Headed North (QLD)

Scratchie

Gday raiders, 

After my fishing mate Woodsy moved to QLD about a year ago, we haven’t caught up for a fish. There’s been plenty of texting and phone calls but as soon as the premier opened the boarder, I thought right it’s time to go! 
We hatched a plan to fish Moreton Island Saturday and Gold Coast on the Sunday. 
I travelled up on Friday with one of my boys (Brandon) and gave him a bit of a drive along the way! (Learner=Left at few gears at Coffs) Crossed the boarder pretty easy and arrived around lunchtime, to see @Woodsy1making final preparations to the boat. We decided to go down to the marina for lunch and then the tackle store on the way home before getting our gear ready after a nice swim and bbq. Excitement and anticipation was high and it was good to see my mate after such a long time. Plans were made and a 2am get up was the call. 

Saturday........

Well, we left on time and 5 minutes down the road Woodsy remembers that he forgot the winch handle. No stress 10 min turn around and off we go! We are driving down the freeway and there is a car behind us flashing it’s lights. Oh no, not the police! So we pull up and here’s this young lass saying there’s smoke coming from our boat. Oops, the trailer has blow a tyre! 
Damn, after spending some time fixing it roadside the call was made to change plans  and fish the Goldy. Nothing was going to stop us! 

A1C71C68-F2F4-4676-ACF4-F089E0C595FB.thumb.jpeg.d390f7c215d741802655367517854c1c.jpeg

So we get to the ramp and it’s pretty busy and it was only 3:40. We put the boat in and I’d put the bungs in the wrong spot and the boat starts filling up. Oh gees! Fix that up and we are finally off! We hit the bait grounds and Woodsy warned me of the boat traffic but I had no idea what I was about to witness! Boats everywhere in the 100’s 😩😩😩 The fishing pressure up there on the weekends is massive. Way more than down here. Anyway, we collected a few livies and moved on! We trolled to the inside fads that were standing room only then kept heading wide. Got to the widest fad that was still packed but managed a drive by and hooked up first pass! 

C38F1B3E-3259-402A-9046-4638F0C9E89C.thumb.jpeg.fd6351d3f7d390e4ab37efd55877cdec.jpeg

We then worked the area and managed to squeeze in a drift and out went the livie that was demolished in seconds and woodsy lands another. We tried a few more drifts and some flybys and then moved on to find our own patch. But there were no more takers and considering the start we had to the day, I’d call that a success! 

Sunday........

After some more research and feedback from some locals we made the trek to Moreton Island. We’d seen some reports of wahoo during the week and the fisherman we are, our confidence of getting a decent fish was high. On the trip (31nm out) we were nearing our spot and there were bust ups everywhere. We stopped and threw a few metals about but to no avail. We kept pushing on, and got to flinders shoal and set the spread. Outriggers out, 2 x 2m divers 1 x 6m diver and 2 x skirts. With all bases covered the wait was on! 

812474FB-214D-4C38-A2EA-C98866D991DB.thumb.jpeg.ed1099cab22a90712564f6dc78f62ad8.jpeg

Once again, I was surprised by the amount of boats working the area such a long way out and the pressure continues. Sad to say that after 5 hours of trolling, not a single hit. And we didn’t see anyone land anything either. So it was lines in but we couldn’t leave without having a bite to eat and a beautiful swim in the crystal clear water at 26deg. 
Headed home Monday still contemplating what could have been but hey, that’s fishing! 
It was great to catch up with Woodsy and his hospitality was second to none. We both know that I can’t leave it there and will be back ASAP! 

tight lines all, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 13

Know were you are coming from the place is over fished even the locals admit the fact. The mother in law lives at Currumbin, have fished the creek and Palm beach reef hard when visiting during Christmas . Never seen so many boats in one area 50 plus, have to do the yards to get a fish. No fishing licence required only pay once for a boat license never seen a fisheries officer ?

• Like 1

Didn't think you could get into Qld till December. Bloke from Brisbane bought  one of my boats and he can't come down till first week in December or he would have to isolate when he went back over the border.

Good to hear you got on the water, better fishing next time. Love Qld but always touch and go with the wind, specially up around Harvey bay.

Frank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Certainly seems your putting in some hard yards Scratchie.

Hope your luck turns around for you and nail a few fish.

Cheers mate! Yeah the effort is there but the fish aren’t! 

1 hour ago, Smobaby said:

Know were you are coming from the place is over fished even the locals admit the fact. The mother in law lives at Currumbin, have fished the creek and Palm beach reef hard when visiting during Christmas . Never seen so many boats in one area 50 plus, have to do the yards to get a fish. No fishing licence required only pay once for a boat license never seen a fisheries officer ?

I guess just so many boats and everyone wants a piece of the action. But the etiquette just doesn’t exist. 

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Didn't think you could get into Qld till December. Bloke from Brisbane bought  one of my boats and he can't come down till first week in December or he would have to isolate when he went back over the border.

Good to hear you got on the water, better fishing next time. Love Qld but always touch and go with the wind, specially up around Harvey bay.

Frank

Frank, because I live out of the CBD of Sydney I’m free to travel up there. 
I picked the weather window well and conditions were glamorous. Just wish the fishing was better! 

Thanks for the report Scratchie. A long drive and a lot of time spent on the water, coupled with the problems which you encountered with the boat and trailer. These things would normally create a level of annoyance in any angler. To your credit your many years of trials and tribulations simply create a "I'll be back" attitude. I hope you do get to catch up with Woodsy again and get among the fish which Qld have on offer.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for the report Scratchie. A long drive and a lot of time spent on the water, coupled with the problems which you encountered with the boat and trailer. These things would normally create a level of annoyance in any angler. To your credit your many years of trials and tribulations simply create a "I'll be back" attitude. I hope you do get to catch up with Woodsy again and get among the fish which Qld have on offer.

Cheers, bn

Cheers BN. 
Sometimes it’s all about the journey than the result! Gotta love fishing 🤙

• Like 2

Nice you had time away @Scratchie

@big Neil I am fast losing my "I'll be back attitude" 

It has been a while since I caught a fish. Last was hairtail :(

Anglers all over are reporting fishing being hard for a while now. Wonder what has gone wrong with our systems?

Jeff I cant believe Brandon is a learner driver oh boy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

I'm surprised you didn't hook a snapper on the skirts mate, two legends glad you snuck in a visit 

Haha! No snapper to be found up there mate. Too many people driving over the drift 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and photos.

Thanks 

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Nice you had time away @Scratchie

@big Neil I am fast losing my "I'll be back attitude" 

It has been a while since I caught a fish. Last was hairtail :(

Anglers all over are reporting fishing being hard for a while now. Wonder what has gone wrong with our systems?

Jeff I cant believe Brandon is a learner driver oh boy 

Thanks Donna. Yep they growing up way to fast! 
On the fishing side, not sure why it’s so quiet. Hopefully it changes soon. My patience is wearing thin 😩

40 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Not like your usual catches Scratchie, and that is why I fish mid-week if I can. 

An eventful time away by the sounds of it. Too many people staying at home and into the fishing.

Never fishing weekends again unless it’s trolling for marlin. Monday to Friday is the go! 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

Thanks scratchie its good to know the grass is not always greener on the other side. well done on your persistence. 

No worries! I’ve been out of foreshore ramp on a busy day and the Gold Coast makes that look like a quiet day 🤔

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

He has been taking me fishing!!!

He isn’t catching either. This is how I know there is something wrong. 
We did catch some crabs and flatties for dinner yesterday though :)

Nothing wrong with that, better than basa fillets from the fish shop. :074:

Thanks Scratchie & Brandon, it was a great weekend even with our dramas [flat tyres, Bungs, Brandon forgetting the winch handle haha] but yeah can't wait till the next trip but like you said no more week ends. 

Woodsy

On 11/26/2020 at 1:21 PM, back cruncher said:

Hi all...scratchie,fishings all about being in good company.

Your right there Back cruncher.

Hope you get back out there soon Mick, good luck with everything.

• Like 1