Botany bay 18.10.21 & the simple things in life

kingie chaser

Hi all, bit of a late report from yesterday.

Finally after being let out of the cage we are able to enjoy the simple things in life again & the old saying is so true where you dont know how much you miss something until its gone.

When the work roster came out over a week ago & I saw that I had the Monday I started salivating at the thought that I could finally get out for a fish but as we all know to well mother nature makes other plans so I tried to curb my excitement but still take all steps to get ready.

I had just the week before that done a service on the 25hp seapro, changing the gear oil, changing the impellor using a genuine kit, grease everything up ready to go.

Also to add, I have not changed the impellor since I have had the motor since 2010 & it looked as good as the new one! 

Again just to add, I retro fitted my sounder transducer to the other side of the transom(starboard) but it actually performed worse, those cheap Lowrance's are duds imo(mentioned from a previous thread)

The weather report looked magic, sunshine, light winds & zero chance of rain, magic :thumbup:

On the water by 6.30am, water temp 18*c, had a mate join me as well for some company which was great as I usually fish on my own, high tide was 7.45am so got the last hours or so of the incoming & intended to say till about 10am.

I mainly wanted to try for some flatties using my own skutes, early on the wind was a bit higher than the 8knt forecast & the drift was a bit fast.

Caught a few of squire on another baited line.

No joy on the skutes for so then decided to move over towards molly & try for some trevally using bait.

While we the lines out I decided to through out a metal just for the fun of it & ended up with 2 just legal Taylor but returned them to be caught another day. 

Ended up over at the cans, not much happened there.

Moved back to the 3rd runway & by this time the wind had dropped right off & we stayed out a bit longer because it was so nice.

Caught a few flathead on PS on 20mtrs of water, again just legal but returned. 

My intention is to always bring something home for dinner but at the end of the day 9 fish caught, 9 fish retuned but it sure was just fantastic being out on the water, with a mate,  feeling a tug on the end of the line again, some sun & sea spray on the face........................loved it 😁

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 15

Good stuff Adrian! 
Glad you were finally let out to wet a line. Would have done you the world of good and the 9 fish were just a bonus. I’m sure it was enough to get the juices flowing for the next trip! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good stuff Adrian! 
Glad you were finally let out to wet a line. Would have done you the world of good and the 9 fish were just a bonus. I’m sure it was enough to get the juices flowing for the next trip! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers scratchie, its always nice to show a pic of some bruit of a fish but when you haven't been able to get out on the water for months then as you say just catching a fish is a bonus 😁

Its a bit like when I used to play golf badly, I only had to birdie one hole & it made the whole day worth it & kept me coming back for more 😂

8 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Great report and im glad that you were able to get out for a fish!

P.s Sorry the the transducer idea didn't work:( 

Cheers BH, was worth a try!

I actually had to MacGyver the whole thing as the suction mount was from a Hummingbird & was much wider at the connection than the Lowrance. Still glad I tried it as now I know I dont need to drill new holes into the hull.

But of course I wish I had a sounder that worked properly though.

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great topic Adrian....time on the water with a mate is priceless and makes and makes up for the odd day where a feed doesn't come home:)

Absolutely :thumbup:

Next time out I want to target some whiting & bream but really I'm waiting for the kings to show up.

Got to tick that one off the bucket list for the bay, a legal king.

• Like 1

What a quality report! Not for the number of fish caught or the fact that you returned them all for another day, but because I can feel your excitement at being let out of the cage again. How good is the high you got from such a simple experience. Thanks for your uplifting report Adrian and tight lines for next time. bn

• Like 2

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

What a quality report! Not for the number of fish caught or the fact that you returned them all for another day, but because I can feel your excitement at being let out of the cage again. How good is the high you got from such a simple experience. Thanks for your uplifting report Adrian and tight lines for next time. bn

Thanks Neil, I think its been a very hard time for so many people in many different ways recently & also seeing other people being able to enjoy themselves when you cant does play on your mind a bit & at times can cause a bit of angst. 

I think the overall message is to not take the simple things in life for granted & take every opportunity when you can to get out there & do the things you love to do.

Its one thing Covid has accentuated!

12 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Thanks Neil, I think its been a very hard time for so many people in many different ways recently & also seeing other people being able to enjoy themselves when you cant does play on your mind a bit & at times can cause a bit of angst. 

I think the overall message is to not take the simple things in life for granted & take every opportunity when you can to get out there & do the things you love to do.

Its one thing Covid has accentuated!

You're dead right Adrian. Covid and the loss of my wife certainly hammered that message home for me. Don't put things off, if the opportunity arises take it while you can. Looking forward to catching up with dirvin, Pickles and Derek D in the next few weeks... then MURRAY COD seqason. bn