Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up past Lilli Pilli in the deep water.

Pulled up a couple of yakkas, so cut them into strips, along with squid and pillies. Pulled up 3 jewies, about 30cm and 2 under 60 cm, as well as 2 teraglin at 35 and 37cm.

After a while, I hooked up a 62 cm flattie, lip hooked so released it, along with a red gurnard. The reddie is only just over the limit, deep hooked, released it but it just floated about so scooped it up and into the box.

When the tide turned to run-up, I moved and pumped some nippers. Fished on the Lilli Pilli flats in various places. Plenty of bream to be seen in the clear water, though many appeared undersized. Also saw a few whiting and blackfish, and a turtle feeding in the shallows on ribbon weed.

Lobbed out nippers, and hooked the bigger whiting. That is the 4th one over the years at the 45cm mark, cannot find them any longer than that. Tried other drifts over the bank for the other whiting, and released 2 bream in the high 20's, as I did not want them.

Many boats out this morning, including young kids in high powered boats well before sunrise, no lights on, just speeding about, 30 knots or so through the 6 knot zone. Even a few dumb arse adults motoring along at similar speed in the 6 knot zone. Well past sunrise, the Water Police did a cruise through the area, but the problem boats had long ago disappeared.

fish.jpeg.384_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 12

Are you 100% sure they were Teraglin? Pretty rare to get them anywhere other than offshore reefs, not saying they weren't, please don't take it that way, I am just interested in positive identification.

3 hours ago, Restyle said:

i call cheats on the whiting! its a cm past the 0 mark hahah Good fish neverless. Quite surprising about trags though, a very intresting catch. 

It was 45.5cm when first landed, the cold in the ice box causes a bit of shrinkage. Think of your jatz crackers in a cold surf swim, shrinkage applies. :074:

I pulled a trag several weeks ago, at 29cm, so there must be a few up river. You have probably seen me at that secret spot before.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Yowie, I'm back in Sydney and hopefully some fish will find their way onto my lines soon. Any kingfish action at the moment?

Have not seen any kings for a while. The amount of jet skis, kids speed boats, and general high volume water traffic would be affecting surface fish. Maybe Gymea Bay would be a little quieter.

2 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

A real stonker of a whiting. I have heard that sand worms can get you 50+ whiting, but haven't seen any proof. Well done on the report and getting out.

Thank you. The whiting were full of squirt worms, a top bait for them. Just a matter of getting them out of the sand.

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Are you 100% sure they were Teraglin? Pretty rare to get them anywhere other than offshore reefs, not saying they weren't, please don't take it that way, I am just interested in positive identification.

Certainly were trags. Have caught them before. After pulling up a few jewies as well, the difference is obvious, sticks out like dog's doovers.

The spot I caught them has produced a few surprises over the years. Many years ago, I caught nannygai there, between a pound and a pound and a half, bigger than any I caught outside, even on the deeper reef areas. Were only there for 2 seasons.

Another time, little hammerheads turned up over a couple of years. 2 to 3 foot long, snappy little bastards that scared off everything else. They were a surprise.

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Cracker of a Whiting there Yowie and certainly interesting other catches.

It was an interesting day, considering the amount of boat traffic.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Another stonker whiting Dave - Well done

Thanks Bob. Certainly put up a fight.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, noelm said:

Very interesting, the only place (except for out in the ocean) I have ever heard of Trag being caught is Port Kembla harbour!

that is 3 over the last couple of months. The only other one in Port Hacking previous to that was many years ago, in shallower water, and it was about 45cm long.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Leave my undersized fish alone.

I was thinking of fishing today and that’s as far as my thoughts went.Me thinks there will be a empty garage at my place very soon.

love your work.FB1CC266-C9A4-4A58-873D-25D3A0CC07CF.thumb.jpeg.51e88240a0d0c40fb7dd2afb6d3e243f.jpeg

You could always fill up that pond with some trout or carp, and practice catching them. 🤣 

Back in "the old days" fishing for Trag was quite common, we used to get quite a few just after dark on most reef systems, but they seemed to have vanished for years now, haven't heard of any caught for ages (until now)

44 minutes ago, Yowie said:

You could always fill up that pond with some trout or carp, and practice catching them. 🤣 

I’d still struggle to catch anything.Once I went to a trout farm where there’s 6965445644 trout on top of each other and they give you a rod and bait and I couldn’t catch one while 5yr olds beside me could.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Sounds like a jam packed session Yowie! Horse of a whiting and like you I can’t seem to find them beyond the 45cm mark! Very healthy looking fish 👏🏻👏🏻

Thanks Rob. You know when you hook a decent size whiting. There were a few more swimming about, not as big, but not interested in nippers that I cast to them. 

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Back in "the old days" fishing for Trag was quite common, we used to get quite a few just after dark on most reef systems, but they seemed to have vanished for years now, haven't heard of any caught for ages (until now)

Many years I ago, I picked up the odd one in Bate Bay at night, but have not seen them for quite some time.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Some good whiting yet again! Looks like you caught a good mix of fish - even though they were small Jew and trag.

Yes, a mixed bag of sorts again. The small jew was a tiddler about 30cm, smaller than the trags. The jews popped up just after the trags, maybe the trags swimming with the jewies.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:09 PM, Yowie said:

Many boats out this morning, including young kids in high powered boats well before sunrise, no lights on, just speeding about, 30 knots or so through the 6 knot zone. Even a few dumb arse adults motoring along at similar speed in the 6 knot zone. Well past sunrise, the Water Police did a cruise through the area, but the problem boats had long ago disappeared.

Nice catch as usual Yowie.  

I heard today that the water police are going to base a boat at the fisheries / darook park. It’s long overdue. The hacking is being loved to death. Weekend fishing is impossible with boat traffic now and that’s all I can do. Even up on the sand flat on my kayak I have jet skis come scooting over just to sticky beak on me.  Not sure what the answer is but the traffic has increased a lot since 2019

1 hour ago, mark_s said:

Nice catch as usual Yowie.  

I heard today that the water police are going to base a boat at the fisheries / darook park. It’s long overdue. The hacking is being loved to death. Weekend fishing is impossible with boat traffic now and that’s all I can do. Even up on the sand flat on my kayak I have jet skis come scooting over just to sticky beak on me.  Not sure what the answer is but the traffic has increased a lot since 2019

Thank you.

Since Covid started, people were not heading overseas for holidays, so many spent thier money on jetskis, boats, caravans. Since they have these toys, the owners are out using them. There is also the attitude that many only care about themsleves, no-one else.

My neighbour was near Lugarno a week or so ago, and the jet ski riders were deliberatley spraying water onto people in boats. No respect for others.