuesday for a fish with his mates but when my main motor wouldn't start I used the electric to get us over to Maiainbar for a flats wade. The weed kept coming in with the tide and fouling lines. My theory is it grows every spring from lawn fertiliser:)

The bigger one certainly took a couple of good runs at first, then just slugged it out for some time.

A few hot dry days and that weed will start to thin out, however, the constant rain does keep it going. You could be close to the mark with lawn fertiliser.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

They’re some good sized Trevor’s Dave - real string pullers.

Yes Bob, the larger one did not want to give up. I'm guessing about 4 pound on 6 pound mono and a whiting hook. I have hooked bigger ones on 6 pound line and could not stop them.