Port Stephens- Whiskers saga continues

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Well, where do I start!!! 

Launched the boat at the new ramp at little beach today on almost the bottom of low tide and no problems at all. The changes to the ramp seem to have made it finally user friendly. 
Headed straight up to the island with my good mate and didn’t even bother stopping for livies. Today was a plastics only session and we didn’t want to waste time. Just wanted to get in and get it done. 
Hit our first mark and my mate was on second cast. Good fish and in to the box it went. Next was my turn and I loaded up to nice one that gave a good account of itself and another was added. The wind at times had us shifting all over the place but once we started on a consistent drift the fish kept coming. After 3 drifts and nearing the end of the productive area I called to put in one more cast as I know this is whiskers territory. 
And with that next cast, I’ve found the bugger! The reel is screaming and I set the hook hard. Now we are locked in for the fight. With solid drag and line peeling at will I knew I had him on. I stopped his first run and had a bit of confidence as the set up I was using was my heavier 30lb set up. But the terrain that I was in, is undulating shallow water with good drop offs. And unfortunately, the bugger found a good drop off and busted me on it.
Normally, I let fly with a few choice words that aren’t covered in the dictionary but I just stood there and smiled as my mate looked perplexed at what had just happened! A quick chuckle as I explained to my mate who he was and then off to the next spot! 
Every new drift produced similar results with a couple of double hook ups and tackling with a few kings in the washes. We kept what we needed to fill our Xmas orders early and headed for home about 930am. 
Cracking morning on the water and managed to dodge the wet weather completely! 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

16B22899-280C-4747-848E-E7300A19B23A.thumb.jpeg.610e5dceab144edd8e7afe0324cd63d2.jpeg

4DCBC6DE-0025-4879-8508-4B00E0317547.thumb.jpeg.b996ff74d0df82348101fae8b30a02f2.jpeg

• Like 19

17 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Some nice fish mate.

always good when you can come home early with a decent haul, not that I know the feeling ha ha👍
Maybe next Friday 

Thanks Pete! Good luck if ya get out there 

16 hours ago, Larkin said:

Well done scratchie, you’ve got snapper fishing down pat.

Nice kingy there too. 👍

Cheers mate! Lots of practise 

16 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Well done (again) Scratchie ! .... I reckon by now Whiskers is so adorned with jewelry you'd be able to spot him shining in the water on approach ... Congrats on another great catch.  

Cheers Zoran

Mate, I reckon he’d look like liberachi 😂

16 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Whiskers is probably getting fat on gulps.

Better luck next time, but I guess part of you kind of want whiskers to stay out there because he gives you a reason to go out 🤣

Hahahaha, nah I want him on deck, then I’ll let him go again. But he has given me a few opportunities. He just plays dirty! 

16 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Ahhhhh.....another lost battle to the legendary whiskers. Hed have a fair few jigs hanging off his gob by now. Better luck next time. 

Great bag of eating fish as always 

Thanks Sam! Yep another lost battle. I thought I had him this time on 30lb. Crazy weight and runs! Frustrating 

15 hours ago, Hoods said:

I think we should call you "The Gambler"

I just don’t know when to fold them 😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Brendonjohnson said:

Looks like a choice session! That fish certainly has it in for you! 😂 the day will come!

Cheers. Bloody oath his day will come. 

13 hours ago, Restyle said:

Killed it! awesome day out on the water!

Thanks Restyle! Was good fun 🤙

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Jeff. That fish has your name all over it, OR is it several fish of a similar size and fighting power ?.

It's taken a few rounds off you but it's round 10/15 that counts and you will land it one day.

Frank

Thanks for the confidence Frank. 
I do believe it’s the same fish. Same area which is not a prominent or well known fished area. I only seemed to encounter it every say 8-10 trips. I’m starting to see a pattern of just after change of low tide 🤔🤔🤔

2 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

You’re sounding like Hemminway’s Old Man and the Sea. The man’s got to be the man, and the fish has got to be the fish. One day…

Not familiar with that book, but man can sometimes be fish too! You should see me at the pub 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

You are on fire scratchie!!! Well done mate.

Thanks mate! 

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Another great bag of fish again Scratchie.

Cheers yowie! 

3 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

You are the Snapper whisperer.

Thanks mate! Sometimes my prays are answered 🤙

Great stuff again, Jeff. You’ll get Whiskers one day! 😎

How do you think the new ramp will go when launching, or more importantly, retrieving solo? I’m worried I’ll fall off the thing trying to walk my boat onto the trailer with the rope(s). I’m not so keen on driving it on, at least until I get a boat catch. 😂

I only went for a land based session today. No flathead but it was good to get my feet wet. 😂

A fabulous report Jeff. Poor Whiskers must be front heavy by now with all the jigheads he has collected. Anyway you did really well and will have plenty of fish to eat for a while. No doubt you will be looking forward to tangling with him again...maybe next time he may come unstuck. Good luck bn.

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff again, Jeff. You’ll get Whiskers one day! 😎

How do you think the new ramp will go when launching, or more importantly, retrieving solo? I’m worried I’ll fall off the thing trying to walk my boat onto the trailer with the rope(s). I’m not so keen on driving it on, at least until I get a boat catch. 😂

I only went for a land based session today. No flathead but it was good to get my feet wet. 😂

Cheers Baz. High tide might be an issue as you’ll be wading in chest high water I assume. You will also have to watch the concrete sides. Low tide now though is no issue for any size boat! 

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

A fabulous report Jeff. Poor Whiskers must be front heavy by now with all the jigheads he has collected. Anyway you did really well and will have plenty of fish to eat for a while. No doubt you will be looking forward to tangling with him again...maybe next time he may come unstuck. Good luck bn.

Cheers BN. Yep poor whiskers hence the name! He’s a good adversary for me but I’ll get him one day! Or at least have fun trying! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Not familiar with that book, but man can sometimes be fish too!

Hemmingway was an American writer from the 40's and 50's, a big game hunter and game fisherman as well as a writer. That book talks about an old guy I think in Mexico who fishes from a small dory and catches a marlin on a hand cord line. He battles it for a full day and throughout the fight he talks to himself and the fish who he greatly respects about life etc. He finally wins the fight but the sharks eat the fish as he slowly returns to shore - yeah sounds like a tragedy but a great story well told. They made movie from it staring Spencer Tracy.

Reminded me of your respect for Whiskers....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Reminded me of your respect for Whiskers....

Oh absolutely! The day I land him will only be a brief holt of his liberties. He will definitely be returned to where he came from minus my 6-8 jigheads! Lol 😂 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Cracker result Jeff, snapper look really good, but that Kingies must have made the day worthwhile - great report, look forward to more (bakery closing down over Christmas / new year?).

Cheers Bob! That king made for some great sashimi. Always fun when you get a decent one on snapper gear.

Got a new job, so finally having Xmas off with the family this year. First time in 25+ years neither me or the Mrs working! So excited. Might even find time to wet a line 😂😂😂

15 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Cheers Bob! That king made for some great sashimi. Always fun when you get a decent one on snapper gear.

Got a new job, so finally having Xmas off with the family this year. First time in 25+ years neither me or the Mrs working! So excited. Might even find time to wet a line 😂😂😂

Brilliant Jeff (welcome back to the real world of “normal” hours) are you still working bakery business?