Friday 5/1/18

Stu-SP

Hi all,

I went out Friday morning with the aim of catching my first dolphinfish as I’ve heard there are a few around the Fad at the moment. I’ve never been to the fad before and as I have a 460 Coastrunner I wanted to follow some mates out in a bigger boat. Unfortunately they pulled the pin at the 11th hour, but the conditions looked perfect and the morning of we decided to head out. We picked up some live squid of the way out of the hacking, only managed 2 lollipops. We found a heap of yakkas but they weren’t taking the sabiki jigs. So we decided to head out with 2 squid and flick plastics if all else fails.

Well to say I was impressed with how the boat travelled out and back was an understatement! We got out to the port hacking fad in about 35mins, I thought it would have been longer. Had the two squid out and they both got hit in the first 10mins! A double hook up, not to massive bulls, but they put on a good display. Our very first dollies!! One went 68cm and the other 64cm, so in the esky they went for a feed. With no more livies I turned to throwing a stickbait, I had one follow in about 20mins. Then my mate was jigging hooked a rope (must have been an old anchor line or something as it was 60m down. While he fought that back for his jig (and won) I hooked a Dollie on stickbait on my 4000 reel. Great fun on light gear and was just on 60cm so I returned it to the deep blue. After about another 30mins we called it quits and headed home. Trolled a few skirts on the way back just in case but nothing.

All up it was a ripping day on the water and it’s always good when a plan comes together!! Most pics are on my camera but I’ll put up what’s on my phone.

Cheers, Stu

3340F073-67CF-43FA-884D-3265F544E873.jpeg

E30D6218-91EC-45A1-9B5B-627DBBFD825C.jpeg

09422137-468C-4417-B647-9EA27DA6C7C3.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, King chaser said:

Great report stu! The dollies are so much fun! What was the water quality and temp like out there?

In all the excitement I didn’t get the water temp, I think around 23* but don’t hold me to it.

There were at least 6 boats out there when we arrived and one JetSki.

4 hours ago, sam bros said:

Nice work, that is some good sized dollies

How many nm out is the Hacking Fad from the heads?

From port hacking it’s 21km. There is a lap a closer one out from botany heads.

7 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice report..hope you can get a few bigger ones next time..they are on the way down the coast..big ones at port mac and swr...rick

I can’t wait to get into a bigger model!! Such good fun!!

Good result. Fish were caught and fish to eat.

We usually end up using bait to catch the yakkas near the mouth of the hacking, and take a block of pillies as back up. Small sweep etc will work as live bait.

Sunrise and sea conditions look good.

Doesn't take much to get hooked on FAD fishing.

bruce

12 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Good result. Fish were caught and fish to eat.

We usually end up using bait to catch the yakkas near the mouth of the hacking, and take a block of pillies as back up. Small sweep etc will work as live bait.

Sunrise and sea conditions look good.

Doesn't take much to get hooked on FAD fishing.

bruce

Cheers for the info Bruce. I'll definitely throw a block of pillies in next time. You could have asked for a better day and I'll try and get out there again in the coming weeks!!

Just quietly great family records!! ?

11 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done nice to see a nice Dolphin Fish Stu .

Cheers fisho my first one, so stoked with it. Keen for a bigger model!!