3 mates, a boat and some firsts

My mate Mat and I have been made redundant and have decided to take a sabbatical. We have a keen fishing buddy, Mark, with a boat and a job which allows him to take days off mid-week. With the brilliant offshore weather forecast for yesterday we decided to head out. The first question was kings or tuna. As the tuna reports are sporadic and they can be a hard slog we were more keen on kings. The destination is still an hour out but it was where I caught my first meter plus king as per this report: https://community.deckee.com/topic/87437-central-coast-kingfish/

We met at the boat ramp and the process at this point has become a well oiled machine. Bung, remove tie-down straps, load gear and ice on boat, me driving the trailer down while Mat is safety watch and Mark is on the boat. Once I parked the car and trailer we took off to the bait grounds. I was surprised to see a couple of box jellyfish in the water – yes we do get these in Sydney but they are far less dangerous than their northern cousins. They are called jimbles and for further reading see: https://australian.museum/learn/animals/jellyfish/jimble/ There was the usual boy’s banter as we fished west head for the yellowtail we were going to use later. We were getting a lot of small yakkas but in the end we had a nice range of sizes and some slimy mackerel and a couple of sweep.

On the way out the swell was down so we were able to maintain a good speed to the location. We saw a few whales on the way out. When we arrived there were two boats out there. On one the boys were jigging the water column and I was impressed that they kept it up for most of their time out there. They’d had a few kings already so that was a good sign. From past experience we have found the kings to be finicky as to what was working on the day – as such we mix it up when we get there to see what was effective. Mark and Mat sent down the live baits and I started jigging a 200gram jig on my Terez rod with Torium reel and 550m of 50lb braid. It is a nice outfit to use and seems less tiring than the spinning outfit I also use for jigging. The coloured braid makes it easy to work different depths based on what the fishfinder is showing. Mat and Mark started pulling up fish, a nannygai and some snapper so I switched to my next rod which was a N-S Amped s-52 jigging rod (light and skinny but dang I can put some pressure on good fish) with a Twinpower 10000 reel and 80lb braid. I started to get some snapper in the 40cm to 60cm range. While fishing I heard a big splash and then turned to see some blueish scales floating under water. This had me really puzzled as the splash was too small for a dolphin and we hadn’t seen any. Mat then hooks into the first king of the day but at bang on 65cm we were concerned about shrinkage in the ice and falling foul of the fishing authorities so it was released. I started seeing some more splashes on the surface and had some suspicions so I set up my third rod – an N-S Amped Offshore S-762XXXH matched today with a Daiwa BG5000 reel and 300m of 50lb jigging braid. On this I had a Shimano flasher floating stickbait which I bought for chasing tuna but hadn’t christened yet. A little while later the sea surface started to go wild with hundreds of fish feeding – kingfish and some big ones at that. The were just on casting distance so I sent the stick bait out and watched the kings following and swiping at the lure. A couple of casts later I had my first solid hook up. As we were fishing in over 130m of water I was very unlikely to lose this fish and took my time. There were several good runs and a bit of weight on the rod. Finally we got the fish into the net and it came to 85cm. My first kingfish for the year and it was on a big stickbait – I was stoked. Even if we didn’t catch any more kings we at least had one in the esky. The bust ups were happening about every 15 minutes. Some close some further away. I got to watch a kingfish sail out of the water as it missed my lure. I could see follows but they kept missing. It was amazing to see so many big kingfish racing past and feeding. I finally hook up and so does Mark on an unweighted livie. My hooks pull but Mark lands his king and it was a touch over 1m. As we can see arches in the 20m to 40m range under the boat Mat drops a livie in the mid-water column. Half an hour later his rod goes off and up comes a 75cm kingfish. The other two boats left as they had to do the school run. We get a few more feeding frenzies but too short or too far away to get any real chance.

We decided to head back the long way via a reef where we put the livies down and I get a hit on the first run. I’m guessing snapper by the weight but could not have been more wrong. This was my first ever one of these thus a personal best too. When I realised what it was just underneath the boat I was a hooping and a hollering. I was even more excited about this than the kingfish so this time we got some photos.

JD2.thumb.jpg.d842ac5fc016b50cae605db84bc96cc9.jpg

We stopped past some flathead grounds on the way in. I picked up a barely legal flathead which was released while Mat took the opportunity to clean the fish we caught. During the cleaning he opened the bellies of the kings to see what they had been feeding on - pilchards and good ones too which explains the colours of the scales I saw after I heard the big splash earlier in the day. Bag total was 3 good kingfish, 5 decent snapper and the John Dory. Back at the ramp it didn’t take us long to get the boat back on the trailer and then head back home. As I don’t eat fish I swapped my 85cm king for Mat's 75cm king (which he will fillet for me and I’ll give those away to some friends). All in all it was a great day from which memories are made.

On a side note, on the way in we heard several reports on the radio about the tuna and it turns out that while a few boats were getting them they were mostly 20km south of Sydney and nowhere near where we were for the day. The Kings were the right choice.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Derek. That's not a bad Dory, glad you had a good day on the water, sorry to hear you have been made redundant. Are you going to take some time off or look for another job straight away.

Frank

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, frankS said:

Derek. That's not a bad Dory, glad you had a good day on the water, sorry to hear you have been made redundant. Are you going to take some time off or look for another job straight away.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Being made redundant was emotional as I was walking away from people I'd been working with for over 8 years. They were in essence, a work family. I know people you say you can keep in touch but in my opinion in reality it doesn't happen that way as it was the work environment which was the binding agent. A bit like school. You keep in contact with those people that you had things in common with outside school hours.

I got looked after financially as I received a more than fair payout plus my long service leave and accumulated holidays. I decided to take a break to do the things I had to do, should do and wanted to do. I've only just started applying for some work and had an interview this week with a company which to me ticks my boxes (on paper at least). I've been invited back for a second interview next Monday. I want to be sure that I am the right fit for them and the other way around. I like the people I have talked to so far and what the company does.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 9

Good to see that you got a break from coaching and got a fish in. An 85cm king and a big dory is nothing to be sniffed at.

All the best with the recruitment process for the new role and enjoy your sabbatical while it lasts…weekday fishing is a special luxury to be savoured!

• Like 1

Well that was a lengthy report, Derek. Luckily I am on personal terms with my boss so I can have a long break to absorb your reports. Seriously, that's what I would call a good day on the water. Quality fish and that JD takes the cake. A beautiful, yet ugly-looking killing machine that inches its way towards its target and then sucks it into that big gob. Whoever ended up with that is in for a treat as they are delicious to eat.

Good to see that you managed a day away from your tutoring and enjoyed practicing what you teach.

Good luck with the job interview Derek. Thanks for the excellent report.

bn

• Like 1

Awesome report Derek ! Sorry to hear about your job - we never know what’s around the corner though! That is a nice Dory ! Conditions look mint ! 

• Like 1

A great read and congratulations on the first kingfish of the year.  Also, awesome to hear of the potential match on a new job prospect.  I had no idea what that fish you caught at the  end was called until I saw you mentioned it was a John Dory...now I've seen it on menus before and pretty sure I've eaten it before while out, but didn't know that's what they look like!

• Like 1

Well Derek, one thing goes down, however, the fishing was a great pick-up for you. Good sized kingies, reddies, a dory, and plenty of fish entertainment atacking the lures. Good luck with the next interview.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, james Cutler said:

@DerekD one thing about life. One door closes & another opens. You never know what is around the corner.

Good Luck.

Thank you James,

The redundancy is not necessarily a bad thing. There were some aspects of my work which were getting to me in the past year and a week or so before the announcements I had a moment of clarity where I stopped on the way out asking myself if, after 8.5 years there, it was time to do something different. I then decided I'd push through to the 10 years and see how I felt then. This event has pushed the time frame forward and given me a generous payout which allows me the time to not have to take the next thing that turns up. While burned out is too strong an expression, I was tired, and the two months off so far have been a pleasure and a chance to mentally recharge the batteries.

Watch this space. 😀

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Thank you James,

The redundancy is not necessarily a bad thing. There were some aspects of my work which were getting to me in the past year and a week or so before the announcements I had a moment of clarity where I stopped on the way out asking myself if, after 8.5 years there, it was time to do something different. I then decided I'd push through to the 10 years and see how I felt then. This event has pushed the time frame forward and given me a generous payout which allows me the time to not have to take the next thing that turns up. While burned out is too strong an expression, I was tired, and the two months off so far have been a pleasure and a chance to mentally recharge the batteries.

Watch this space. 😀

Regards,

Derek

We found that several years ago. Stewy's workplace (for over 25 years) closed down and there were over 200 men paid out. He did various jobs for a while. Shortly after, my project was completed and I was offered redundancy and a generous pay out. I was also offered Director of Nursing positions and exec management positions but happily I took the offer of pay out. 

I thought long and hard and decided that I had done my best in the hard profession of nursing over a long time. We decided to retire and we bought a caravan and car and did a lap of our wonderful country. During Covid I was called up to return to work if required. I still mentor nurses entering Health Informatics, review papers submitted for conferences and generally keep abreast of what is happening. 

Retirement is great if you have hobbies and outlets. Our granddaughter is 4 soon and another party to attend. I am writing a chapter in a book to be published. Of course through all this I have managed this fishraider community! I just booked us a trip up to Lake Windamere :) 
It is a busy life still Derek, just different doing all the things you love to do. 

Having said that, I hope you find a job that is easy and working with nice people. Avoid burnout and start afresh. Good luck. 

Good report and that Dory is a beauty. 

• Like 5

Hey Derek

Well done and so glad to hear you were back on the kings - makes a change from the top water bream you have been targeting and also the salmon in the harbour with me!

Very impressed with that John Dory as they are a fish I am still to get up close and personal with.

Looking forward to wetting a line with you again very soon

• Like 1

Man,

Now I see the report you were talking to me about @DerekD. Sounds like an amazing day on the water and I gotta admit I felt a little envious of those kings being caught and vision of the water boiling with action out deep!

Looking forward to hearing about today's adventure.

• Like 1

Great report Derek and what session catching kingfish on top water offshore. It doesn't replace the tuna but truly exciting stuff.

I've never tried eating John Dory but I have tasted Mirror Dory, wondering if anyone knows what the eating quality differences between the two?

Edited by whiskey299

• 4 weeks later...

Update. The second interview went well - two hours in fact with a walk around. The company then asked for references and then it was an offer with a start date.

First week here and a lot of things being thrown at me but the place feels right. Even got the chance after work yesterday to swing past a nearby lagoon for a topwater fish and picked up a barely legal whiting on a bent minnow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

Update. The second interview went well - two hours in fact with a walk around. The company then asked for references and then it was an offer with a start date.

First week here and a lot of things being thrown at me but the place feels right. Even got the chance after work yesterday to swing past a nearby lagoon for a topwater fish and picked up a barely legal whiting on a bent minnow.

You never pass up an opportunity to flick a top water lure around do you!!! Glad everything is going well with the new gig

Great report Derek, sorry to hear about redundancy, but with your skill set, you won’t be “idle” for long. A silver lining is more time to go fishing. Always welcome to come out with me, but haven’t been doing a lot lately.