Kings & Squid on Fire!

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

I took a mate (who also jet ski fishes) out to go for some local snapper & kings today.

first light loaded up on yakkas and headed out. Hit up the snapper spot first - my mate hooked a 60cm king - released. I kept casting with my streakz SP.

I was casting for about an hour with no bites, then the rod bends over and I’m onto a big fish - I pull back and it takes off hard. It’s a very good fish 70+ from the way it’s pulling. Stupid me didn’t yank the rod to get a good hook set and with some hardcore head shakes, the hook pulls! 

After about another 20 mins, we leave and head over to the kingy spot from last week - bait balls everywhere and big marks on the sounder. I throw over a livie and within a minute I’m on - both of us fight fish after fish. 
I kept a 66cm & 70cm

My mate kept a 65cm and a 80cm - he also hooks up a 60cm Bonnie on a yakka.

we bring in a few more just under and release.

mate has to leave at 11am, so I decide to hit up a couple of squid spots.

Squid are on fire in the hacking! Finally.

spent the next two hours bringing in 14 green eyes. Some small and some good eating size. Will keep the small ones for bait, and the large ones are going to become entree’s.

Passing one of the fish to a work mate, and some fillets & a couple of squid to my parents as I have enough fish from last week. Will be keeping the rest of the squid as I’ve been waiting for months for some calamari 😋

56C8FD0A-8472-4A58-88CD-B7E4F80F8EC3.thumb.jpeg.c265a21d953af670005966a79ff8c682.jpeg
7DB921E6-302D-4597-8D20-B48191439934.thumb.jpeg.06368278dc37aba2e8a433a729d638e0.jpeg

31344CD6-8B03-43F1-92D7-17EB14BA93A0.thumb.jpeg.8fc8627eccb8fc7cba7a5843038a0611.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 25

• Larkin changed the title to Kings & Squid on Fire!
10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

What a day and a great feed for family and friends!

Thanks Mike, squid are back on the menu!

8 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Great day and great tucker!

thanks Wazza! was a fun day.

@wazatherfisherman Got a surprise for you - got some good footage of your lure in action from last week, will post very soon!

2 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Epic mate. What a great session!

Thanks mate, some good fish around atm and the squid are back.

24 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Brilliant stuff Larkin, nice feed.

Well done.

Thanks Isaac, 

mate get onto the squid - there back in the hacking. 

Just now, bessell1955 said:

Great haul, well done!

Thanks Bessel!

was a good session!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zmk1962 said:

Great work! Can’t complain about a session like that. Enjoy the spoils. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran, the local kings are playing ball atm - been good fun over the last two weeks.

fillets of kingy came up perfect after a garlic spice rub

A07F7AFE-3F20-457F-9287-3EFA38931723.thumb.jpeg.801605ce8cd93569577bcc79f7a1ea69.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul,especially the squid.

Geart photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel - a calamari banquet at my house lol 😂 

4 hours ago, Restyle said:

nice to FINALLY See some calis! hopefully the kings will be inside tomorrow as i head out! 

Plenty squid out there now, fished two locations and both held plenty.

Should be a few kings inside - seen large marks on the sounder underneath as we were catching yakkas. Also my neighbour caught a 113cm king slow trolling a livie in the deep Chanel leading out of burraneer bay 3 weeks ago. I saw the photos and it was huge! big fish for the hacking.

Edited by Larkin

6 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Excellent Chris- looking forward to the footage!

Here’s the video mate! @wazatherfisherman

personally I think it’s a much better design than the sluggos that everyone uses for kingfish. At 3.13 on the video for a few seconds you can see its fluid snake like action that it has when swimming in the water.

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Great video Larkin. Wonderful to see a Fishraider collaboration coming together. Great report of a fabulous time on the water. Plenty of fish/ cephalopods to keep you going for a while. Keep up the good work, great report. bn

Thanks Neil! Been good fishing lately.

Has been fun trying out some original lure designs from Wazza. There’s another design that I plan to try out on deep water snapper.

2 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Another good day out. Nice bag of squidlies, they have been missing for a while. Were they inside or outside?

Hi Yowie, I did a test last week on the way back in & got one, so knew they weren’t far off. All were caught inside - both sides of the hacking was producing. Caught all these between 12-2pm

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Hi Yowie, I did a test last week on the way back in & got one, so knew they weren’t far off. All were caught inside - both sides of the hacking was producing. Caught all these between 12-2pm

Thank you. In the middle of the day as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant work Chris - squid must really have been schooled up and hungry. Love those Kingies👏👏

Thanks bob - was another good session this week. The squid have just come inside over the last week.

48 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Thank you. In the middle of the day as well.

Yamashita EGI O in Pink UV (Keimura) size 3. The UV (Keimura) makes a big difference in catch rate through daylight hours in clear water systems like the hacking.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice day out. Congrats on the kings and good to see the squidlies cooperating 🙏🏻

what depth for the green eyes if you don’t mind sharing 🙏🏻

Hey Rob,

They were shallow - from 2m up to around 6m

At one of the spots, i got a bunch casting in close to shore - within a few meters of the rocks.

Had some for dinner tonight - too good

Lightly dusted in 50% tapioca flour 50% potato flour (potato starch) salt & pepper, and into hot vegetable oil. Chopped coriander, fresh chilli & fresh lime juice coated on top - with a side of grilled kingfish fillet!

I love the cooking & eating just as much as the catching - the cleanup of the kitchen though, is another story…

9F089869-DC4C-444A-B10D-9A9CD6CC8B43.thumb.jpeg.e615bff82fec7088577ecf10216f4062.jpeg

A9910346-508F-4B1F-93F8-116EC0725C4A.thumb.jpeg.ed22a3f32b67b19a64327ec2949d0704.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:25 PM, Larkin said:

Gday Raiders,

I took a mate (who also jet ski fishes) out to go for some local snapper & kings today.

first light loaded up on yakkas and headed out. Hit up the snapper spot first - my mate hooked a 60cm king - released. I kept casting with my streakz SP.

I was casting for about an hour with no bites, then the rod bends over and I’m onto a big fish - I pull back and it takes off hard. It’s a very good fish 70+ from the way it’s pulling. Stupid me didn’t yank the rod to get a good hook set and with some hardcore head shakes, the hook pulls! 

After about another 20 mins, we leave and head over to the kingy spot from last week - bait balls everywhere and big marks on the sounder. I throw over a livie and within a minute I’m on - both of us fight fish after fish. 
I kept a 66cm & 70cm

My mate kept a 65cm and a 80cm - he also hooks up a 60cm Bonnie on a yakka.

we bring in a few more just under and release.

mate has to leave at 11am, so I decide to hit up a couple of squid spots.

Squid are on fire in the hacking! Finally.

spent the next two hours bringing in 14 green eyes. Some small and some good eating size. Will keep the small ones for bait, and the large ones are going to become entree’s.

Passing one of the fish to a work mate, and some fillets & a couple of squid to my parents as I have enough fish from last week. Will be keeping the rest of the squid as I’ve been waiting for months for some calamari 😋

56C8FD0A-8472-4A58-88CD-B7E4F80F8EC3.thumb.jpeg.c265a21d953af670005966a79ff8c682.jpeg
7DB921E6-302D-4597-8D20-B48191439934.thumb.jpeg.06368278dc37aba2e8a433a729d638e0.jpeg

31344CD6-8B03-43F1-92D7-17EB14BA93A0.thumb.jpeg.8fc8627eccb8fc7cba7a5843038a0611.jpeg

We’ll done mate

still waiting for my 1st legal kingy this season

• Thanks 1