A week in SA

hookerbruce

Started fishing in Ceduna they had been getting blueswimmers off the jetty so I bought a couple of crab nets and went to the jetty late afternoon. No one else there. Maybe the 20 knot southerly had put them off. Caught a few Tommy rough as well hadn't tried them so kept them for later. Managed 5 legal crabs in windy conditions in less than 2hours. 

Next afternoon had another go managed 6 with slightly less wind, again had jetty to myself. 

Moved along the coast to a beach about 20 km before streaky bay. Guy camped Next door offered a trip fishing but I was going into Streaky bay for the day.

My wife said don't be stupid go fishing. Result was squid king George whiting and Tommys, apparently a quiet morning. Went to Streaky bay for the afternoon. 

Next day moved on to Sheringa beach near Elliston, a salmon fishing spot. First morning fished beach near camp area for some very small salmon. Then went exploring and found a guy catching medium sized salmon off a beach.  He was very keen for me to fish right next to him to keep the school active. Landed about 20 salmon 30-40cm kept a few and surprised how good the smaller ones cook up.

Moved on to Coffin bay for two nights but didn't have a fish. Next stop near Port Lincoln place called North Shields. The jetty at the back of the van park was irresistible.  An hour before breakfast or at tea time would produce 2 or 3 squid, on the last evening I fished till dusk and scored 7 squid and a nice king George. 

Heading to Cowells tommorow and hoping for some blue swimmers. As this is a touring holiday I am happy with what I've caught.

Will add photos when I have better phone service.

• Like 4

Great report there @hookerbruce brings back memories of when I travelled in 89 in the opposite direction, how good are those king george to eat & those salmon are quite tasty from those colder waters unlike what’s up here on the east coast, loved streaky bay, keep the report coming & looking forward to some pics

Edited by 61 crusher
Spelling

53 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Good stuff Bruce, sounds like your having a great time .......... I'm jealous.

Nice to have the time to amble along. Tried some razorfish tonight cooked it tastes just like an oyster might have to try them raw.

Heading up to where we went the other year have a spot available for 1 or 2 weeks 4 to 18th sept this year yes no maybe 

Good work there Bruce, you are travelling about quite a bit lately. 

The wife and I were thinking of travelling over there from May onwards, eventually heading up to Flinders and Wilpena, however, this may change.

The Corona virus appears to be more tolerant of the cooler weather, and not so tolerant of the warmer weather, according to her medical friend.

Had planned a trip to southern NSW and northern Victoria, but with groups of people over 500 being banned, this may not happen. Outback Qld sounds good, definitely not the Gold Coast or just north of there.

Glad your enjoying God's Country (SA 'Far West Coast)

The trick to making Salmon into a superb eating fish is:

cut the throat and bleed the fish IMMEDIATELY it is landed

AFter bleeding for around 5 min, get it in to an ice slurry

when ready to eat...

fillet and skin Skinning is mandatory to get rid of the strong oils under the skin.

coat the fillets with seasoned flour (Tandaco fish seasoning is ideal)

grill the fillets over hot coals (frying is OK but grilling is better)  Dont over cook.

remove and discard the red "muscle"/ blood from the skin side of the cooked fillet

ENJOY.. one of the most under rated fish in the sea.  Even huge ones are delicious cooked this way.

• Like 1

Yeah I also found the smaller salmon were great to eat and as another Raider says really important to skin them.

If you stay around Louth Bay which I think was between Port Lincoln and Cowell there is very good squid fishing off the wharf and from there to Cowell good fishing for what they call 'silver' whiting (or yellow finned whiting) I caught heaps of good sized ones using the tentacles off the squid in shallow water on the beaches when I was there a few years ago.

Love the catch of blue swimmers by the way!

Fil

On 3/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, dmck said:

Glad your enjoying God's Country (SA 'Far West Coast)

The trick to making Salmon into a superb eating fish is:

cut the throat and bleed the fish IMMEDIATELY it is landed

AFter bleeding for around 5 min, get it in to an ice slurry

when ready to eat...

fillet and skin Skinning is mandatory to get rid of the strong oils under the skin.

coat the fillets with seasoned flour (Tandaco fish seasoning is ideal)

grill the fillets over hot coals (frying is OK but grilling is better)  Dont over cook.

remove and discard the red "muscle"/ blood from the skin side of the cooked fillet

ENJOY.. one of the most under rated fish in the sea.  Even huge ones are delicious cooked this way.

Spot on mate they are very under rated IMO. How good is that tandaco fish seasoning?! I always have some on the boat and in the cupboard at home, delicious and so easy. I do exactly the same as you except I cut the bloodlines out before I cook the fillets 👍

• Like 1

Bruce if you've got a mask and snorkel swim around the pylons and crabs will be sitting on them.Got plenty at Ceduna wharf .They jump and swim off but easy catch in the weed.Afterwards reflected on the white pointer population.

• Like 1