Port Stephens- Redemption Day

Scratchie

G’day raiders,

Well, after the catastrophic weather over the last week, it was finally time to hit Broughton Island and make up for last weekends inability to get there! 

Got up with jnr nice and early with the forecast looking like perfect conditions! 1.2-1.3m south swell and 6-8knot westerly, hopes were high of landing a few good snaps! 

Got to our mark and no one in sight. Start the drift and the boy comes up tight to a nice snaps and gets done on the reef. Oh well, plenty more where that came from. We keep casting and he’s on again! This time getting absolutely smoked on his 3000 Sedona until we see it come up high and make a run on the surface! As the backing appeared we decide to chase it and knowing it’s a longtail. He worked this fish over for well over 1/2 an hour until the leader gave in. 

Reset a new drift and first cast bang, jnr is on again! This time big big headshakes, followed by a massive run and then another on the surface! Another bloody longtail. This time we let the whole battle play out and happy to say we landed it with the first gaff shot! 

The area was ruined by now as we had to drive and chase this fish with the young fella still using the 3000. He absolutely played it to perfection! 

We then moved around a fair bit only getting a few pannies. The conditions were so calm, with no drift, no wind, no current and super clear water didn’t help our cause! 

But overall, watching your son get stretched on a fish like that well and truly made my day! 

Gear: shimano Sedona 3000 shimano sonic pro 4-7kg 15lb fins braid and 20lb blackmagic leader. 1/4 5/0 jig and gulp 7inch pink shine. 

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!! 

CBECF2F2-24FE-4FD5-B372-23A19AF5607E.thumb.jpeg.d0350df85fee7da7e2b228af151bb7f1.jpeg8EAE6EEA-0EEF-4E17-B111-9D552A889593.thumb.png.068be7c59ba489f8fee634644ca528b4.png

• Like 14

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

Great report Scartchie love the photos top stuff

Thanks mate! 

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report, Jeff! Good to see the longtail are still about! Maybe I’ll get out sometime next week!

Cheers Baz

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Water conditions look good, and a nice fish to top it off.

Water was way too calm for my liking yowie! No run, no fun! Except for the young fella

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great report as always. Great pics.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Cracker of a fish and well done on the gear.

👍

Couldn’t believe we landed it. Must have taught him well. 

18 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Congrats scratch jnr   nice fish jeff   beautiful lookin morn  im at woolgoolga droolin over the water with no rod

Cheers rick! No rod? Not a tru fisherman then! 😝

3 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Living the dream team Scratchie !!!! 

Great effort and Jnr looks absolutely knackered.

Cheers Sam! He was spent. All my longtail have been on a 6000 reel or bigger! Only someone that has caught a 15kg plus longtail can appreciate the effort he put in! Very proud of my little mate! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice one fellas

Bit of sashimi for a while👍

Cheers Pete! Sorry mate, tried to message you back but having phone issues! Yep, sashimi with a beer this arvo! Yum 😋 

3 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

What a ripper for the young bloke 👍

I knew some sort of report like this was coming to, just to rub salt into the wounds 😟😂

Thats the rewards for living in a top place like PS  & quick access to some great fishing grounds👍

True that mate! After a very frustrating week, we were going out today no matter what! No snapper about really but watching the boy land this ripper and his first longtail was amazing! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

True that mate! After a very frustrating week, we were going out today no matter what! No snapper about really but watching the boy land this ripper and his first longtail was amazing! 

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to redeem ourselves with your help in September :fishing1:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Wow almost the start of the financial year and the longies are still about. Great photos, looks like the young fella needs to start doing a few push ups.

Cheers Scotty 

Never seen them so thick up here! He was well and truly buggered! Fair effort though! 

11 hours ago, Ojay Samson said:

Frothing! Nice one boys

Thanks Ollie!

11 hours ago, Welster said:

No surprise he was knackered after that.  Awesome effort. 

It sure was! Tbh, didn’t think it was possible! 

8 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Nice one Tyran and love the pose with rod in mouth ;)

Thanks Donna! Wonder where he got that from! Lol 😝 

5 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Awesome report Jeff!

Cheers Pete! 

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Awesome report & photos and a top effort by junior (jealous), definitely a chip off the old bloke, great effort on the light gear😎

Thanks champ! He’s definitely a younger version of me but a better angler! 

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Thanks champ! He’s definitely a younger version of me but a better angler! 

It’s your fault his better, because you taught him everything he knows 😂 and some, even with his eyes shut & in pain you can still see he’s one happy chap, maybe he needs to tango with a few marlin later in the year to get better conditioned 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1