A week in SWR

hookerbruce

Spent a week with my son and his family at the South West Rocks  most days were long getting back from the beach or fishing around 630 pm. Fished the morning or the afternoon only fished the river. 

Kept 2 or 3 flathead a day plus whiting longtom bream garfish and crabs.  Released a lot of fish including a 91cm flathead. All fish were caught on 2kg outfits fishing on sandflats. Ray put up a bit of a fight on 2kg for my grandson. Fishing was a little quiet this year maybe the clear water. 20200115_153442.thumb.jpg.e4c47a3e644a6d77baacaafe13bb6424.jpg

20200120_154836.jpg

20200121_131739.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

Edited by hookerbruce
add photos
  • Like 10

Yes the flatty was a good fish my son, caught it on a little 70mm hard body with tiny trebles on 2 kg line fishing from the sand flat in knee deep water. He counts it as his no. 4 PB flathead. 

The photos are a bit hit and miss with me not able to see much on the phone screen because of the glare and no glasses. 

The longtom cook up very well they are a bit fiddly to fillet like garfish but when they are 60 -80 cm long you get a lot more meat off them.

I lost a bigger flathead that swallowed a 32 cm whiting unfortunately the whiting came out after a minute or two. 

The garfish were actually the snub nose river ones. 

We had a great holiday.Next big fishing trip will be Culburra in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks for the replies 

Bruce 

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Top effort Bruce - a really nice mixed bag of eating fish - I bet the ray gave you a hurry up on 2kg gear

The ray was my 10 year old grandson lurecasting. Thought he had a big flathead like his dad's. 

I thinkI'llbe up at the rocks for Easter should get back from south Australia end of march. I'll send you a message in the next few days l