Kingfish adventures inside and outside the Harbour - spots revealed.

Pickles

@Roseville21sent a pm “let’s catch some Kingies”. Who can knock back an offer like that. It was a “tutor trip” to investigate bait grounds, rigs and tackle and hopefully Kingies. I’d previously planned to fish with buddy Peter N (not a Raider - yet) but he wasn’t keen on getting wet, so we decided to ignore the prediction of heavy rain and SSW moderate 10-15kt winds and headed out to hit the ramp at daybreak. It’s the first time I’ve seen the Roseville ramp car park completely devoid of cars, seemed everyone else also decided conditions were going to be crook.

We motored off in light drizzle and planned to fill up with Yakkas and head south (got 20kings a few days before at Ben Buckler,  so thought they’d still be there). We stopped at the artificial to see if any slimies or Kingies around as this can be a very productive kingfish spot - drifting. But there were none around and not much on the sounder so we headed back to the cliffs (Hornby lighthouse area) and then down south.

We burleyed up and then downrigged through, picking up 2 Kingies. I’m always keen to  try “alternative” methods, so after picking up nothing on some soft plastics, we put a squid on a jig head and immediately hooked up to a rat. As all the fish were sub-legal we decided to try back in the harbour stopping by at South Head to sound up - (Kingies showing, but not swallowing the baits) and headed back with the wind and swell at our tail.

We tried all the usual spots inside - ALL showing schools of kings on the sounder, but very reluctant to bite. We lost a few baits, but no hookups so decide to try under the Bridge pic gives location) and downrig around Goat Island where the kings hung around for about a month this time last year. We hit paydirt with Lelio ( @Roseville21) on the phone and me winding up and retrieving the downrigger (an electric Canon, which does an amazing job) He dropped the phone and bought an 80cm unit expertly into the net.

On the way back to the ramp we caught up with @blaxland- (always good to have a chat with Billy).

Im looking forward to his report - and more of “Kingfish adventures” in the future, it was an honour and a pleasure to spend the day with him - always good to get out with Fellow ‘raiders.

4507BB01-346E-4D00-AE81-CA1C5B16F51B.jpeg

27FE1DA5-D2D8-40AB-A19F-1DAA9105F5BD.jpeg

E1926E2B-9126-4024-A3DE-830931D14D10.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Edit
  • Like 13

• Pickles changed the title to Kingfish adventures inside and outside the Harbour - spots revealed.

Great photos & report Bob, you certainly know how to find those kings even when they’re reluctant to get on the chew 👍

Heard that just before the blow they’ve been around long reef & newie & seen a couple of rats coming off the stones, good to see they’ve finally arrived 😎

Edited by 61 crusher

hi pickles i was out on tuesday sailing not fishing unfortunatly and i noticed all the charter guys hanging off the red marker at the goat and i thought the kings must of been there and now you have confirmed for me cheers dunc333

Hello fellow Raiders, 

Being fairly new to NSW having moved up from Melbourne, I reached out to @Pickles the "Kingfish Master" as often mentioned here on our forums.   I wasn't sure what type of response I would get, but he messaged me back almost immediately and said sure let's go out together!  After looking forward to our meeting for a few weeks, we went out on a day which was forecast to have less than ideal conditions.   I learned a lot from Bob in a short time on the water, and I am thankful for it!

Other than marking some key fishing locations in the harbour, I now know that the key to catching fish consistently is prayer, and also that bananas are in fact good luck on a boat!   I'm looking forward to spending more time out on the water here and contributing with fishing reports.    Thanks again @Pickles and I hope to see you guys out there! 

• Like 3

Hey Bob. Looks like you're travelling well on the fishing front. Mate told me there's moves by those who are a mixture of blue and yellow to try to ban the use of live bait. Have you heard this and if so, what do you reckon?

Other Raiders feel free to chip in on this one as (if true) it would have a massive impact on angling across the board.

Neil

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hey Bob. Looks like you're travelling well on the fishing front. Mate told me there's moves by those who are a mixture of blue and yellow to try to ban the use of live bait. Have you heard this and if so, what do you reckon?

Other Raiders feel free to chip in on this one as (if true) it would have a massive impact on angling across the board.

Neil

BN Its outlined in this thread-

Sounds like you missed out on the petition & not sure where this is at the moment as far as legislation goes-

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/la/pages/epetition-closed.aspx?q=qBOar3qjYoueNu/qGMaIEQ==

• Thanks 1

Thanks for filling me in KC. I must have been doing a Rip van Winkle impersonation when that came up. Maybe they need to ban eating fruit and vegetables too. They are living and haven't been consulted as to whether they are happy to be murdered in such horrific ways. Same thing with grass and the animals that eat it. Should probably stop animals from eating grass and just let them die...oh, hang on, wouldn't that be cruel too?

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. GET A LIFE YOU LOT!

bn

• Haha 1

Hey Neil, Emma Hurst “Animal Justice Party” is pushing this agenda and the aim as far as I can envisage is to ban using live bait for fishing due to pain, suffering and anxiety it causes and then to ban fishing, even without bait (lures etc) for the same reason. This is a Greens and so labour supported policy (remember “Stop the Lockout”).

Edited by Pickles
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hey Neil, Emma Hurst “Animal Justice Party” is pushing this agenda and the aim as far as I can envisage is to ban using live bait for fishing due to pain, suffering and anxiety it causes and then to ban fishing, even without bait (lures etc) for the same reason. This is a Greens and so labour supported policy (remember “Stop the Lockout”).

Those green galoots want the human population to just eat fruit and veges, no meat products at all.

I would like them to go to Africa and tell the lions to eat grass. :074: Maybe we can export all of them there. 

It is obvious they have never been on a safari to see what animals eat other animals, or stuck their heads underwater to see that fish eat other fish for food. 

It is eat or be eaten in the animal world.

• Like 1