Sydney Kings - reluctant over weekend.

Pickles

The weather and family stuff has kept me away from my “happy place” (Sydney Harbour) for a few days,  but I had the chance to target kings for only the second time since lockdown.

@Hadsand his young bloke Jensen and I decided on a feed of kings and Flatties  so headed outside and south.

Live Bait was easy and with lollipop Yakkas and squid I was feeling confident. The weather was pretty good, with a mid morning change of tide and water temp at 20.1 degrees, so things looking good.
We dropped by at the artificial to seee if any kings lurking around the slimies and Yakkas and had a huge salmon take a Yakka (and some sergeant baker😞 on strip baits sent down for snapper). Then over to the headlands.
Each spot showed strong readings for kings and at the lighthouse at south head they were coming upon the burley trail, but they would not bite. Tried everything, lures, soft plastics, live bait, strip bait, pilchards, trolling, down rigging.

I rang a few of the charter boys I’m buddies with and they were having the same results. I changed down to 20lb gear and snodded 2 hook rig (always risky as a decent one will smoke you in 5seconds) and had two strong hits and runs, but no hookups and bait came back “crushed”.

Seems I’m going to have to pray with a touch more focus, but God was indeed good (always) as rain stayed away, wind didn’t hit its prediction and Jensen had good tussle with a big ray that put a smile on his dial and we came home with a feed of Flatties.

No photos as I ran over my phone rewiring my trailer😩 (the “life case” saved the phone, but crushed the lens on the case)

Edited by Pickles
Addition
  • Like 12

Well if you weren't landing the kings Bob ... I doubt anyone else would be.

Anyday you bring home a feed and had a day on the water is a good day in my books, even if it starts or ends with a crushed phone (eeek). Hope its fixable.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

The weather and family stuff has kept me away from my “happy place” (Sydney Harbour) for a few days,  but I had the chance to target kings for only the second time since lockdown.

@Hadsand his young bloke Jensen and I decided on a feed of kings and Flatties  so headed outside and south.

Live Bait was easy and with lollipop Yakkas and squid I was feeling confident. The weather was pretty good, with a mid morning change of tide and water temp at 20.1 degrees, so things looking good.
We dropped by at the artificial to seee if any kings lurking around the slimies and Yakkas and had a huge salmon take a Yakka (and some sergeant baker😞 on strip baits sent down for snapper). Then over to the headlands.
Each spot showed strong readings for kings and at the lighthouse at south head they were coming upon the burley trail, but they would not bite. Tried everything, lures, soft plastics, live bait, strip bait, pilchards, trolling, down rigging.

I rang a few of the charter boys I’m buddies with and they were having the same results. I changed down to 20lb gear and snodded 2 hook rig (always risky as a decent one will smoke you in 5seconds) and had two strong hits and runs, but no hookups and bait came back “crushed”.

Seems I’m going to have to pray with a touch more focus, but God was indeed good (always) as rain stayed away, wind didn’t hit its prediction and Jensen had good tussle with a big ray that put a smile on his dial and we came home with a feed of Flatties.

No photos as I ran over my phone rewiring my trailer😩 (the “life case” saved the phone, but crushed the lens on the case)

I fished all day around manly on Saturday and nothing was interested in biting the soft plastics. They just didn't care.

Its a sad feeling watching a huge trav looking at my lure and then swimming away. Didn't see anyone catch anything proper.

Edited by Denisfisho

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Well if you weren't landing the kings Bob ... I doubt anyone else would be.

Anyday you bring home a feed and had a day on the water is a good day in my books, even if it starts or ends with a crushed phone (eeek). Hope its fixable.

Cheers Zoran

Phone is AOK thank Zoran - it was the “Life proof” case (and lens cover) that got damaged, but saved the phone. I got a new one today, so able to use the camera again, but with the weather the way it is, mightn’t be able to get out for a while.

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

At least your fishing I was out Friday chasing kings didnt get one but one of the fish I pulled out spat out a small blue I guess pilchard about 30mm. I saved the rest of the green eye for a feed after that.

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

So the Kingies are still not fired up in the Sydney region Bob. How often do you rewire the trailer? Hope it won't be too long before you start to get a few into the boat. Cheers, Neil

It was my box trailer, not the boat trailer Neil,  but I usually do the boat trailer about once a year - but it is in use and in the salt water at least 3 times a week, so gets a lot of use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you know the kings have been a bit picky recently which even you are having trouble getting them. Wishing you the best on your next trip. This weather has been keeping them away but its alot better the going through another drought

On 11/21/2021 at 7:35 AM, Pickles said:

good to be out Bob, if your doing burley and you happen to attract a school of fish, toss a bait in with the burley unweighted, from pass experience, back when i was fishing on a boat, i remember one time, we were burleying with pillies, and a school of kingie came, but not of them were taking the bait on sinker, they will smash all the pillies drifting down, and we switched to a hook and no sinker and drift with just a chuck of pillies and we managed to hook them. might be worth while to give it a try next time~

• Like 1

Yep do this often Sam - tiny bit of pilchard, squid or yellow tail & use a no 6 hook (Mustad demon circle are only ones small and strong enough for kings - others all get straightened). But on Saturday, nothing would get them to bite 😞

thanks for your inputs though 

16 hours ago, fatcat531 said:

Great report.  I've been out the last couple of weekends and have had minimal luck finding yakkas and squid. It's getting damn frustrating!   Any recommendations for locations in the harbour?

Cheers

Hi fatcat - I have been getting the at George’s bay(Yakkas) and George’s Head (squid).

yakkas- burley with bread and use a 6lb hand line (unweighted) with a 10 mosquito brand hook - you’ll slay them

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Hi fatcat - I have been getting the at George’s bay(Yakkas) and George’s Head (squid).

yakkas- burley with bread and use a 6lb hand line (unweighted) with a 10 mosquito brand hook - you’ll slay them

Thanks Pickles!  Is George's Bay where Obelisk Beach is?  

Cheers

21 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yep do this often Sam - tiny bit of pilchard, squid or yellow tail & use a no 6 hook (Mustad demon circle are only ones small and strong enough for kings - others all get straightened). But on Saturday, nothing would get them to bite 😞

thanks for your inputs though 

haha its that kind of days then~ they gone smarter .

At least it’s almost summer (although you wouldn’t pick it with the weather we’ve been having lately) and they should come on the bite soon.

If the weather clears a little I might give it another go later on in the week down my way.

2 hours ago, fatcat531 said:

Thanks Pickles!  Is George's Bay where Obelisk Beach is?  

Cheers

Yep - in the corner of Obelisk towards “George’s Head” ( where the “pillbox” gun emplacement is). The headland in front is “George’s Head”, next-headland toward Balmoral is “Middle Head”

• Thanks 1