Lake St Clair Bass

LuckyFil

I'd been inspired by Pickles recent posts of some good bass fishing up his way on the Hawkesbury and had planned a day trip there for Monday this week. Fortunately Bob tipped me off to the impact of the recent heavy rains and dump of water from Warragamba which introduces a lot of cold water and shuts down the fish. So I postponed that outing for a while. My wife was keen to visit her sister who recently moved to Singleton so we did an overnight trip there Tuesday/Wednesday. I thought I may as well throw in the bass gear as I may be able to swing a visit to Lake St Clair which is not far out of town. I got a leave pass for the morning so ventured out looking forward to exploring a new waterway. Not having a boat/kayak with me I was limited to shore fishing in an impoundment I was not familiar with but thought I've got nothing to lose.

Anyway it turned out to be a great session with 8 hookups and six fish brought to shore and released, the best (first fish) went 42  and most being mid thirties and one about 28cm. They were hitting the lure like a train and I'd forgotten how hard they can fight often pulling plenty of string on the 10 pound line. 

IMG_4331.jpg.6b296404229cd02a5058b89bcdd3e588.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg.d5ad4e3f93880b8427ce37996c665aa8.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg.945724fc34465c417fe06e53097d9eed.jpg

A great outing and all the better as I had no expectations of actually landing a fish. 

Cheers

Fil

• Like 15

Lake StClair one of my very favorite places to fish for Bass. Used to go there about 3 times a year camping for a few days with lots of good mates. Sadly most of my mates have passed on but I still have plans to visit the lake again some day.

You done well from shore and usually a lot of water between the fish but when you find a hot spot the fishing can be exciting. I have pulled some fine Bass from the lake.

Frank

• Like 2

Awesome! Great Bass.

I go up to singleton quite regularly visiting family and always have interested in giving Lake St Clair a go, but figured it'd be best out of a boat. I might have to take an SP outfit next time and get out there for a fish. Do you mind giving me an indication of where you go shore based fishing around there (I've never been there before so am not familiar with it at all, only what I've seen on googlemaps)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seasponge said:

Awesome! Great Bass.

I go up to singleton quite regularly visiting family and always have interested in giving Lake St Clair a go, but figured it'd be best out of a boat. I might have to take an SP outfit next time and get out there for a fish. Do you mind giving me an indication of where you go shore based fishing around there (I've never been there before so am not familiar with it at all, only what I've seen on googlemaps)

I'll send you a PM

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:16 AM, LuckyFil said:

I'd been inspired by Pickles recent posts of some good bass fishing up his way on the Hawkesbury and had planned a day trip there for Monday this week. Fortunately Bob tipped me off to the impact of the recent heavy rains and dump of water from Warragamba which introduces a lot of cold water and shuts down the fish. So I postponed that outing for a while. My wife was keen to visit her sister who recently moved to Singleton so we did an overnight trip there Tuesday/Wednesday. I thought I may as well throw in the bass gear as I may be able to swing a visit to Lake St Clair which is not far out of town. I got a leave pass for the morning so ventured out looking forward to exploring a new waterway. Not having a boat/kayak with me I was limited to shore fishing in an impoundment I was not familiar with but thought I've got nothing to lose.

Anyway it turned out to be a great session with 8 hookups and six fish brought to shore and released, the best (first fish) went 42  and most being mid thirties and one about 28cm. They were hitting the lure like a train and I'd forgotten how hard they can fight often pulling plenty of string on the 10 pound line. 

IMG_4331.jpg.6b296404229cd02a5058b89bcdd3e588.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg.d5ad4e3f93880b8427ce37996c665aa8.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg.945724fc34465c417fe06e53097d9eed.jpg

A great outing and all the better as I had no expectations of actually landing a fish. 

Cheers

Fil

you didn't go for the yabbies~ red claw. i seen people catching loads of them

• Like 1