Long day on the 'Bidgee with visitors from Victoria

A couple of visitors from down South were visiting mate Luke for the weekend. We met up and headed to the river to fish an area we hadn't fished for a while, arriving just on dawn. Luke and I in one boat and the visitors in their ideal river boat. A beautiful set up with everything needed for chasing down native species. These guys (Ian and Mark) didn't need any help other than guiding them to the right area to do their stuff. 

I started off with surface lure and Luke with his trusty "Bardi Grub" lure. Not long after I get a strong boof on my surface lure, but the Cod failed to connect. Several casts back in the same region and it was clear that the Cod had no intention of making the same mistake, so Luke chucked his trusty lure in and the fish obliged.

P1020285.thumb.JPG.4cafa8f4de7b1bc714d01aac8929bc3b.JPG

Conditions were ideal with a moderate flow and plenty of water to navigate the numerous stumps. Once the sun appeared over the treetops I started using my trusty red/black spinnerbait and hooked this nice Yella right next to the boat.

P1020286-Copy.thumb.JPG.9a8d1543009305b5929fc8d58c790abc.JPG

Luke was next to hook up to a nice Cod going 67cms...

P1020295.thumb.JPG.3b7e83a2e69df5c9246be971d7877feb.JPG

...and I got another Yella on a deep diving lure, again, right next to the boat.

P1020288-Copy.thumb.JPG.5412ccade49ce700eca9c1b19d45a3c6.JPG

We moved from place to place chucking lures into the snags and got a few more Cod

P1020292.thumb.JPG.69686601d1943e43c5bcd33c3da75c6e.JPG

P1020293.thumb.JPG.068c18885580119317c9469224fff983.JPG

The Cod continued to play ball and we worked diligently to get a few more on board. The sun was starting to make its presence felt so we took time out to find some shade and a spot of bait fishing with cheese for bait. Probably got about 8 more Cod and a few good ones among them, including this mid 60s model

P1020296.thumb.JPG.252e0b306c7f318cc46e8341b3ee14d2.JPG

...and this chunky fella

P1020294.thumb.JPG.182ff85018377b6c2a5f2d2eee9c1f24.JPG

One of the "shady spots"...

P1020290-Copyresized.thumb.jpg.2798497b18f5f7d1d2695daeb88fb055.jpg

So that's how we went, but the visitors weren't outdone as they trolled lures slowly up their selected sections, preferring this to chucking lures into the snags. They too got among the mid 60s model Cod but got no Yellas.

All up the 2 boats and 4 anglers fished for 10 hrs each for a total of about 20+ fish. Doesn't sound like a lot but in terms of Cod/Yella fishing this was a good result

Thanks for reading,

bn

• Like 20

8 hours ago, XD351 said:

Nice fish and a great report BN!

I never got around to fishing any of the big freshwater rivers.

It's a worthwhile experience that everyone should try to have if they can. One of the great things about fishing is the learning curve required to catch all the different species that location provides. We are blessed to have plenty of variety here in Australia. Let me know if you ever wish to give freshwater river fishing a go...it's different.

bn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, frankS said:

Sounds like a pretty good day\s fishing to me although I don't know about doing 10 hours straight these days.

Frank

I know what you mean Frank. Very little relief from the baking sun whilst on the river so I didn't need rocking to sleep. Quite knackered...time for another sleep. Cheers mate. bn

11 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Nice work BN, that looks like a good session mate and I'm pleased you got out and got a few.

Its still very hit and miss here, few fish around but you definitely work for them.

Yep. I went out for a bait fishing session yesterday and scored a few Cod and a Trout Cod but nothing close to legal size. I did manage to lose a truck load of terminal tackle. The river is absolutely full of snags at present.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

That is a good catch of fish in a day, and some nice ones amongst them b.n.

Plenty of water flowing in the photos. Great work.

Did you keep any for a feed, or all released?

Edited by Yowie

On 3/10/2024 at 1:12 AM, big Neil said:

10 hrs each for a total of about 20+ fish. Doesn't sound like a lot but in terms of Cod/Yella fishing this was a good result

... sounds like an excellent result to me for any type of fishing BN ... well done. 

Beautiful pictures mate. I don't do much freshwater fishing but love the scenery.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

... sounds like an excellent result to me for any type of fishing BN ... well done. 

Beautiful pictures mate. I don't do much freshwater fishing but love the scenery.

Cheers Zoran

Many thanks Zoran. The scenery is somewhat unique on the inland rivers. I have to say that I love it. We are fortunate (in Australia) to have so many diverse types of fishing to get into. I have been fortunate to have done quite a lot of different types. Hopefully catching a Mahi Mahi may eventuate some day. I have the opportunity to try it with Pickles but haven't been able to slot it in this Summer. Still many species on the bucket list but as long as I'm able to spend a bit of time fishing the Murrumbidgee, I should be able to maintain my sanity.

Here are a few pics from the Murrumbidgee River that you may enjoy. Cheers, bn

P1020146.thumb.JPG.cd866724e3f23d63c2f274634cc97208.JPG

P1020145.thumb.JPG.7f8684b11c4ec8ab83d0008baa348fd3.JPG

P1020143.thumb.JPG.d09bc90543a312bb4d80475cc68965d0.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

That is a good catch of fish in a day, and some nice ones amongst them b.n.

Plenty of water flowing in the photos. Great work.

Did you keep any for a feed, or all released?

No Yowie. I have taken a few at times but they are such an iconic fish that I let them go to do their thing. When I have taken one for the table, they are very good to eat. Yellowbelly are the ones I usually take for the table.   bn

• Like 1

Maaate you keep releasing fish. Good Friday coning up! Do you still have some Mahi Mahi left!!?? At least your fish are not "taxed" at 100% as they are up here! 6 good runs rersulting in shark taxes!! The mahi mahi does not much help - just grill it.

9 hours ago, Hoods said:

Maaate you keep releasing fish. Good Friday coning up! Do you still have some Mahi Mahi left!!?? At least your fish are not "taxed" at 100% as they are up here! 6 good runs rersulting in shark taxes!! The mahi mahi does not much help - just grill it.

None left. Absolutely delicious. Had any chance to get out fishing yourself? I may sneak out for a fish this week and could be tempted to keep one. We'll see

.bn