Daughter and grandchild visiting for Easter.

I had a visit from fishing mad grandchild and his Mum...also a keen angler who had never caught a Murray Cod.

We headed off to the 'Bidgee at Narrandera with the boat... armed with cheese, worms, cocktail franks, chicken breast, and a few shrimps. Daughter Debbie had (apparently) never caught a Murray Cod, James had caught a few small ones in the Macquarie River. I tackled everybody up and we set about seeing which of the baits would work. 

James caught a very small Cod on worms and I followed by getting an almost legal Cod on the cocktail franks. Debbie was next to score and after 4 hrs of fishing she got 2 nice Cod on the cocktail franks. That put her in the lead and she was rubbing it in that the boys couldn't catch as many fish as she did. Alas, that was true UNTIL James's rod doubled over. He confidently brought the Cod to the boat where I had the waiting net. 62cms of very healthy Murray Cod hit the deck. Debbie managed to capture the excitement on her phone...see video below

The score card for the day read James 2, Debbie 2, bn 1. I'm not going to live this one down for a while.

So that was today's outing. Tomorrow James and I will head off for another episode...report to follow. Thanks for reading this report.

bn

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Love it. Of course the host always steps back and lets the guests achieve their goals 😉😉😉

Best wishes for tomorrow’s session BN. 
cheers Zoran 

• Thanks 1

All that time finding Bardigrubs with shovel and cable back in the 70s and now I find out that Cocktail franks make good bait!  Good luck putting James onto a bigger one today.

• Thanks 1

You were the head guide Neil so it would be expected that you wouldn’t out fish the guests.

Your  a kind and thoughtful man, sounds like a great fun family day.

• Thanks 1

ROUND TWO.  Over 4 hours on the river for James and I today, and not a sausage. Not even a nibble on the franks, except for the odd couple I had while James wasn't looking.

Not much of a report but a report, none the less.

Cheers people, bn

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good work there b.n., a few nice fish for the outing. The young bloke is happy.

Had you not caught anything, there was plenty to cook up - cocktail franks, chicken, cheese, shrimps  🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I guess that's fishing BN ! .... Out of curiosity,  did you take the franks in one bite ... or exercise a more cautious technique ? 😁

Cheers Z

Cautious of course, I'm not uncouth LOL bn

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 6:56 AM, Steve0 said:

All that time finding Bardigrubs with shovel and cable back in the 70s and now I find out that Cocktail franks make good bait!  Good luck putting James onto a bigger one today.

Still the best bait by a country mile are the Bardi Grubs. Alas, I can't get them any more as my knees are wrecked. Dim sims are the latest fad with some very nice Cod being caught on them. What next?

bn

Well done Neil, a great way to spend time with the fam’. Young bloke will have lots to remember (outfishing granddad). Pity day 2 wasn’t as successful, good thing about dim sims is if you don’t catch fish, at least you can eat them, although bardi grubs taste better - had them several times when the mob get together,  but prefer roasted to raw).

love your pics mate 👏👏.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Neil - I suspect you only picking up 1 fish on the first day  would be due to you being busy keeping James and Debbie sorted and fishing!!

At least with cocktail franks, it would be one of the best options if you needed to snack on the bait.

I have vivid memories of fishing in Kiritimati many years ago and watching our guide pick up and start nibbling on a tuna frame that had been lying on the gunnel in the sun for a few hours!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Well done Neil - I suspect you only picking up 1 fish on the first day  would be due to you being busy keeping James and Debbie sorted and fishing!!

At least with cocktail franks, it would be one of the best options if you needed to snack on the bait.

I have vivid memories of fishing in Kiritimati many years ago and watching our guide pick up and start nibbling on a tuna frame that had been lying on the gunnel in the sun for a few hours!!

Gee wizz. I'm not that keen to be chomping on an old Tuna frame. I'll stick with the Franks and a piece of cheese now and then.

Cheers, bn

• Haha 2