Salmon off the beach down south.

the skipper

Took off down south with the wife for a few days of r and r so I did not drag the boat down.

After a couple of days of doing the right thing I needed to wet a line on a local beach on Tueasdya after everyone had gone home .

With a perfect tide and conditions I latched onto a school of salmon landing over a dozen and one shovel nose for good measure had a ball went through a block of pillies with a hit on just about every cast . The gutters down there are full of Pelagius coming into winter with the run up tide so it is always a good back up if you do no good out of the boat.

Couple of picks of three I kept they go ok fresh seasoned with with some slat and pepper dusted with flour in a quick fry up.

cheers The Skipper

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Nothing wrong with fresh Salmon, fillet, skin and cut any blood meat out, and they are fine, if left for a few days before cleaning and eating, they are not so flash, most have never actually eaten them because of past reputation.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, the skipper said:

Took off down south with the wife for a few days of r and r so I did not drag the boat down.

After a couple of days of doing the right thing I needed to wet a line on a local beach on Tueasdya after everyone had gone home .

With a perfect tide and conditions I latched onto a school of salmon landing over a dozen and one shovel nose for good measure had a ball went through a block of pillies with a hit on just about every cast . The gutters down there are full of Pelagius coming into winter with the run up tide so it is always a good back up if you do no good out of the boat.

Couple of picks of three I kept they go ok fresh seasoned with with some slat and pepper dusted with flour in a quick fry up.

cheers The Skipper

Why are the gutters down there full of this fellow?

Pelagius.jpg.99673d8a60c22509b71f49ff8e414772.jpg

• Haha 2

They are thick as in my area right now also. Headed out for an hour on the beach yesterday and caught and released around 20.  Was in the water today among them, one buddy even found a nice 10ft great white following them. 

Unfortunately the netters are taking tons locally too.

when the weather is bad for a prolonged period of time down south ie Narooma/Bega the pro fishers can't get out so a lot more salmon and other similar fish get a chance to get up the coast further like to Sydney and even up to Coffs etc I remenber about 25 years ago we had several east coast lows around from May throughto July and the salmon were thick as all along the coast that winter and even through the next summer

Jim

very interesting , i always thought that  it was some other reason why we have good and bad years when it comes to salmon around Sydney, it really amazes me  that the netters can do so much damage to the salmon stocks  ,  

Just now, leonardgid said:

very interesting , i always thought that  it was some other reason why we have good and bad years when it comes to salmon around Sydney, it really amazes me  that the netters can do so much damage to the salmon stocks   , i wonder if this is the reason  why we do not get the big schools of tailor as well because of netters .

15 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff Paul. Sounds like a fun session! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff .. hope next weekend goes well and that all the "Raiders"bag out . Please keep me posted on how it goes and plenty of pics. 

Tight lines to all .

The Skipper

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Not many beach net fishermen get loads of Tailor, Mullet are the prime target, Salmon second.

I understand that all the interest for the overseas market is in the roe, not the flesh! Apparently big money.

3 hours ago, JonD said:

Heard the netters pulled 10 tons of our local beaches yesterday, these fish are heading north this time of year. http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/exclusive-new-rules-will-see-netters-ravage-nsw

That article was from 2014 and was about unofficial proposals to open up some areas of  estuary  to netting - and it was never implemented.

2 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

That article was from 2014 and was about unofficial proposals to open up some areas of  estuary  to netting - and it was never implemented.

The netting went ahead, infact my daughter was on one local lake last week where several netters were telling her the best places to fish and how they had pulled 250kg of bream four days in a row. This had been fishing well untill they hit it. There was an uproar about netting starting back up in the Tuross rive just after that article.http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/19379-Spotlight-on-Tuross-Head

Even the lake infront of my house suffers netting pressure, this is within the sanctuary and banned from netting ( Mummaga Lake ).

Edited by JonD
  • Sad 1

I think you will find it was a counter proposal by the pros in the face of the licencing changes which were claimed to be quite devastating to their viability. Look up the Narooma News March 12 2014 (I can't cut and past for some reason). 

Edited by kingfishbig

3 hours ago, JonD said:

The netting went ahead, infact my daughter was on one local lake last week where several netters were telling her the best places to fish and how they had pulled 250kg of bream four days in a row. This had been fishing well untill they hit it. There was an uproar about netting starting back up in the Tuross rive just after that article.http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/19379-Spotlight-on-Tuross-Head

Even the lake infront of my house suffers netting pressure, this is within the sanctuary and banned from netting ( Mummaga Lake ).

I haven't heard anything about the netting going ahead in those areas listed in the Fishing World article. I don't think the magazine would keep quiet about it after all that.. In fact the article was a terrible beat up. In fact the changes were about reducing the no of commercial fishermen (by 200), limiting the no of days they can fish and moving to a quota system.