Lake Macquarie Flathead

We had the grand kids over to our humble abode on Lake Macquarie last weekend. Apologies for the late report however I have been interstate this week. I was attempting to woo the family away from their favourite form of angling- namely bait. I have been successful of late using vibes to nail some quality lizards around the concentrated bait schools of Eraring Bay. The wind was up a bit so I thought it best to introduce the youngsters to lure fishing off our jetty prior to taking them out in the boat. 

I have been having some success with the 85gram pearl white vibe and had a few of these, as well as some nice 'green' vibes. (Can't remember the actual lure description). Our eldest grandson, Billy (10 years old), was very keen and kept casting lures whilst his 8 year old brother and 5 year old sister were losing interest. Of course I was copping the comments, 'We've never caught fish on lures', they just don't work. Well of course young Billy hooked into a nice fish, and after much commotion managed to land a nice 68cm flathead. After much pleading Billy agreed to release the fish. The photos show the excitement. It was obviously the biggest fish he had ever caught. The look on his face and that of his sister, Rocky is truly memorable.

We continued to fish and managed to catch another 4 flathead, 58cm, 56cm, 53cm, and a smaller fish. The 2 largest fish were released as was the smallest. We did dine on the other 2. Rather nice that we didn't have to go anywhere to catch a feed, however the kids of course want to come back next weekend! Fortunes of living by the water.

Billy1.thumb.jpg.f5ca743e04c39a76f14d409db182f2f2.jpgBilly2.jpg.fe12fb708e3cb3cc20032dacc8ec107f.jpg

• Like 17

Great to see that you were able to open the grandkids' minds to another method of fishing. Fantastic effort in winter as well.

Somehow I suspect that when you get the grandkids out on the boat, they'll nag you to go back to your jetty the whole time, because that was where they nailed their whoppers :D 

What a great experience to share with them.  I am envious of anyone who can fish from their backyard but even more so with the quality of fish available. 

Well done on the release maybe they will catch her again in the future. 

I love it when we read posts of people teaching others the finer points of angling and it ends up with a positive outcome. Well done Guiness and Billy for your relative successes. Tell Billy that there would be a lot of adult anglers who haven't caught such a big Flathead and that he did the right thing to release it. Well done.

bn