Cooking your catch

faker

Hi Guys,

Just a curious question of how people would normally prepare their fish for a feed.

The following species  is how I prepare them

Flathead: steam/fried

Bream: Steam

Tailor: Fried

Australian Salmon: battered Fried

Trevally: fried

bonito: fried

Kind of need ideas of how to eat a kingfish/mulloway and more ways to eat others

• Like 1

I’m pretty simple - fillet, dust in flour and shallow fry . A strong tasting fish like tailor I would crumb it , i have had trevalley filleted,skinned ,sliced into short strips then grilled and put on toast with some lemon juice  and  pepper - was pretty good for brekkie!

Kingies and Mulloway used to get cut into steaks and done on the bbq.

• Like 1

Yep, agree with XD351, all quality species don't need fancy spices and sauces, just flour, clean hot oil and fry until "just right" that includes Jewfish. Kingfish we usually do fish cocktail size pieces and crumb or batter, then deep fry. Fish cutlets from bigger species are OK, but a bit "fiddly" to eat for some people. I personally don't eat Bonito, any kind of Shark, Red Rock Cod and most other "ugly" fish. Fish like Kingfish, Trevally and Salmon need to be filleted, skinned and any blood meat cut off, or they will taste very strong.

• Like 1

Australian salmon are straight into the smoker for me, sprinkled with a tad of salt and a sprinkling of brown sugar........ really have to do a good job of bleeding and get them on ice quick.

Kingfish, I was shown a great way many years back, dicing the meat up to small cubes, bite size, put them in a bowl over night of Lemon juice, bit of diced onion or any mixture of your likings. Next night, in a super hot skillet, no more than 20-30 seconds, 2  sides only, ..... Oh Yummy...

But overall, what a difference it makes to taste when dispatched and bleed properly first, makes all the difference in my opinion.

Edited by BaitDropper
  • Like 1

There is a channel on Youtube I watch, Outdoor Chef Life, from the US. The guy is a former Japanese chef and he does catch and cook shows; his filleting skills are awesome! Anyway he was in New Zealand recently and tried kahawai for the first time. In his opinion it is an outstanding fish for sushi or sashimi and he highly rates them.

Who would have thought that.

• Like 1