First Mulloway

antonywardle

Got a chance to sneak out before work with a mate in his plastic boat. The target was mulloway/flathead anything on plastics and vibes. This has been a weakness in my fishing arsenal and something I've been wanting to fix. I was off to a good start as I caught a little tailor on a barra lure on my baitcaster from the wharf while waiting. We motored around Brisbane waters and started throwing plastics. Mate catches a flounder on a gulp! It was a first.  It went back and then It went a bit quiet, so we changed to vibes. My mate hooks up a nice tailor and he went back out as a live bait, and we carried on with the vibes and he pulls up a good flathead around the 500 mark. It went back for someone else to catch. Next up, mate pulls in a Mulloway maybe mid 500's. Got the vibe out and sent back. If you are paying attention, you'll notice that mate is catching and I'm not. So while I'm bring mine in, I got a hit and after a couple of runs, I got my first Mulloway. This monster went around 450 on the lie detector and I was pretty happy to get my first one. Safely released.

J1.jpg.51a0107aa6910f7384fc28c144764b5d.jpg

Some more moving around and mate picks up another Mulloway, around the 600 mark and then he got a good hit and onboard came an 800 model. After a few photos, it was safely released. I was on a paddle tail at this stage and as i wound it back in, I got a hit and after a couple of runs, I had a 640, so I beat my PB. The tide started running a lot more so we decided to stop for the day and headed back. We ended up with a flounder, two tailor, one flathead and five mulloway, all safely released, and I was back home in time to do a days work!

j2.jpg.6dbcc7c5f5c9882a0bb4efdb460c0ff7.jpgj3.jpg.d6315cb1bd1d560278716f05bb92a404.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Great work Ant, a species I want to try & target more myself. 

I have read the vibes work a bit better than the plastics as the "vibration" really gets them interested.

Still when you can cross all the types of lure captures off the list its an accomplishment that gets you thinking what is the best way to go bigger & bigger & bigger 🤔

Thanks for sharing :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great session with 5 mulloway! you must be doing a few things right and hopefully the PBs will keep coming!

What depth were you getting them in?

I think where we were was around 8-10 metres. For me I was just casting and retrieving. Tide was slack which I think helped.

2 hours ago, antonywardle said:

I think where we were was around 8-10 metres. For me I was just casting and retrieving. Tide was slack which I think helped.

They'll get bigger! Thanks for the info, it all helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antonywardle said:

The boat is a polycraft that came from Brisbane. Dave is the owner. I've been out a few times, and it was with him I got my PB Dusky. I  think it was 82 or 84 on a plastic. Safely released that one too.

Sweet, They are nice boats! - I know 2 different guys that have the same colour Polycrafts on Brisbane Waters 👍 (Probably been yahooing to the wrong guy. LOL) 😅

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Brendan Monks said:

Sweet, They are nice boats! - I know 2 different guys that have the same colour Polycrafts on Brisbane Waters 👍 (Probably been yahooing to the wrong guy. LOL) 😅

Dave would most likely wave back. Hes a nice guy

wave out to me if you see me, Im in a white plate boat with stressfree written on the side.

• Like 1