Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out with my mate yesterday to Bate Bay, anchored and fished from the arvo into darkness.

A lot of throw backs, just under sized reddies, wirrah, baker, sweep. My mate pulled the 2 reddies, biggest at 37cm, and the jacket for me at 35cm. I dropped what felt like a bigger reddie, the hook pulled under the boat.

Plenty of big yakkas turned up later on, and a couple of big slimies, so they made strip baits. My mate pulled up 2 little kingies, and I hooked what felt like a legal one, plenty of power with a good run, then gone. The line near the hook was chaffed a little. 

Nearing darkness, the bottom fish and the yakkas disappeared, a bit unusual, so I suggested sharks about. We floated out baits on the surface for a few tailor, mostly around the 32cm mark, kept 2 and released a few more. I had a solid hit, not a tailor, then a run and bitten off. Shortly after, my mate had a solid hit, a big run then gone, the line parted. Time to head home.

As a side issue, my fishing neighbour showed me a video of a bull shark hooked in Botany Bay, on game fishing tackle, about 150kg, that swam up to the boat and bit the duck board. Another 3 were also hooked. He also told me of 2 bull sharks hooked off the sand bank at Dolls Point yesterday. Not a time to be swimming up river.

fish.jpeg.388_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Headed out with my mate yesterday to Bate Bay, anchored and fished from the arvo into darkness.

A lot of throw backs, just under sized reddies, wirrah, baker, sweep. My mate pulled the 2 reddies, biggest at 37cm, and the jacket for me at 35cm. I dropped what felt like a bigger reddie, the hook pulled under the boat.

Plenty of big yakkas turned up later on, and a couple of big slimies, so they made strip baits. My mate pulled up 2 little kingies, and I hooked what felt like a legal one, plenty of power with a good run, then gone. The line near the hook was chaffed a little. 

Nearing darkness, the bottom fish and the yakkas disappeared, a bit unusual, so I suggested sharks about. We floated out baits on the surface for a few tailor, mostly around the 32cm mark, kept 2 and released a few more. I had a solid hit, not a tailor, then a run and bitten off. Shortly after, my mate had a solid hit, a big run then gone, the line parted. Time to head home.

As a side issue, my fishing neighbour showed me a video of a bull shark hooked in Botany Bay, on game fishing tackle, about 150kg, that swam up to the boat and bit the duck board. Another 3 were also hooked. He also told me of 2 bull sharks hooked off the sand bank at Dolls Point yesterday. Not a time to be swimming up river.

fish.jpeg.388_files_files_files.jpg

Good stuff as always, plenty of Bonito around sitting around 60cm and I failed to hook any kings on Saturday. 
I had a guy show me a video of a couple smaller bulls chasing bait up onto the sand in south west arm 

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

Good stuff as always, plenty of Bonito around sitting around 60cm and I failed to hook any kings on Saturday. 
I had a guy show me a video of a couple smaller bulls chasing bait up onto the sand in south west arm 

The water has warmed, so the bulls are getting ready for breeding time. Why anyone goes swimming in the rivers not knowing what is swimming underneath them - I suppose if you cannot see anything, then there is nothing to worry about. 😂 Grays Point an example.

I was hoping for a bonnie for bait, but these critters on the surface amongst the tailor were bigger, they took off in a straight line. My mate was laughing at me (it was one of those nights the fish kept getting off my line) until he hooked up and it was not stopping, so he increased the drag a little then the line broke.

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice feed Yowie, wouldn't be nice to be swimming with bull sharks.

Something to eat. I would rather be eating some fish than being eaten by sharks. 🤣

1 hour ago, kobi caught a fish said:

I was down at gunnamatta this afternoon and there was was people swimming outside the nets with the huge shark nets next to them. I wouldn’t be swimming there.

Nice fish Yowie

Thank you. A couple of weeks ago, mum's neighbour told me of the shark swimming near the bathes. People do not listen.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice mixed bag! 

Need a bit of a fishing mystery sometimes - especially when night fishing 

Enough for a feed.

No mistaking something of weight was on the line during the darkness. 🤣 Thought my mate was going to be pulled out of his chair, he had his feet on the back of the boat and was hanging on. :074:

The neighbour told me the fishos in Botany Bay were targeting sharks - marlin rods and reels, wire traces, big baits, and the rod was bending over as the bulls tried to swim off.

32 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well done Dave - I sympathise with the ones you dropped - know the feeling only too well. Good work on the ones you landed 👍

Thanks Bob, ai least something for the plate.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

The water has warmed, so the bulls are getting ready for breeding time. Why anyone goes swimming in the rivers not knowing what is swimming underneath them - I suppose if you cannot see anything, then there is nothing to worry about. 😂 Grays Point an example.

I was hoping for a bonnie for bait, but these critters on the surface amongst the tailor were bigger, they took off in a straight line. My mate was laughing at me (it was one of those nights the fish kept getting off my line) until he hooked up and it was not stopping, so he increased the drag a little then the line broke.

That’s why I swim in my pool.I can see the bottom.😂😂

• Like 1