Jewfish in the local

SaltyGreek

After a very busy winter with football and yr12 the opening to spring and onwards led to some cracking sessions on the most addicting (and patience testing) fish in the estuary, that of course being the jewfish.  The completion of school and football for 2022 meant that I had a lot of time to spend chasing silver and I'd dare say that the disheartening winter, losing a monster and the dozens of eels paid off for some of my recent catches. 

September-October (breaking the curse)

Should've been studying for my maths test but I was confident in myself so I decided to treat myself to an afternoon fish. I did not have the intentions of chasing jew but as I headed down to the spot the thought of them lurking in the area sparked some (very little) hope of hooking one. It had been almost 2 years since I landed my first on a lure so I thought I was cursed but after only 3 casts I had hooked into something bigger than the perch I intended to target. After a 5 minute battle on the 1-4kg rod, I had a nice jewie at my feet. "finally, the curse is broken". I tried this spot again mid hsc to treat myself to completing English forever and landed myself my new pb jew on lure at 84cm and then a tiny 31cm model the next day. All fish were landed on the light gear which made for some very intense but fun fights listening to the 2500 reel sing whilst trying to steer them away from the structure. 

F4CDC2EB-EAA9-4395-AA8B-BCC465F1EC96.thumb.jpeg.c503e8ba6a4c0104142ce802dc325f34.jpeg

C0B9621B-54DF-425C-8F28-6C458D591FA2.thumb.jpeg.ccb91a2c285d216c269f4fa81e07bffe.jpeg

November (new grounds)

The first thing I did after finishing the HSC was plan a fishing trip out on the boat with the goal of landing a jew out of a new spot that I had been scoping out. It all started on the Friday where I went out squidding with my mate Adrain. Unfortunately, he was unable to land his first squid (he is now fully committed to catching one) however luck was on my side where I was able to land 4 in a matter of 10 minutes. Perfect sized arrow squid and plenty of them to see me out for the next month of jew fishing. The next day I headed out early with @JamoDamoon the tinny where we took a gamble, testing ourselves in unfamiliar ground. We stuck to the plan and by 6:45am the rods were out loaded with a mix of squid strips, mullet fillets and 1 with a whole arrow squid. Right on the change, the 6500 with the whole arrow squid screamed, taking a solid run upstream towards the structure. I steered the fish round the boat and saw the solid slab of silver drift into the net. Landing that fish had to of been one of my most satisfying catches of the year. Throughout the rest of the month I managed to land multiple other soapies ranging from a mere 28cm to mid 60s whilst fishing for whiting in other new and unfamiliar spots.

1865169589_37E0F208-C397-4A1A-AE8E-A5CB93AE3F663.thumb.JPG.6acb7a4fdd96bf179aaf94f9cb795238.JPG

B13D0584-8DEF-4714-A04C-70639F5A7415.thumb.jpeg.25b7ae7e93a5e61d8d3b8fe442f91e84.jpeg

So far this year I’ve landed 13 Jews and counting which well exceeds my yearly goal of at least 5. The next few months before uni and football will hopefully be as fruitful as the last few and hopefully I can tick off some new PBs and some new species. Thank you for the read 👍

Edited by SaltyGreek
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic report and results @SaltyGreek. Looks like you're well on your way to becoming a Mulloway king.

Congrats also on finishing school. A huge milestone. Those days between finishing school and starting uni were some of the best days of my life, although I wasted far too much of my free time chasing carp in the Parra! 🤣 I'm sure you'll make better use of them 😎

• Like 2

Good work on the jews, it is fun to pull out some legal ones. I can still remember my first one back in the 1960's.

As I was studying for my HSC, the was a run of jewies in Port Hacking, so it was a matter of splitting time between studying and fishing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 12/8/2022 at 6:24 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Fantastic report and results @SaltyGreek. Looks like you're well on your way to becoming a Mulloway king.

Congrats also on finishing school. A huge milestone. Those days between finishing school and starting uni were some of the best days of my life, although I wasted far too much of my free time chasing carp in the Parra! 🤣 I'm sure you'll make better use of them 😎

Thanks! It’s been pretty fun so far, tye jewies are a bonus 

On 12/8/2022 at 6:30 AM, Yowie said:

Good work on the jews, it is fun to pull out some legal ones. I can still remember my first one back in the 1960's.

As I was studying for my HSC, the was a run of jewies in Port Hacking, so it was a matter of splitting time between studying and fishing.

Thank you, i may or may not have planned my fishing trips better than my essays but I definitely spent an equal amount of time fishing and studying 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Awesome report, I wish I could fit in as many sessions as you. Well done on smashing your previous PB of jewies.

Thank you, currently making the most of the good weather, clean water and the free time before it gets busy early next year 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Great post salty!

love to read about a plan that gets the chockies!

impressed by you already beating your goal for the year!

Thanks, it’s always very satisfying when the plan comes together. I set the goal of 5 per year in 2020 and I almost achieved 5 Jews on one occasion this year but for now I’m trying to get to 15 before December 31st!

• Like 1

What a fabulous report. Firstly you fill us in with your fishing experiences. Obviously you are a very capable angler, who can trust his capabilities enough to confidently land Jewfish on light gear. You also display a great knowledge of reading the water and being able to find bait AND quarry with confidence.

Secondly you show discipline. The temptation to go fishing is put on the back burner while you complete your desired level of study. You obviously know yourself well enough to figure out where more schoolwork is required. You get that sorted and then you can go fishing.

Thirdly, you have the physical aspect of life sorted by playing sport regularly...great for the physical and mental parts of development.

Summing up, young fellow, the future is in good hands when people like yourself step up to the penalty spot.

Good luck with your future goals.

Keep it up, bn  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 5:22 AM, big Neil said:

What a fabulous report. Firstly you fill us in with your fishing experiences. Obviously you are a very capable angler, who can trust his capabilities enough to confidently land Jewfish on light gear. You also display a great knowledge of reading the water and being able to find bait AND quarry with confidence.

Secondly you show discipline. The temptation to go fishing is put on the back burner while you complete your desired level of study. You obviously know yourself well enough to figure out where more schoolwork is required. You get that sorted and then you can go fishing.

Thirdly, you have the physical aspect of life sorted by playing sport regularly...great for the physical and mental parts of development.

Summing up, young fellow, the future is in good hands when people like yourself step up to the penalty spot.

Good luck with your future goals.

Keep it up, bn  

This made my night, thank you. I try to keep a balance of all 3, but it leans more towards football and school during the winter especially when I was working on my major work, but at times I’d give myself a break and go out for a fish.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

Thank you. I’ll be starting uni next year doing sport science at Macquarie 

Congrats on the great HSC result and the university admission @SaltyGreek. It must have been a roaring good result to exceed your fishing achievements!

Macquarie has a lovely campus, which is very underrated by the public. I’ve just finished a degree there and I’m going to miss it. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Very best of luck with your future endeavours, don't neglect your fishing and reporting on how you're doing. Always interesting to follow someone's fishing experiences, especially when they have much potential. Live long and prosper, bn

• Thanks 1