Easter Snowies Trout

Haven't had the chance to post much recently, but still been fishing the streams consistently. 90 trout for 2023 so far. I have been planning to post on my best trout session ever though, so here goes.

Gear used:

Atomic Arrowz Skinny Water 6' 1-3kg

Daiwa TD Black 2000MQ

Daiwa Presso Minnows

On the Thursday before Easter I left home at 3:30am and headed south. The goal for the 2 day trip was to catch 20 trout (lofty I thought). Arrived at the first location on the Tumut River at 7:30, and after quickly rigging up began fishing. Fairly slow morning but had 6 fish on the board by mid-day. I really had to work the structure to get results here. Moved on further south for lunch at Tumbarumba, where another fish was landed in the local creek. Filled out the afternoon with the family and headed to Jounama for the night. One more fish was landed here for a total of 8 on day 1. 6 rainbows, 2 brown's.

Now, a quick interlude... day 2's location I had fished once before in early Jan for about 30 minutes, and knew I had to get back there. I was drawn by the spectacular scenery, and the incredibly clear water. I attempted to fish it again in late Jan, but the access road was closed for roadworks. With a bit of digging, I discovered that the access road would reopen on the 6th of April, so I made sure I was the first person to fish the stream in 3 months... boy was it worth it! No secrets with this spot... if you've been there or seen pics, you'll know it straight away.

Left Jounama at 4am on the 7th and drove an hour in pouring rain to the location. Rigged up and prepped for the day, and began the hike downstream at 5:30am, by light of a headlamp. First fish was landed in the dark at 6:15am after a cheeky cast into a exceptionally fishy hole. The fishing began in earnest at about 7am, after which it was literally non stop action. Every second cast had a follow, hookup, or fish landed. The fish ranged from juveniles with beautiful finger marks to mature fish with full spawning colours. The clarity of the water meant I saw most of the hookups clearly. I waded for 5 hours in freezing water, fished through 2 massive rain storms, and was soaked to the bone and freezing, but nothing could dampen the mood. Sight casting and landing fish after fish in a setting this beautiful just doesn't get old.

I ended up with 36 trout on the board for day 2, all rainbows. Multiple around 40cm, plus a 46 and a 52 model (the most amazing looking rainbow i have ever caught).

I hope the below pictures do the location and fish justice. All fish were released as this is a self sustaining population. 44 fish total over the 2 days, all pics are from day 2.

20230407_061114.jpg

20230407_082750.jpg

Screenshot_20230407_153333_Gallery.jpg

20230407_114806.jpg

20230407_090524.jpg

20230407_124221.jpg

20230407_124249.jpg

• Like 17

On 4/29/2023 at 8:21 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

Great report  it sure has been a good season

Cheers Rick, certainly has been a good season. Hope you get another go at the trout before the closed season.

9 hours ago, Yowie said:

What a great time you had, a fishing bonanza that happens very infrequently. Wall to wall fish.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant report @R E G I C Y C L E, and great photos, looks spectacular country and a brilliant result. There are some cracker trout in those pics mate - 1st class. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Pickles and Yowie 😁

Magnificent country to be fishing/walking through and wow some great results not just numbers but some big fish! You put in the planning and effort so good to see the fish cooperated.

Any issues with snakes?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Magnificent country to be fishing/walking through and wow some great results not just numbers but some big fish! You put in the planning and effort so good to see the fish cooperated.

Any issues with snakes?

Cheers!

Too cold for snakes on this occasion. I see plenty through the summer months but by April they have slowed down a lot and are less likely to be seen. They honestly aren't an issue though unless you behave stupidly around them.

• Like 1