Swansea Thursday with Puppy & Green Peas.

Rebel

Arrived around 7am.

Cool morning. Sun was about to shine.

Chasing Blackfish & Bream.

Slow start. Caught  two bream on cooked prawns around 32cm. Puppy was happy,sitting there all rugged up in her new coat.

Black fish didn't want to play. Mixed up some more berley & put scent on the peas.

And away we go. 6 Blackfish later 32 to 35 cms. Neighbours will be happy

I noticed the post on Blackfish gear this week.

I just use what @wazatherfisherman & @Green Hornet advised me to use when I first started  fishing for Blackfish.

Might be old school, but it works. Don't change anything if it works.

Cheers.

• Like 11

Well done again Rebel. Now the mornings cool its a good time to fish the river and keep your feet dry. Also from what I’m reading around the traps, up your way the blackfish are moving into the rivers now to spawn.

May I ask if you used a traditional scent or did you use the Dizzy, weed concoction?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Well done again Rebel. Now the mornings cool its a good time to fish the river and keep your feet dry. Also from what I’m reading around the traps, up your way the blackfish are moving into the rivers now to spawn.

May I ask if you used a traditional scent or did you use the Dizzy, weed concoction?

What is traditional scent and weed concoction?

58 minutes ago, faker said:

What is traditional scent and weed concoction?

By traditional scent I mean just the normal scent (many brands) you smear on lures etc.

The Dizzy brand makes a weed scent purposely for blackfish flies, that I thought Rebel could have possibly used on his peas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

@Green Hornet & @faker  I use Sax Scent. I have 3  different scents in Sax.

Can't remember which one.

That’s interesting @Rebel I can see a test with a two fly rig, S-Factor on one and Weed Scent on the other coming up.  
For the time being though I’m getting good, fresh weed at one of my local spots, thanks to confirmation from @Burger.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 3

Hey Rebel, been following your posts on using peas for blackfish for a while now and being a keen luds fisherman myself decided to give them ago last week as couldn't get any weed from my local spots (Northern Beaches). Tried them at one of my spots around the spit but only caught small ones but got lots of decent 'dog food' Bream on them, wife will not eat Bream so all went back... do you burly with the peas as well?

Decided to try with weed flies but due to lack of current (I think) the downs were very timid although got a few but the only way of hooking them was to strike quickly as soon as I got a down.

Has anybody else had much success on the weed flies as they certainly look the business in the water?

Cheers, Geoff 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:07 AM, Rebel said:

Arrived around 7am.

Cool morning. Sun was about to shine.

Chasing Blackfish & Bream.

Slow start. Caught  two bream on cooked prawns around 32cm. Puppy was happy,sitting there all rugged up in her new coat.

Black fish didn't want to play. Mixed up some more berley & put scent on the peas.

And away we go. 6 Blackfish later 32 to 35 cms. Neighbours will be happy

I noticed the post on Blackfish gear this week.

I just use what @wazatherfisherman & @Green Hornet advised me to use when I first started  fishing for Blackfish.

Might be old school, but it works. Don't change anything if it works.

Cheers.

Hi Rebel. Well done on your continued success with the green peas for Blackfish baits. Is there any chance you can elaborate on the technique you use to catch Blackfish on green peas and the "scent" which you use. I fully understand if you don't wish to share your methodology. Look forward to your reply. Cheers, bn

1 hour ago, corbs said:

Hey Rebel, been following your posts on using peas for blackfish for a while now and being a keen luds fisherman myself decided to give them ago last week as couldn't get any weed from my local spots (Northern Beaches). Tried them at one of my spots around the spit but only caught small ones but got lots of decent 'dog food' Bream on them, wife will not eat Bream so all went back... do you burly with the peas as well?

Decided to try with weed flies but due to lack of current (I think) the downs were very timid although got a few but the only way of hooking them was to strike quickly as soon as I got a down.

Has anybody else had much success on the weed flies as they certainly look the business in the water?

Cheers, Geoff 

Hey Corbs. I am interested in this thread because I love Blackfishing. DerekD and I have both had success with weed flies used in the conventional way AND fly fishing with them. As you say they are a very realistic looking bait. I suggested that people should consider using them if they cannot get the natural weed baits.  bn

2 hours ago, corbs said:

Cheers, Geoff 

Spit bridge?

@Welster @big Neil & @corbs 

Hi guys. I will have to start charging for Secrets.

I picked up the green peas idea on a post on this forum about five years ago.

So I use cooked Aussie peas. They are a pain to put on small hooks.

When I burley I use sand & two handfulls of peas & scent on the peas.

The peas only started when I couldn't find decent weed.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Cheers.

Thanks Rebel.  It looks like a good winter fishing option to me. 

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Cheers.

Thanks for the info Rebel. PM me an address and I'll send you a piece of my pottery (handy gift idea). Keep the posts coming, always good to read about innovative methods which are successful.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1