More Northern Beaches Whiting

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Couldnt help myself after mondays sandy R&R. Packed up work early again and headed out for another whiting session this time with old mate Ralph.

Almost pulled the pin when clouds and wind picked up with lightning and thunder but the forecast said this was over the blue mountains and heading north. So we trusted the weatherman and headed out.

Found a gutter which produced a few whiting then it went quiet. Packed up and walked another 400m or so up the beach and found what was a much deeper darker gutter. Produced another 8 or so whiting.

Absolute horsies tonight. Four of them just under 40cm and a few around 35cm. They make the just legals look tiny.

Just finished cleaning them and all the big ones were female and full of roe.

Lunch tomorrow will be whiting with a side of fries and garden salad.

Heading to Ulladula for a week from Monday plan to do some bottom bashing and give Burill lake a try for whiting.

Thx for reading.

Sam

20211203_225015.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Brained em’ again Sam - goes to show the wisdom in moving when things go quiet (stay in the same place doing the same thing the same way will usually produce the same result).

Well done, a nice feed there - all the best down south, I haven’t been to Ulladulla but hear some good reports of fish there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leonardgid said:

harbour fish  on their spawning  run my quess ,

Not from the harbour id say. Too far away from Sydney where i got those 🙂

7 hours ago, Pickles said:

Brained em’ again Sam - goes to show the wisdom in moving when things go quiet (stay in the same place doing the same thing the same way will usually produce the same result).

Well done, a nice feed there - all the best down south, I haven’t been to Ulladulla but hear some good reports of fish there.

Thanks Pickles. I must admit it took a bit of convincing for ralph to pack up all the gear and the beach chairs and trudge through the sand ! But it paid off. 

Thanks for the well wishes. I have a few friends who frequent Ulladulla and Burill Lake so have a few marks in advance.

54 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Another corker of a session! Very nice fillets from those great whites! Enjoy!

Thanks Jenno. They are one of my fav eating fish 😋

13 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great haul again. Well done.

Great photo.

Thanks Rebel. I was impressed by the size of them last night. Mostly big girls

Just now, Rebel said:

When I lved down the Northern Beaches, Snapper and Flathead were the go off the Beach.

Cheers.

There was a gentleman there last night chasing flathead but in the hour he was next to me i didnt see him pull any. Based on a few reports ive seen i suspect they are in deeper water atm

13 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders

Couldnt help myself after mondays sandy R&R. Packed up work early again and headed out for another whiting session this time with old mate Ralph.

Almost pulled the pin when clouds and wind picked up with lightning and thunder but the forecast said this was over the blue mountains and heading north. So we trusted the weatherman and headed out.

Found a gutter which produced a few whiting then it went quiet. Packed up and walked another 400m or so up the beach and found what was a much deeper darker gutter. Produced another 8 or so whiting.

Absolute horsies tonight. Four of them just under 40cm and a few around 35cm. They make the just legals look tiny.

Heading to Ulladula for a week from Monday plan to do some bottom bashing and give Burill lake a try for whiting.

Thx for reading.

Sam

20211203_225015.jpg

Great catches sam

im heading to burille lake as well in 2 weeks time😂 might see you around not your still there. The beach,’if I have ever fished, they hold massive whitting!! 40+!!! And also bottom bash, I go near the rocks

• Like 1

8 hours ago, papafish said:

Great catches sam

im heading to burille lake as well in 2 weeks time😂 might see you around not your still there. The beach,’if I have ever fished, they hold massive whitting!! 40+!!! And also bottom bash, I go near the rocks

Nice! You got me excited now. Send me an inbox when you arrive and well do a session together.

5 hours ago, beachwormer said:

That's my kind of fishing, well done. Augurs well for the rest of summer!

Did you find most bites ended in hookups?

Also, running rig with trace or paternoster?

Thanks mate. Its good fun. I have running rig with 1m of 12lb trace. Not at all strikes hooked up we lost about 5 or so fish. One fish i lost in the surf. Backwash from the waves put too much pressure and the leader popped.

43 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Well done, some nice fillets to come off those.

Always a good idea to bury them 👍 keeps them fresh.

Thanks mate. Yup fresh is best !!

On 12/5/2021 at 6:36 AM, 61 crusher said:

Great catch & just goes to show what persisting through the ominous weather & making a move can achieve 👍

Thanks Crusher. Fishing is always about persistence. Glad it didnt rain on us !

On 12/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, zmk1962 said:

Top stuff Sam. I may be breaking out my beach gear just to do the same in the near future.  Agree 100% you have to move to work the water until you find them. Enjoy the goods buddy. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Z. Let me know when you want to go and we can do a trip together 👍

On 12/6/2021 at 10:45 AM, Scratchie said:

That's a great haul there Sam. Fishing has so many alternatives. Casting a line off the beach is something that i haven't done in a while. Enjoy your trip south!

cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Jeff. This time last year we were in port. I would have loved to come back but the family wanted to change it up !. PS theyre regretting it now. Ulladulla and Port Stephens are chalk and cheese apart!

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 11:43 PM, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders

Thx for reading.

Sam

20211203_225015.jpg

Nice one again, what kind of rigs are used for catching these? Thx in advance