Pickles and Big Neil target Jewies.

Pickles

@big Neil was keen to catch some Mulloway and take some premium fish fillets back to the Riverina. The plan was that he come up to stay for a week and we’d go out each day and get stuck into some serious fishing. The weather however, didn’t fulfil our expectations and although we got out, the huge tides and intense wind, put a damper on our expeditions and we only managed to get out twice - but both times we caught jewfish - but none legal 😧.

Bait: Squid and fresh Hawkesbury prawns.

Rig: 7’ light action rods, 2500-5000 reels with 30lb braid and 12-20lb trace leaders.

Catch: 11 Jewfish in total over the 2 days.

Great camaraderie and terrific to catch up with the legend, but disappointing results.

IMG_1930.jpeg

Resized_20231030_132557(1).jpeg

Resized_20231030_132606(1).jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

• Like 19

Hey Bob. Thanks for making a massive effort to get the esky filled so that I could, once again, savour the taste of beautiful fresh fish. Alas, the best laid plans couldn't entice the 70cm plus one into the boat. Probably that one that I lost would have filled the criteria, we'll never know. Such beautiful looking fish those Jewies.

After a nice pub meal with the daughter in Orange, and a bit of kip, I hit the road home at first light. South of Forbes the inevitable happened. I saw the stone hurtling toward me, courtesy of an approaching B double, and in the blink of an eye, the new COW has a star crack in the windscreen. Heading off to Narrandera this morning to see if it can be fixed.

As always great to catch up, hi to Steve and Julie. 

Only another 28 days till Cod season opens for me...can't wait. At Bowls on Wednesday arvo one of the local "I don't worry about closed season" brigade announced yet another wonderful result with him and his son boating 28 Cod over 2 days. All by-catch (apparently) from 2 days of lure fishing. These clowns will never learn the importance of adhering to the rules. The worst thing is that there are very few anglers, in this region, who actually do the right thing. Maybe the Authorities need to put a total ban on fishing during the Cod breeding season.

Glad that your injuries are healing up well. Good luck with the Summer fishing, hope that it improves for you. Pretty sure it will and I'm confident that you will be taking every opportunity to refill the freezer again.

I will look forward to reading your posts till we catch up again.

Cheers, bn

• Like 8

Shame the jewies were not up to size, however, any jewies are a welcome catch. They will be bigger next time.

b.n., the hazards of country driving. I bought a repair kit for the last windscreen star crack, still holding up after 3 or 4 years.

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Good to see you getting out with Bob. 
That wasn’t a bad effort for two days!

TIP get replacement windscreen coverage in your insurance policy. 
We have used it several times towing a van around the country :) 

Other than that how did the car perform for you? Bet you love it now! 

Always good to catch up with any Raiders Donna. All helpful, full of knowledge and passion for the sport. So looking forward to bringing home some fresh fish...no such thing where I live. At best it would be 4 days old. I seldom kill Murray Cod cos they are such magnificent creatures.

I have the windscreen replacement cover along with hire car, towing, and accommodation factored into my insurance. I even got a full-size spare mag wheel and tyre as the cow has a space-saver spare. The cow was great to drive, with plenty of acceleration to get around all the trucks and caravans. Every day feels like a victory as I work out how something else works. The party has just begun.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Shame the jewies were not up to size, however, any jewies are a welcome catch. They will be bigger next time.

b.n., the hazards of country driving. I bought a repair kit for the last windscreen star crack, still holding up after 3 or 4 years.

Can you give me some details of the kit please Dave?  bn

Great post. Buggar about the weather though you two but a trip away  and catching up with some mates is a worthy reward.

As Donna said, get windscreen replacement on you car insurance as “ Cows” windscreens are expensive these days because of the “Cow” stuff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Can you give me some details of the kit please Dave?  bn

Try one of the do-it-yourself  windscreen repair kits - Repco, Autobarn, Bursons, Super Cheap Auto - sell them for around the $20 - $30 mark. Make sure the windscreen is clean (wash out dirt if some in the crack) allow to dry, remove any loose flakes of glass in the crack, then follow the instructions provided.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2023 at 5:14 AM, big Neil said:

Hey Bob. Thanks for making a massive effort to get the esky filled so that I could, once again, savour the taste of beautiful fresh fish. Alas, the best laid plans couldn't entice the 70cm plus one into the boat. Probably that one that I lost would have filled the criteria, we'll never know. Such beautiful looking fish those Jewies.

After a nice pub meal with the daughter in Orange, and a bit of kip, I hit the road home at first light. South of Forbes the inevitable happened. I saw the stone hurtling toward me, courtesy of an approaching B double, and in the blink of an eye, the new COW has a star crack in the windscreen. Heading off to Narrandera this morning to see if it can be fixed.

As always great to catch up, hi to Steve and Julie. 

Only another 28 days till Cod season opens for me...can't wait. At Bowls on Wednesday arvo one of the local "I don't worry about closed season" brigade announced yet another wonderful result with him and his son boating 28 Cod over 2 days. All by-catch (apparently) from 2 days of lure fishing. These clowns will never learn the importance of adhering to the rules. The worst thing is that there are very few anglers, in this region, who actually do the right thing. Maybe the Authorities need to put a total ban on fishing during the Cod breeding season.

Glad that your injuries are healing up well. Good luck with the Summer fishing, hope that it improves for you. Pretty sure it will and I'm confident that you will be taking every opportunity to refill the freezer again.

I will look forward to reading your posts till we catch up again.

Cheers, bn

Oh no - new cow and the headlights punched out - hope the insurance on windscreen doesn’t have an excess? You’re probably home by now - let me know when you’re headed back again and hopefully conditions will be better. 

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Oh no - new cow and the headlights punched out - hope the insurance on windscreen doesn’t have an excess? You’re probably home by now - let me know when you’re headed back again and hopefully conditions will be better. 

No excess to pay for the new windscreen. No straightforward job changing windscreens these days. The windscreen has a camera that helps with the "staying in lane" capability of the COW. AAMI have their windscreen repair/replacement arranged with Windscreens O'Brien but the nearest is 150 kms away so I've arranged for my usual guy to come from Narrandera to replace it. May cost me a little but better than wasting a day in Wagga Wagga.

I'll look forward to catching up again Bob and in the meantime, we can read each others' reports.

Cheers, bn

12 hours ago, Larkin said:

Looks like you two had a good couple of days out on the water! 👍

You ever try putting out a large live mullet? To weed out the smaller Jews.

We spent some time trying to get livies but were unsuccessful...not a single one. The decision made to use the squid and local prawns possibly determined the catch of smaller Jewies.  We did hook something worthwhile but my inexperience caused it to escape.

I'll let Bob answer the question about Mullet (specifically) as he usually berleys up Yakkas.

bn