Sydney Off shore bonanza - Dolphin fish and Kingies

Pickles

Headed out early with Buddy Steve to bait grounds and filled up with nice size Yakkas and then straight out to the FAD. When we arrived just on dawn the Dollie’s were characteristically jumping and monstered our live baits. Kingies were only little, but all dolphin fish were close to 70cm. After 9 in the boat and several dropped when doing their aerial antics we released the the rest until we ran out f bait and then deep dropped for morwong, trevally and flathead (one blue spot went 68.

Conditions were sloppy and unpleasant even in Steve’s 24’ Haines, but after threatening to rain, the sky’s cleared and swell dropped a bit. Only problem with getting a good feed of fish is the cleaning - Dollie’s are easy to process though and don’t need scaling.

EB0BD8B0-09AD-49E8-8489-C6C4BCB9B609.jpeg

C361FAAE-0121-45C4-9B2C-6BC15A43F7AB.jpeg

C5B0424E-4F62-450C-98B8-CE5DA06486DE.jpeg

• Like 16

Great report and a great trip out on all accounts..

It would be nice if the weather gods played ball for those of us trying to get out and enjoy a spot of fishing, but a nice feed of fresh stuff soon makes one forget the uncomfortable conditions.

Congrats on you catch..

Ok that answers the question "What have you been up to?" Fabulous report and plenty of fish to eat for the next short while. How did Steve's boat go? He was doing some work on it, or one of his other boats, last time I was in Sydney. Should have been a bit more comfy than yours in the choppy conditions. Anyway, good to hear that you got out, and not surprisingly, among the fish. Cheers, bn

ps. Where's the banana?

Edited by big Neil
addition
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Ok that answers the question "What have you been up to?" Fabulous report and plenty of fish to eat for the next short while. How did Steve's boat go? He was doing some work on it, or one of his other boats, last time I was in Sydney. Should have been a bit more comfy than yours in the choppy conditions. Anyway, good to hear that you got out, and not surprisingly, among the fish. Cheers, bn

ps. Where's the banana?

Hey Neil, Steve put a new leg on the stern drive and this was its first outing. I suggested we give it a good run and head off shore. “Thirsty” went really well and God was good. (I did have a banana, but got hungry and ate it 🤪

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish there Bob, however, you can keep the mowies. I rate them 1 out of 10 for the table  😁. A big blue spot at 63.

I know what you mean Dave - exactly howI feel about bream, but some fisho’s love them. I bleed nearly all fish I catch and skin and fillet them, the Blue Mowies are pretty good when treated that way (in my opinion).

10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great job Bob! I bet you are a well trained fish processor and chef!

Thanks mate, one of my buddies bought me an expensive and quality filleting knife and it certainly makes the job easier. Cooking though - leave that to Mrs Pickles unless it’s smoked (that’s my job).

23 hours ago, big Neil said:

ps. Where's the banana?

I ate it

8 hours ago, Larkin said:

Looks like you had a great day out bob!

Dollies on fire out there at the moment. That a big blue spot! The fishraider record is 72cm - so pretty close at 68cm. 👍

Chris - can you tell me how to enter info on records ?

Nice haul Pickles, good to see the water temp is still good and dollies getting bigger. My chef and independent fish eating consultant (aka wife) gave the mowies the big thumbs up oven baked whole last time I brought one home. Like you I always bleed, gill and gut anything I'm going to eat the minute it hits the deck which helps I think and lets face it fresh fish trumps stale anything every day. I'll take the dolly fillets though, preferably on the bbq with a cleansing ale!