Weipa 2023

I'll start this post off with a dedication to @hookerbruce who passed away last year and whose posts on this forum years ago about his Weipa trips inspired me to go there every year since 2009 (excepting a couple due to covid restrictions).

A smaller crew of four (usually six) went for a week ending yesterday on the Houseboat up there and used a couple of their 15 foot tenders as dories to fish from. We caught a good range of fish although the bluefin tuna that provide high speed action were absent again with few if any reports of them coming in. That said we caught spanish mackerel, some big queenfish, quite a few small/average sized Barra, mangrove jacks, blue (king) salmon, permit, javelin fish (locals call them grunter), numerous cod and a fork tail catfish which, unlike the Hawkesbury version, fight hard plus other odds and ends I can't remember.

Looking at the pics you'd think it's crazy fishing, and we did have some great sessions especially in one of the creeks catching a great mix of fish on SPs and small hard body lures and another one off the beach at Red Cliffs on the salmon at dawn again on small plastics, but we also had several fishless outings, so it's best to be realistic if you ever go there that it isn't always easy and having a week gives you the chance to learn what's going on and what isn't biting. 

I've included a few pics 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by LuckyFil
  • Like 16

"Did I mention sharks are a problem..?"

IN the late 2000's I was on a charter in Broome and the sharks were starting to take out baits.

I was in the port rear corner (about  a 20' open tinny) and another bloke was in the starboard corner.

Small sharks (to 1m) were a real pest. As the other bloke reached down to lift a 1m speciment from the water - lifting it by the hook trace very near to the sharks mouyh- something grey about 10 ft long broke the surface and took it from his fingertips..... apart from the shocked swearing ... we were both speechless....

Wish I'd had a go-pro filming it....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dmck said:

"Did I mention sharks are a problem..?"

IN the late 2000's I was on a charter in Broome and the sharks were starting to take out baits.

I was in the port rear corner (about  a 20' open tinny) and another bloke was in the starboard corner.

Small sharks (to 1m) were a real pest. As the other bloke reached down to lift a 1m speciment from the water - lifting it by the hook trace very near to the sharks mouyh- something grey about 10 ft long broke the surface and took it from his fingertips..... apart from the shocked swearing ... we were both speechless....

Wish I'd had a go-pro filming it....

The ones harassing us near the beach were small about 1.2meters. On another occasion when in deeper water chasing tusk fish my son Pat retrieved a hooked fish as fast as possible , he just got it out of the water and we saw what had been stealing our other fish as it broke the surface - a big fella 8 foot plus (maybe bronze whaler) and he wasn't happy about missing Pat's fish!

22 minutes ago, Sean4golf said:

Great post LuckyFil.   

In May did 5 days guided fishing at Weipa. The fishing was exceptional with so many options every keen fishman needs to do it once in their lifetime.

or maybe more than once if you can manage it

Agree Gordo, 

On our trip to Weipa we only took a fish or two for a nightly feed as recommended by our guide.  This included everything from Barra, Threadfin Salmon, Finger Mark, Queenfish, Mackerel and Mud crabs.

On the chew the Threadfin Salmon was easily the best.  However, a feast of 6 Mud Crabs amongst 3 guys was up there....

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 8:23 AM, Yowie said:

Very nice, a lot of variety and sizes.

I had a trip booked with Bruce, ready to go, then Covid stopped the flights, then his medical issue, so did not make it.

Sorry to hear that on both counts.

I like the houseboat option as it means we can make a base down the coast where we do most of our fishing so not travelling from the harbour each day which takes a while. We often did dawn sessions before brekkie and were fishing 3 minutes after leaving the houseboat. But you have to put a crew together (preferably six all up) and that can be difficult.

Other options are the various charter guys who will always get you onto fish quicker - at a price . Or you can hire very good boats from the local tackle shop.

If you ever get around to planning a trip give me PM and I'll pass on what I've learned about the place.

Cheers

Fil

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Great report and pictures. Was up north a few years ago and caught some of those Threadfin Salmon, not sure if they were the same as the ones you were getting, but the ones we had were the best eating fish on the whole trip. 🙂

Threddies are different species but yes both are very good on the plate and both take lures and fight hard often doing aerial jumps . 

• Like 1