Boat ramp anxiety

riveRecon

I mostly boat alone. My boat is easy to handle on my own. I’ve noticed in myself that one of the reasons I don’t go boating so much is boat ramp anxiety. Packed ramps and parking, along with people in a hurry or impatient with others. On top of that, worrying that I’ll stuff up the launch and embarrass myself or frustrate others further. If I have to park my car some distance, I worry things might get stolen while I park. I’ve started to use some checklists that I keep in the Deckee app to try and relieve some of this anxiety. Apart from therapy 🤣, I’m starting to think I might need a boating buddy.

Does anyone have anymore tips please? Be nice 😊. Thanks.

my checklists:

Regularly at home::: safety gear checklist, Engine oil level,  Emergency torch, Boat draining rain, Batteries charged, Tire pressures, Rust points - winch/springs/brake cable/terminals/plugs/motor, brake tension, sounder works/upgrades 

1. Hitch up for towing::: Tow Ball lock on, check trailer lights, safety chains on, trailer handbrake/brake lock off, hitch lock down, scuppers open, motor up & chocked, tyre chain off, prop flag on, all items secure, enough fuel for 3rds rule.

2. Pre Launch::: check wheel hub heat, bungs in, scuppers closed, tie downs off, motor choc out, boat chain off, launch rope on and secured to trailer, winch handle ready, engine neutral, key & lanyard in, sounder down, battery on, life jacket on & inflation toggle out, safety ladder in position.

3. Launch::: Winch hook off, LAUNCH.

Edited by riveRecon
  • Like 5

Boat ramps are getting busier by the day, lack of parking is always a problem, as far as launching, just do it, don’t rush past your comfort level, as long as you’re not rigging up on the ramp, you have every right to launch at your pace.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, riveRecon said:

I mostly boat alone. My boat is easy to handle on my own. I’ve noticed in myself that one of the reasons I don’t go boating so much is boat ramp anxiety. Packed ramps and parking, along with people in a hurry or impatient with others. On top of that, worrying that I’ll stuff up the launch and embarrass myself or frustrate others further. If I have to park my car some distance, I worry things might get stolen while I park. I’ve started to use some checklists that I keep in the Deckee app to try and relieve some of this anxiety. Apart from therapy 🤣, I’m starting to think I might need a boating buddy.

Does anyone have anymore tips please? Be nice 😊. Thanks.

my checklists:

1. Hitch up for towing::: Tow Ball lock on, check trailer lights, safety chains on, trailer handbrake/brake lock off, hitch lock down, scuppers open, motor up & chocked, tyre chain off, prop flag on, all items secure, enough fuel for 3rds rule.

2. Pre Launch::: bungs in, scuppers closed, tie downs off, motor starts (quick on/off), motor choc out, boat chain off, launch rope on and secured to trailer, winch handle ready, engine neutral, key & lanyard in, sounder down, battery on, life jacket on & inflation toggle out, safety ladder in position.

3. Launch::: Winch hook off, LAUNCH.

Two or more people on a boat is always good for the theft reasons you mention plus the safety side of things.(You have a heart attack, end up in the drink or something on a boat alone might not end well).

Surely you can find someone keen to go out living in Noosa.

As for Ramps getting busy and imbeciles breeding like cockroaches it’s only getting worse.

As for launching/retrieval Wait your turn (I know you do) and just get on with it without rushing or over looking anything.If anyone says anything tell them they’re welcome to come and help and smile.

• Like 5

We are all in the same boat mate ... pardon the pun. Ramps are getting busier and will continue to get so.

Launching/retrieving is always one of the harder boating activities (thats why we have boat ramp vultures) and doing it solo presents additional unique challenges. We put a lot of time and $ into our rig ... so leaving it alone at the ramp while you park or get the trailer is always going to be a concern. There's no way around it but to get a fishing buddy to stay with the rig... or better still that can manage the rig or the trailer/car. 

Never rush at the boat ramp ... have your list and work through it. I find that I am best when I work through my list in a methodical order - and in the same order each time - so it becomes a routine - like muscle memory. Less mistakes happen doing it the same order and same way each time. ... and you'll look like a calm pro ... rather then a headless chook newbie.  Fewer people bother pros.

3 hours ago, riveRecon said:

motor starts (quick on/off)

I did note that you start your motor before you launch. I would highly recommend that you do not do that especially if the lower leg is dry. An engine idles around 600rpm, at start it revs a lot higher. No matter how quick you are, you'll get a few hundred revs ... and that means a lot of rubbing of the dry rubber impellers against the the water pump walls. It will shorten the life of your water pump.

Apart from that chill ... be the pro that you are.

Tight lines.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

I wondered about the start/stop before launching. The dealer said it was OK to do before I launch to make sure it starts. I’ve always been a little uncomfortable with it. Thanks for the other tips everyone, looks like a boating buddy is in order. Now to find one 🤔. I’m a convenience fisher and primarily love exploring and camping, seemingly making it a little more difficult to find a buddy…

I have always been worried about some mongrel knocking off my rods while I either park or go get the car so I leave my rods and tackle bag in the car and carry them to the boat when launching or back to the car when retrieving. Only tip I can add is if your winch handle is a removable type ( like on a multi speed winch ) keep a spare in the car as it is so easy to forget to take the handle off and it can either fall off when parking the trailer or some mongrel steals it , happend to me and I was lucky my wheel brace fitted the hex drive as I had no other way of winching the boat up the trailer ! I never start my motor unless it is in the water or hooked up to the flusher - kills water pumps real quick ! If I haven’t used the boat for a while - like a few months or more I will hook it up to the flusher and start it before it leaves home , better to find out something is wrong while at home rather than at the ramp ! Had a guy on a jet ski come up to me once and ask if I could lend him a screwdriver - no probs I said and handed one over and he came back a few minutes later with a disappointed look on his face ,he had towed his JetSki up to Brooklyn from Penrith but left the remote for the alarm at home and it won’t start without it and he can’t  bypass it -made my day that did :074:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Zorans tip about doing things yourself, in a methodical order is right on! I find if someone “helps” is when things go pear shaped, only a month or so ago I was going out in the tinny, my mate insisted on doing things (good intentions) but, it broke my routine and I forgot the bung, a “rookie” mistake, and I realised straight away, but, it just goes to show how being put off can cause you grief.

• Like 1

As somebody who has only been boating for about 3 years, I understand your anxiety (if that's the right word).  So here's another 5c...

1. You have every right to be there.  Not rushing is just fine.  Anybody who takes exception is just being a d!ck, and this prolly won't happen...people can see when you are working at doing things right.  There's a big difference between not rushing and being "that guy".  If you're launching and retrieving solo, people will cut you some slack.

2. Pre-preparation...   Instead of a lock on the trailer wheel, consider using a tow hitch lock, because that you can't forget that.  Put the bung/s in the night before.  And then check, re-check and double check.  Again.

3. I have only ever had winches with permanently attached handles, but you could consider adding a wrist strap to your winch handle, so that you can't forget it (as log as you remember to use the wrist strap).

4. As others have said, avoid starting the motor dry.  If the battery has enough juice to raise the motor, it prolly has enough juice to start the motor.

5. I keep a plastic tub in the garage with all my on-boat stuff.  It always has the boat key, at least one life jacket (which is the reminder to take other PFD's if I will have company on the boat), sounder plus other odds and ends that I don't want to keep on the boat.  Before leaving home, I check that I can see the key and proper number of PFD's on the boat.

6. If you are worried about theft, stow stuff as un-obviously as possible.  I use a cleated shock cord to attach my rods to my boat.  It's hardly theft proof but it will make it impossible for somebody to casually remove a rod as they walk past.

7. Make as much stuff as routine as possible, so that your steps become, well, routine.

Don't over think this.  We do it for fun.  One of my very favourite things is the few quiet-ish minutes after setting off from the jetty in the early dawn, with a day full of promise.  Balm for the soul!

Atiila allegedly said "Every Hun has a purpose, even if that purpose is to show the other huns what not to do."  Don't be one of the other huns, but you could always take a folding chair and some snacks and go down to the boat ramp for a morning and be entertained, and also educated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Zorans tip about doing things yourself, in a methodical order is right on! I find if someone “helps” is when things go pear shaped, only a month or so ago I was going out in the tinny, my mate insisted on doing things (good intentions) but, it broke my routine and I forgot the bung, a “rookie” mistake, and I realised straight away, but, it just goes to show how being put off can cause you grief.

Absolutely! Help from a regular fishing buddy is great when both know the routine and do their part.  Help from an occasional fishing buddy is best kept in check.  

Take your time and go through the procedure and you will have less problems and quicker than most people anyway.  Arrive outside of peak times if boating solo, don't remove the safety chain until trailer and boat is in the water, I carry a spare winch handle, and a set of bung plugs in the boat.   I also carry a basic first aid kit and side cutters strong enough to cut a hook if necessary, 

• Like 2

Mate it sounds like you’re doing everything fine (dont start motor dry) i dont like it when someone tries to drive my boat when I’m getting the trailer ad most of the people i take out cant drve it properly its one thing in open water but a busy spot is not the placr to realise boats dont drive like cars at slow speeds.i am also worried about and dickheads  and theives but not much you can do (99% im by myself) .I’ve even had a guy take a chunk out of the hull when hr reversed his boat into mine when i was tiedup and fetching the car anyway be preparing and try to be quick but dont let anyone ruin your day its meant to be fun

• Like 1

Even though my mate who I have been fishing and boating with for over 40yrs knows how to drive and launch my boat as do  I his we still do 99% of the work on our own boats ourselves as I know he has his own way as do I . I might help to take the strap off the boat or remove the transom saver etc when launching and I will check the bung as well but he is not relying on me to do it . When it comes to retrieving and fitting the straps we have found it is quicker if the owner does it all , I may get the strap or transom saver out of the car but he fits it all . I for instance always fit the strap with the ratchet on the passenger side so it keeps the work to be done away from any oncoming traffic ( if you’re a truck driver you will understand why ) and minimising the time spent on the driver side . I don’t use a checklist , I do as much as possible to minimise the work I have to do at the ramp and I detest people that reverse down the ramp and then decide to take the straps off then fumble around trying to find the bungs and fit them ( I fit mine at home ) and then half launch the boat only to find the battery is dead  and they can’t start the motor - but they just have to try twenty times while they block the ramp !

Now how many here do one of the most important things when they first pull up at the ramp - feel the temperature of the wheel hubs ? A hub that is significantly hotter than the tyre is an indication of bearing problems and I do the same when I get home .

• Like 5

Hi

I normally at the ramp early enough where its not a big issue. Anytime after 9am, i think is asking for a stressful start. I usually am by myself

but even if I'm not, the only thing I ask my deck crew do is hold the rope when i launch and take the boat and tie up. I explain that I have a system

and as much as they want to help, its better for me if I do my thing. Seems to work out ok. Same with coming back. I go get the trailer and they might walk the boat down.

I've not yet tried doing a drive on. My mate does, and for him, all I do is hook the boat on then drive the trailer back up the ramp.

• Like 3

Not advice sorry  (all the other comments have been so useful and spot on) but just a comment on boat ramps and etiquette...or lack of it mostly which probabaly adds to your anxiety too.

Just can't believe these days the amount of inconsiderate morons at boat ramps that don't give a rats about anyone else apart from themselves and their desire to get into the water at any cost and in front of others just so they can tear up and down the waterways. Most of the time they wait till on the ramp and then hold everyone else up cos they haven't done an preparation before backing down the ramp......grrrr

Sorry for my vent, but its so frustrating ☹️ 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, riveRecon said:

I wondered about the start/stop before launching. The dealer said it was OK to do before I launch to make sure it starts. I’ve always been a little uncomfortable with it. Thanks for the other tips everyone, looks like a boating buddy is in order. Now to find one 🤔. I’m a convenience fisher and primarily love exploring and camping, seemingly making it a little more difficult to find a buddy…

How about amending your checklist a little to accommodate zmk1962 comment re dry starting your motor? He makes a good point. Do a start with the "ears" on at a time convenient to your planned trip. Definitely keep searching for a buddy to share the experience. TIP:  the people most likely to fit into your "convenience fisher" planning are retirees. They have lots of flexibility timewise and often plenty of knowledge about boating and fishing.

All the advice given is very relevant and will go a long way toward alleviating your concerns. Alas, consideration for others is on the wane and will most likely only get worse. Good luck.  bn

• Like 2

When I had a boat. I used to launch at Baywiew. It had a a twin ramp,which was great except for the idiots who drove down the middle & took up the whole ramp.

I had enough. Joined the local yacht club who had their own ramp.

Life was so much easier.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've launched a few times at Bayview. It is a nice boat launch facility. Sheltered with well maintained ramps and pontoons. Good parking. There is a fee to use the ramp or park in there - around $22 from memory. It's just a major PITA to get to from my place in the Hills towing a large rig. 

Cheers Z

16 hours ago, Welster said:

I also carry a basic first aid kit and side cutters strong enough to cut a hook if necessary, 

Hahaha ... 🧐 ... yes yes yes .... I second that. It does speed up extraction so that you can return to fishing sooner.

Cheers Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In regards to impellers even when your outboard leg is in the water it will run dry until the water reaches it a few seconds after cranking/ firing up.

But running them out of water for even a few seconds is a mugs game mate and should never be done if you ask me.

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 1

Awesome tips, thank you 😊. I also don’t feel so bad now as I see many others have similar feelings about the topic. I’ve edited the at home, towing, and pre launch checklists on the original post from all the feedback. Many thanks again 😀

35 minutes ago, riveRecon said:

Sounds like is all I need in a boating buddy is one of these 🤣 image.jpeg.bcfa02e581a54f62de7972b1e2a394f6.jpeg

Hahaha .. I guess that would work.

Mine is about 5ft with a mass of curly hair... goes by the nickname "havachat" ... by the time we launch she is friends with half the ramp 😂 ... works as well.

Cheers Zoran

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Hahaha .. I guess that would work.

Mine is about 5ft with a mass of curly hair... goes by the nickname "havachat" ... by the time we launch she is friends with half the ramp 😂 ... works as well.

Cheers Zoran

Ur secret boat ramp weapon Zoran...Maria?    bn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1