Surprising capture when bagging out on flatties

Headed out at gentleman’s hour (5am) and launched in Derrubbin to get some flathead fillets. Fished the runout tide (seems to be the best tide at present for flathead) and although pilchards, fresh yellowtail fillets were used, it was the Hawkesbury prawns that produced all the fish.

As well as a bag limit catch of Flatties (one at 56) I caught two big Jewies (but barely legal one going 67 and the a keeper at 72). I also dropped a BIG silver ghost as the leader on all rods was only 12lb.

IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1300.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 20

5am is far too early for me Bob! And I'm apparently a 'morning' person! After years of serving hotel breakfasts when I was in the hospitality industry, I refuse to wake up earlier than 5am any longer.

Anyhow, looks like your efforts were handsomely rewarded. Great work!

• Like 1

Nice fish Pickles !
You definitely did better up river than I did down river on Saturday!  You didn’t happen to notice the water temperature on your sounder did you? I’m  curious to know if it is better than the 15-16 deg I found in broken bay . I had trouble losing a prawn and found down there the half pillie was the bait of the day .

Edited by XD351

9 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

5am is far too early for me Bob! And I'm apparently a 'morning' person! After years of serving hotel breakfasts when I was in the hospitality industry, I refuse to wake up earlier than 5am any longer.

Anyhow, looks like your efforts were handsomely rewarded. Great work!

I also like my sleep in but when you own a boat you soon realise that the early bird gets the parking spot 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, faker said:

Dumb question how do you handle drift on boat and know bait hit bottom? I fished Brisbane waters on boat and got incredibly confused at it

Was anchored (Minkota), I usually only drift when off shore.

15 hours ago, faker said:

Dumb question how do you handle drift on boat and know bait hit bottom? I fished Brisbane waters on boat and got incredibly confused at it

No dumb questions on here faker, we all have different levels of expertise. When I go estuary fishing in my tinny I select a drift of maybe a 100m and drift with the current. I cast my soft plastics ahead of me, let it sink to the bottom, and retrieve it. I keep doing this till I get to the end of the drift, then start the motor and troll suitable diving hard body lures back to the start again. Of course, it depends on the speed of the drift (the slower the better). I usually cover all the water in the selected drift before moving on to another drift. Always catch something...Flathead, Bream, Trevally, Tailor, Salmon being the most common catches. Give it a try.

bn

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XD351 said:

Nice fish Pickles !
You definitely did better up river than I did down river on Saturday!  You didn’t happen to notice the water temperature on your sounder did you? I’m  curious to know if it is better than the 15-16 deg I found in broken bay . I had trouble losing a prawn and found down there the half pillie was the bait of the day .

I had the same problem 2 Saturday’s  ago XD351, I couldn’t  turn a reel and had the same water temps. 

• Like 1