Harbour Kings

Sammy0884

Hi Guys,

Here is a belated report from Saturday just gone.

With me buying rods and reels at a rate faster than i have been catching fish, the decision was made to try and blood my new Jigging combo on some harbour kings. We were going to get kings rain hail or shine!

Crazedfisherdude and i hit met up at my house at 0415 and loaded up the boat and hit the road, 10 minutes later i see the tie down strap dragging along the ground behind the boat, we park and find that a rough chine edge had cut through the strap, so a quick repair job and we were on our way! We made a scheduled stop at the new airport BP to grab some ice and a breakfast sausage roll! then pushed on to rose bay to drop the boat and start chasing squid.

After running around in the dark trying the usual haunts for squid we tried a new spot a jagged two in broad daylight, clifton and balmoral returned nil result which was dissapointing to say the least. With only two smallish squid in the tank the decision was made to strip them straight away rather than possibly waste them on rats, we also picked up some yakkas just in case the kings were thick and would take a liking to them.

Spot number one, a yellow marker, was our first pick. the first pass with a strip on the downrigger saw a big strike but a baited hook. Second pass, with as much pre-load in the poor little black magic/avet rod as the rigger clip could stand... bump bump, on! zzzzz...zz...zzzzzz.... wooo the first king of the day, a nice 59cm specimen was released to fight another day...

New Rod in the background there :P

BDO2007276.jpg

Pass #3 saw a much better fish take another downrigged squid strip on Chris' strike which was pulling like a 5y.o. in a supermarket... Netic who was nearby told me to get another bait in the water as the kings were following the hooked fish to the boat. So i put a nice inky head on a Gamakatsu 5/0 live bait hook, unweighted, and started stripping line from my new Fishfinder Jig rod, and like clockwork line starts ripping from the spool, shut the bail arm and i put a load into the new rod for the first time! woooo! what a beast! After all the comotion of the double hookup chris' 67cm and my 64cm fish hit the ice...

BDO2007277.jpg

We baited up again and i took another fish that went 62cm on the brag mat, it also took a liking to my propeller but disaster was averted and another scalp was taken on the jig rod/ spheros combo. The action at the yellow marker had slowed right down, a few more passes saw some less agressive kings, and on closer inspection, baited hooks. time for a move.

All this time, the fisheries RIB was doing the rounds, checking everyone fishing the marker and general vicinity for a legal catch, and that everyone was carrying their fishing licences and had the apropriate measuring stickers... we motored over to save them some fuel :P , they were top guys who were really into their fishing, they inspected our catch and live tank, made sure we had a sticker and asked for our fishing licences, pulled mine out of my wallet which was in my dry bag, but chris had somehow managed to lock his in the glovebox, after 10 minutes, some inox spray and the help of a NSW Fisheries flat head screwdriver, the glovebox unwillingly opened and chis' licence was handed over to the guys... which received some funny looks, they turn to chris and say..." mate....this is expired..." chris has a little nervous wee and then they Fisheries guys crack up laughing... joke was on us! top guys, they knew what fishraider was and knew about our members social events and apologised for their not turning up to our kingy social! it was all good, so we left them to carry on with their work.

BDO2007278.jpg

BDO2007279.jpg

We tried clifton gardens for some squid to top up our supply, but alas, no action apart from netic going into the drink after one of big_steves rods! what a pisser! Anyway, the wind was picking up, and we were tired, hot and hungry, so after a refreshing swim at CG, we decided to drop our remaining squid strips at another marker that had some love on the sounder, which was also being fished by raider "Onelastcast". Again, more finnicky fish stealing baits. So down to our second last squid strip, chris has the strike, pop... wait....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!! PING! 80lb leader snapped like cotton... after a little heaps of swearing and cursing, we dropped down our last strip, after about 10 laps we had no takes... so onto our last spot where Netic was getting into some good size Samsons and RZee dropped a 90cm specimen boatside... again.... no love???!!! we called it a day and spent the remaining little while cleaning blood splatter whilst drifting rose bay for a few undersize flatties on some Gulp! worms for a laugh.

We were off the water at about 1230 although the last fish was boated at 0950.... so if you want to get into the kings then get out early!post-1587-1173052023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sammy0884

Nice report Sammy. Glad you scored some kings at least.

Those Fisheries boys must be cacking themselves at CFD's expense :074: What a hoot.

Good to se them out and about checking everyone's licence and catch.

Pity the kings didn't want to play well on Saturday, but a couple is all you need for a good feed.

Hope you brain 'em next outing.

Cheers,

Pete.

Well done boys.....there was some pretty fast action there for a while at the marker....

Did you guys notice that out of the 10+ boats there.....the only ones hooking up to kings were the 4 boats downrigging.....Co-incidence......maybe...maybe not

Well done again boys

Well done boys.....there was some pretty fast action there for a while at the marker....

Did you guys notice that out of the 10+ boats there.....the only ones hooking up to kings were the 4 boats downrigging.....Co-incidence......maybe...maybe not

Well done again boys

Totally agree with the downrigging netic. Although i feel fresh caught squid = kings, there is no substitute!

Well done on the kings guys...thanks i really regret not getting up now.

Good to see fisheries out there.

In all my years fishing off the rocks and boat I've yet to come across them once. Are they actually fining people if they find undersize fish or are they just giving them warnings ?

Nice report, Sam. Sounds like an informal Raider social on the Harbour! :1yikes::biggrin2: Well done on the kings - there seems to be so many around at the moment! :thumbup: So many amazing bust-offs have been occuring, I can imagine someone downrigging with a Tiagra sometime soon... Sounds like a classic day of fishing with netic having a swim and the Fisheries having a joke...

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Good report Sam :thumbup:

was a fun day indeed, and i think we got off the water at the right time, it got a bit bloody hot in the end and we ran out of squid :05:

you forgot to mention my random swim at clifton too :biggrin2:

great to see fisheries out and about but bloody slack of them to pull my leg like that even though i knew my licence was valid, still nearly wet my pants.

looking forward to the next one :yahoo:

CFD

I think the next one might have to be a dollie trip...some awesome reports coming in over the last few days

Good report Sam :thumbup:

was a fun day indeed, and i think we got off the water at the right time, it got a bit bloody hot in the end and we ran out of squid :05:

you forgot to mention my random swim at clifton too :biggrin2:

great to see fisheries out and about but bloody slack of them to pull my leg like that even though i knew my licence was valid, still nearly wet my pants.

looking forward to the next one :yahoo:

CFD

Having eye troubles again mate?

Anyway, the wind was picking up, and we were tired, hot and hungry, so after a refreshing swim at CG, we decided to drop our remaining squid strips at another marker

As the story goes, i was pulling up the anchor whilst chris was tidying up the boat.. chris says "dont start the motor..." i turn around to ask why, but i see chris going head first into the drink!!! now, i having seen Netic just go in after a rod and reel, i thought "shitto! whats he dropped into the drink??"..anyway it turns out he was hot and wanted a swim! thanks for the heads up mate! LOL :074:

Well done Sammy, better than my trip in the Bay today....

Pitty the squid are so cagey...

was good to catch you at Fishfinder on Sunday too

Catch you round

PS... I think the kings are going to regret seeing me on wednesday with my new Fishfinder Prograph... it is awesome... I'm in love with my rod...LOL :1prop:

Rodger