Mixed bag

Larkin

Gday raiders, headed out for a fish today up towards Coogee. Water depth around the 60m mark.
Two mates also came out on their jetski’s. Water was sloppy and a bit of wind early on - not the calm they were predicting. It did turn out nice, but not until after 11am.

I managed a couple of small snapper - one right on legal that went back in, kept one that was larger. Drifted off the reef for a decent flatty, then found a school of trag. One of my mates got 4, I managed to get 3. Ended up with a mixed bag. One trag caught on livebait, all other fish caught on salted bonito strip baits.

IMG_2397.thumb.jpeg.1e22156723f60fa798127ee3ba002151.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 15

Very nice there Chris, trags are good eating, will keep you going with a few feeds. Also a nice reddie and flattie.

Had a swim at Eloura Beach around midday, wind was down, water rather cool, but a few of the waves were above the heads of the board riders, and dumping at that size. Water frothy and not good for a body surf. Forecast not spot on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice there Chris, trags are good eating, will keep you going with a few feeds. Also a nice reddie and flattie.

Had a swim at Eloura Beach around midday, wind was down, water rather cool, but a few of the waves were above the heads of the board riders, and dumping at that size. Water frothy and not good for a body surf. Forecast not spot on.

Thanks Dave, we had to search around a bit to try and find them. With 3 of us using hand held radios, makes it a lot easier. Once one of us gets on, we call up each other. They sit in a school, so it’s a matter of just drifting over that spot a few times.

13 hours ago, Hoods said:

Thanks for the report. Those Trag are perfect size for the oven.

Thanks hoods! Largest was 50cm - not wrong, good size for the oven.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff again Larkin, smashing the trags as usual.

Well done

Thanks Isaac - they’re just too good on the plate!

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

My crystal ball is showing some lovely fish meals at your place Larkin. A good day out for all of you, well done.

bn

Thanks Neil, a few meals to come from those. My wife and kids are quite specific as to what I’m to bring home lol. Flathead and trags 

2 hours ago, noelm said:

It’s kind of funny how Trag feel all soft, yet when cooked are quite firm and tasty.

Yeah, they feel really soft and squishy when caught. Such an easy fish to process too. Very easy to fillet, skin, and scaling is effortless.

10 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yup. Great work Chris. I second the vote on the trags  .. you’ll enjoy them. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran 👍

One of my favourite fish to eat!

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

Well caught!

thanks Bessel - finding them took a couple of hours, then was a matter of drifting over the spot a few times.

41 minutes ago, kantong said:

a great mixed bag there, well done mate.

Thanks Kantong!  3 of my favourites.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Larkin said:

Gday raiders, headed out for a fish today up towards Coogee. Water depth around the 60m mark.
Two mates also came out on their jetski’s. Water was sloppy and a bit of wind early on - not the calm they were predicting. It did turn out nice, but not until after 11am.

I managed a couple of small snapper - one right on legal that went back in, kept one that was larger. Drifted off the reef for a decent flatty, then found a school of trag. One of my mates got 4, I managed to get 3. Ended up with a mixed bag. One trag caught on livebait, all other fish caught on salted bonito strip baits.

NICE FEED WELL DONE 

On 5/8/2023 at 5:57 PM, xerotao said:

How did you go? We ended up with 2 fish on saturday night

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:41 AM, Rebel said:

Top haul.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel 👍

On 7/28/2023 at 12:36 PM, HOOLIGAN2 said:

NICE FEED WELL DONE 

Thanks Hooligan! Happy with the variety lol

On 7/28/2023 at 6:49 PM, big Neil said:

It's good when you can go out and catch something which is top of the family list Larkin. bn

kids can be fussy - but got them all eating fish. Anything that tastes fishy they don’t like

On 7/28/2023 at 8:49 PM, jenno64 said:

Top mixed bag Chris!

Youll keep the family happy with those fillets!

Thanks Rob!

Wife’s not always happy with the mess I make! Been banished to the backyard. Have to admit - she was right, it’s much better cleaning fish out there. No cleaning up - just blast everything with the garden hose when finished.

IMG_2418.thumb.jpeg.19c7d83902d8841eb8c85724a5da3e2e.jpeg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Wife’s not always happy with the mess I make! Been banished to the backyard. Have to admit - she was right, it’s much better cleaning fish out there. No cleaning up - just blast everything with the garden hose when finished.

Yup. When i showed Maria the pictures of your many catches on the kitchen bench…she had a certain reaction 😱… and I was wondering how long you would get away with it. 🤣

Welcome to our outdoor world 😂

cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Have to admit - she was right, it’s much better cleaning fish out there. No cleaning up - just blast everything with the garden hose when finished.

Great catch Chris. I love your outdoor cleaning table, with sink and all! You sure catch enough fish to justify the investment.

10 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yup. When i showed Maria the pictures of your many catches on the kitchen bench…she had a certain reaction… and I was wondering how long you would get away with it. 🤣

cheers Zoran

On that note, I think Maria's "Who's right? Yes, your wife is right." snippet from your last video is totally applicable to Chris' situation as well 🤣

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

On that note, I think Maria's "Who's right? Yes, your wife is right." snippet from your last video is totally applicable to Chris' situation as well 🤣

Happy wife Happy life 🤣

Its a basic survival skill I learned a long time ago. 
cheers Z

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yup. When i showed Maria the pictures of your many catches on the kitchen bench…she had a certain reaction 😱… and I was wondering how long you would get away with it. 🤣

cheers Zoran

Haha - yes mate, we’re all in the same boat lol

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great catch Chris. I love your outdoor cleaning table, with sink and all! You sure catch enough fish to justify the investment.

Thanks Mike, the cleaning table cost me $120 new and came with the tap, hose and waste. Attaches to the garden hose and folds up when done. 

• Like 3

I used to have a fantastic setup, a big stainless “bench” with a kind of sink built in, with a big drain with a sort of strainer over it, so fillets can’t go down, it turns out I think it was a butchers table for making mince? Anyway, I had a ply cutting board one end the fillet on, a big bucket under the drain with a chip shop “basket” to catch guts and scales, a ready supply of salt water if I needed it (live on the ocean) all in the shade, with a couple of seats for “spectators” and a nice icebox/esky I made to keep fish/drinks/ice in. Sadly I remodeled the yard and got rid of it, worst thing I ever did.

edit……these days I just clean fish at the ramp cleaning facilities, then bring them home in the esky on ice, and I have a fridge near the boat, I live a couple of minutes from the ramp, so when I feel like (next morning) I just go back and fillet anything I want, no more mess at home at all!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

I used to have a fantastic setup, a big stainless “bench” with a kind of sink built in, with a big drain with a sort of strainer over it, so fillets can’t go down, it turns out I think it was a butchers table for making mince? Anyway, I had a ply cutting board one end the fillet on, a big bucket under the drain with a chip shop “basket” to catch guts and scales, a ready supply of salt water if I needed it (live on the ocean) all in the shade, with a couple of seats for “spectators” and a nice icebox/esky I made to keep fish/drinks/ice in. Sadly I remodeled the yard and got rid of it, worst thing I ever did.

edit……these days I just clean fish at the ramp cleaning facilities, then bring them home in the esky on ice, and I have a fridge near the boat, I live a couple of minutes from the ramp, so when I feel like (next morning) I just go back and fillet anything I want, no more mess at home at all!

That outdoor fillet station sounded great - hard to find something like that these days unless you have it custom made. 
Your lucky to have  cleaning facilities at your local! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 7:28 PM, Larkin said:

Haven’t caught trag in years, nice to see them of Sydney