Bucket List - Rowley Shoals

Black CC

I just got back from an amazing trip to the Rowley Shoals, 315km West of Broome. After spending 18 hours steaming out there in the 80 foot charter boat, we had very high expectations and I am pleased to say they were met and then some. We ended up catching 12 Sailfish, about 8 Dog Tooth Tuna, 5 Wahoo, 4 Spanish Mackerel and too many Coral Trout, Long Nose Emperor and Maori Wrasse to count. Each of the 8 of us brought back a full broccoli box full of fillets and we all felt incredibly fortunate to tick off a trip that has been on our bucket list for about 20 years. The pictures below are all pretty self explanatory except the large structure, which is the weather station at Imperieuse Reef. The channel snorkeling, where you are dropped at one end of the channel and drift a for 10 minutes to the other end of the channel and see the amazing aquarium of fish and sharks, is quite incredible as well. Not a cheap trip but arguably the best fishing in Australia.

Sailfish at the Rowley Shoals.JPG

Coral Trout.JPG

Dog Tooth Tuna 51kg.JPG

Maori Wrasse Rowley Shoals.jpg

Sailfish 2.5M.JPG

Long Nose Emperor Rowley Shoals.JPG

Maori Snapper.JPG

Weather Station Rowley Shoals.JPG

More Sailfish.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Wow, that is a fishing destination of a lifetime.....still smiling?

Rob,

Every time I go to the freezer and pull out another pack of fish from the Rowley Shoals I can't wipe the smile from my face. One of the guys caught 10 new species for him personally on the trip.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1